Help me protect my rabbits!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miss M

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
Most of y'all know we're moving to the country. It's getting really close now! :p

My problem is, I am not sure what I need to do to protect the rabbits out there. I've looked and looked, and I just don't know how far I need to go. :help:

Here in the city, I have had to protect them from:
Raptors
The occasional dog
Wandering cats
Raccoons
Opossums
Rats

I have done this with window screens and rat poison. I am aware that window screens would not stop an animal that really wanted in, but nothing has tried.

Where we are moving, I need to protect them from:
Raptors
Dogs
Cats
Raccoons
Opossums
Rats
Bobcats
Bears
Coyotes
Foxes
Probably other stuff like weasels and mink, etc.

How do I do this without breaking the bank, and without smothering the rabbits (Louisiana summer inside a shed? Don't know if that would work.)?

The neighbor has his chickens in a chicken-wire enclosure. He recently put up hot wire, after losing a chicken to something that was butchering it through the wire overnight. I thought you were supposed to shut them up in the wooden coop overnight... so maybe the hot wire is unnecessary?

But what is necessary for the rabbits? :SOSSOS:

Thank you all in advance for your suggestions! I just don't know where to start!
:thankyou:

one thing to research is the hot wire. There are hot wire set ups that run off of solar energy, too.

Never use chicken wire for anything other than to waste money. Hardware cloth is also fairly useless to the big animals you listed. Where ever you put the rabbits, I would put up a strong electric fence so there is a yard with the critters in the center.
1st strand 4in from the ground, 2nd strand 4in above the 1st. Rest 6in apart up to the 6th strand or more if needed.
If you're rabbits are in cages, birds aren't an issue.
In my state, it is illegal to poison any animal, other than mice and rats. So watch out for that.
For the big animals, check your laws. Are these rabbits your livelihood? If so, you may be able to shoot to kill only when the animal has crossed your fencing and is going towards/attacking your livestock.

I had a feeling I was going to be looking at electric fencing. I do eventually want to make it a solar setup, but right now, I just need to get something out there.

I would need the hot wire on the outside of something else, I'm guessing? Livestock fence or something? Or is hot wire enough by itself?

I mentioned the birds because of rabbit run plans, but it isn't something I need to worry about right now.

I do poison only mice and rats... wish I didn't have to do that, as I don't like using poison.

I have been looking up the laws. I've found the ones that have to do with dogs, but I'm having a little more trouble finding laws that say "here are your options for nuisance wildlife on your property." I'll keep looking, as I do need to find them!

Miss M":2nfujn96 said:
"here are your options for nuisance wildlife on your property." I'll keep looking, as I do need to find them!
SSS or trap and into the stock pot. I have heard that possum and squirrel taste good, and that their fur is nice, too. You may want to see what the hunting laws are in you areas, that may cover the nuisance animals, too.

We built a structure entirely enclosed with used chain-link fencing. Even the roof was chain-link, with a tarp over top. The pieces of chain-link were "sewn" together with heavy duty wire. We built this in 2005 and had absolutely no losses from predators. We did have a problem with rats in there at one point, but we dealt with that by poisoning them. I don't know if it would keep bears out, but except for bears we have the usual predators: coyotes, foxes, raccoons, hawks and owls, fishers, mink, weasels. I'll see if Midnight Coder will take a picture of it for you.

You might still want to run a hot wire if you decide to try this solution... because of the bears.

Piper":2675e2mg said:
SSS or trap and into the stock pot. I have heard that possum and squirrel taste good, and that their fur is nice, too. You may want to see what the hunting laws are in you areas, that may cover the nuisance animals, too.
Hope I'm not forced to SSS... I'd rather do everything above-board, but some laws basically want you to just to sit back and lose everything.
It is against Louisiana State Law to remove a protected animal without a permit.
It is against Louisiana State Law to kill a protected animal without a permit.
Protected animals are those such as raccoons, opossums, squirrels, certain snakes and alligators.
Coons? Opossums? Squirrels? Protected? What?
This was off of a pest control company's website. You'd think they'd know, but this just doesn't seem right.

Black bears are "endangered", though they're everywhere...

MaggieJ":2675e2mg said:
We built a structure entirely enclosed with used chain-link fencing. Even the roof was chain-link, with a tarp over top. The pieces of chain-link were "sewn" together with heavy duty wire.
I've got a friend with a huge structure like that, enclosing her chicken barn and a large series of yards around it. They added the chain-link roof when they started losing chickens to owls. They never had a predator problem after that, either.

Guess I'll start poking around on CL!<br /><br />__________ Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:13 pm __________<br /><br />Would a carport-type thing be sufficient with hot wire and maybe chain-link or livestock fence?

You could certainly use a carport as a frame. I don't know how big the holes are in livestock fence, so can't comment on it. But with chain link added, it should be just fine. You could also use a dog kennel - the big kind - and just add chain link to the top.

MaggieJ":132kczqe said:
We built a structure entirely enclosed with used chain-link fencing. Even the roof was chain-link, with a tarp over top. The pieces of chain-link were "sewn" together with heavy duty wire. We built this in 2005 and had absolutely no losses from predators. We did have a problem with rats in there at one point, but we dealt with that by poisoning them. I don't know if it would keep bears out, but except for bears we have the usual predators: coyotes, foxes, raccoons, hawks and owls, fishers, mink, weasels. I'll see if Midnight Coder will take a picture of it for you.

You might still want to run a hot wire if you decide to try this solution... because of the bears.

The previous owners here built just such a structure (probably for a dog run, or perhaps for goats,) and it has been perfect for chickens and rabbits. We built a little coop inside the structure and the chickens go in there to roost at night, but I don't usually bother to close them up.

The rabbit cages hang from the roof (I added more bars to match the cage depths).

Occasionally we get a rat snake in there, but that's about the only thing that can get in.

-Wendy

Raccoons will be your biggest nemesis. Those and opossums. The livestock wire has openings they can easily crawl through. Nothing less that 2" X 2" should be considered. "MAYBE" 2"X4" welded wire would be okay. But, young possums can "squeeze" through those openings at times.

I live in Missouri....any animal creating a nuisance or damaging my property or molesting my livestock can legally be shot, removed, or whatever. Prevention is your best option. Once a marauder locates an easy meal, they'll come back time and again until the source is no longer there, or they are dead.

grumpy.

I would check your state's laws for wildlife/animals harrassing or killing livestock. Even here in NJ, it is legal to kill any animal preying on your livestock.

We can kill nuisance animals that are threatening livestock here accept wolves. They are the DNR pet project gone out of control.

I think we can kill animals threatening livestock except for bears. Still looking for the actual ordinances, though.<br /><br />__________ Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:35 pm __________<br /><br />I really appreciate everybody's input!

I am far from living "out in the country" here, BUT I am in the same lattitude (NW Florida) and have been successfully keeping my bunnies in a garage which has busted windows and a side door with a hole in it, and possums are a problem due to folks feeding cats dry kibble "at will" (as in they leave it out at night), which the possums seem to view as a restaurant meal! So, I keep my bunnies cool via twice daily ice bottles, an oscillating fan, and their cages being on a table right between the open door and the window which has the dog run attached. And I was lucky in that the dog (a Spitz/Lab mix) seems to think the rabbits are either my puppies or her "job". We have had NO rodent pests, cats or possums, pretty sure due to the dog. Also, we have a 10'x20' chain link enclosure which I was cautioned to "put bird netting over", because we DO have hawks, but that area is completely shaded by live oaks (they never go bare), and I haven't ever seen one in the trees (I think they must nest in the pines, taller, less bushy). The squirrels have come down close chittering a time or 2 when the rabbits are out in the yard, but I make the "danger squirrel" noise and they freak and run! :tease: So if your property has an existing walled shed, fans (if you have power, or battery operated ones)with ice bottles should help keep the heat off, and then a nice doggy to keep away the critters. Though I do like that suggestion to catch and EAT the critters, LOL - I never heard of any protected squirrels or possums, folks shoot them all the time here (especially if they have pecan trees), and you will only get a complaint if the neighbors think your're shooting at PEOPLE!

We moved from NW Florida 2 1/2 years ago, Dragonladyleanne! :)

There are no existing outbuildings, as we are developing a previously undeveloped property. So I'm trying to figure out what combination of building/fencing I need to keep the predators out. I don't want to spend a mint if I don't have to, but I want to make sure I have sufficient protection out there from the start.

Danger squirrel noise?

Miss M":2pyafkps said:
Danger squirrel noise?

Heh, as a kid, I raised a baby squirrel from a nest my dad found inside his wiring run (mama would not take it back), and learned to make that sound squirrels make when fussing at you or a cat. Sort of a "click, click, WAAAHHHHHRRRRReeeee"! It involves tongue, mouth roof, and spitting out the side through your teeth, LOL

If I make the sound once, the squirrel freezes except for twitching his tail, staring at me as if I were the biggest squirrel EVER, then runs away from even my PECAN tree if I repeat.

__________ Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:00 pm __________

tm_bunnyloft":2pyafkps said:
We can kill nuisance animals that are threatening livestock here accept wolves. They are the DNR pet project gone out of control.

I have several nurse friends, so DNR automatically means "Do Not Resuscitate" to me. I think you must mean something else, though? My brain just can't think of any "endangered species" act abbreviation things right now.

dragonladyleanne":rqknd4ya said:
Heh, as a kid, I raised a baby squirrel from a nest my dad found inside his wiring run (mama would not take it back), and learned to make that sound squirrels make when fussing at you or a cat. Sort of a "click, click, WAAAHHHHHRRRRReeeee"! It involves tongue, mouth roof, and spitting out the side through your teeth, LOL

If I make the sound once, the squirrel freezes except for twitching his tail, staring at me as if I were the biggest squirrel EVER, then runs away from even my PECAN tree if I repeat.
:rotfl:

dragonladyleanne":rqknd4ya said:
tm_bunnyloft wrote:

I have several nurse friends, so DNR automatically means "Do Not Resuscitate" to me. I think you must mean something else, though? May brain just can't think of any "endangered species" act abbreviation things right now.
DNR here would be Department of Natural Resources. :lol:

Miss M":3fc8lf8j said:
Most of y'all know we're moving to the country. It's getting really close now!
My problem is, I am not sure what I need to do to protect the rabbits out there. I've looked and looked, and I just don't know how far I need to go.
How do I do this without breaking the bank, and without smothering the rabbits (Louisiana summer inside a shed? Don't know if that would work.)?
But what is necessary for the rabbits?
Thank you all in advance for your suggestions! I just don't know where to start!
How many animals (rabbits, chickens, ect) do you need to protect? Right now? 6 months? 1 year? By an year, you should have a good idea of what direction you want to take it in, how much it may need to expand / grow, and the best place to place it.

Back