Help! Lost 2 rabbits suddenly

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coffeenutdesigns

Reaction score
Just lost an adult and one baby, unrelated, separate cages about 3 cages apart, so not next to each other. The only symptom was sudden loss of condition. The adult was fine, in about 2 days went from healthy to feeling like it weighed nothing and not really drinking much, still eating. Then death. The babies all seemed fine and active, today when I checked them, instead of being part of the "pile" attacking the food dish I replenished, it was in the corner, felt like skin and bones. I removed it and it was alert but not to active, but could move. I set it in a qt cage, checked it a bit later and it was alive but not very responsive, back legs getting stiff. When I set it up, it kind of scooched sideways to move across the pen, then laid down again, so I dispatched it.

Right now, the rest are fine, but this was a sudden onset thing, so I really don't know what to do. The adult had a cage mate I removed from that cage and away from the other rabbits. The baby I removed from the growout cage, but all the others were still exposed, as well as the other litter right next to it. Not sure if quarantining would do any good at this point. I did move the other adult that was in the cage by the sick one.

Any idea what it could be or how to treat? No sneezing, coughing, or other symptoms until the sudden deterioration. Poops were still fine.

I did give several of the rabbits hay from the same bale. I didn't notice any mold or anything, but maybe? I don't know what kind of symptoms bad hay would cause.

Seems to me that several members have been losing rabbits this way. I don't know what is causing it. Could be something you are feeding, but you would think it would be more widespread if that were the case.

If it happens again, I suggest opening up the dead rabbit and checking the internal organs, particularly the lungs, liver and kidneys.

I'm very sorry for your loss. :( I read on one of the other threads there are a couple of feeds making matters worse for rabbits that get the intestinal virus. Manna Pro was one of them. That's the feed I use. :shock: But I haven't changed their food yet. The virus has already been here so I've been kinda chicken to change things now.
Which food do you use?
Hope the rest of your rabbits will be ok.

What brand of feed from TSC, theirs? I just lost 2 but managed to save a 3rd. Electrolytes and oats.

I just lost an 8 week old Holland kit 2 days ago. One day she was fine, the next day dead and bloated. I don't know what happened with her because she showed no signs of illness at all. I am feeding Mana Pro, and mixed grass hay.

The babies and their moms get Manna Pro, the breeders one gets TSC brand (Dumor?) with lower protein. However, it is always possible I mixed the feeds by accident, since my feed scoops look the same and my husband has been trying to "help" some lately. I haven't had an illness death since culling a few for pasteurella from my original purchase and only recently started using Manna Pro for the higher protein for my growouts. This is like my 2nd bag and only opened it recently.

I think I'll toss the hay to and start switching back to regular TSC brand and see if that helps.

So sorry Coffeenutdesigns.

You know, I read something the other day about a virus killing off piglets in China that has now spread to the US. I wonder if possibly something similar isn't happening here with all the recent unexplained rabbit losses so many of us are going through. I hope not.

This worries me, as I've also lost a couple of rabbits in the last week and I feed Manna Pro as well. I had two 4 month olds die (litter mates but separate cages) and they had the same symptoms as yours: loss of condition, unusually quiet, then death within a day or two.

I also had a 4 week old die a few days ago, but I'm assuming that was unrelated. That particular kit was always runty and about half the size of her litter mates. I was trying to give her the benefit of a doubt as to whether she'd make it but I honestly wasn't surprised that she didn't.

Mary Ann's Rabbitry":11w2nbhe said:
seems like you guys are all feeding mamma pro at one point or another.. I be wondering if that is your problem right there

Mines were dying before I switched back to Manna Pro, I was feeding a local brand that the breeder was using for years. Got her bags when I brought the rabbits from her house, and still lost 3 of hers on the same feed. I'm told feeds high in starch increased the problem, but I don't think MannaPro is the problem.

This is so sad, and becoming more distressing. I pray this will end with the changing season.

When my rabbits die suddenly, their intestines are usually full of gas like balloons and their stomachs full. Trouble is when I notice any change it's usually too late. Some get over it with baby symethecone.

Mine didn't have bloating at all. I have simethicon on hand for when I am weaning kits, just in case, but neither rabbit showed signs of bloat, just wasting. :(<br /><br />__________ Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:31 am __________<br /><br />Good news...I haven't lost any more *knocking on wood* Bad news, I have a full bag of feed I'm afraid to use :(

I lost my whole herd in a similar fashion. Most of the ones that didn't drop dead got sickly, so we culled the whole lot because it became too emotionally draining. The ones we planned on keeping for the table were all kinds of messed up inside.

After talking to everyone on every meat rabbit group/forum, the only thing that made sense was ERE. It works its way around a rabbitry, killing randomly, and the ones that don't die are immune. I don't know if that's the cause, because I never paid for a lab autopsy.

sorry you lost rabbits.

I also think there is something going on, I had a kit develop what looked like enteritis and though she recovered she was stunted and had weird behavior, I recently culled her and did a PM but found nothing weird, which disappointed me a bit because I would have liked to find something concrete.

Latest posts

Back