HELP for a friends bunny and her litter

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Northwinds Rabbitry

Reaction score
Hey,

Haven't been on here in a long while but I have a pet breeding bunny friend
who has a lionhead doe from me and she has had 3 litters shes on her 4th now
and she cant keep them alive this time she has made an awesome nest
but the babies die within a few days and it sounds like this round she doesn't seem to keep her milk therefor doesn't feed/take care of the babies.
also shes wondering if she just shouldn't be a breeding doe for this reason.
Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

If it were my rabbit, I wouldn't keep breeding her. I'm having enough troubles with maternal problems being genetic. :roll:

Has she tried holding the doe over the kits for nursing twice a day?

I suppose, if she REALLY wanted a kit from this particular rabbit, she could breed another rabbit at the same time and foster the babies to the more competent animal. If there is a disease issue, it risks spreading it to the second doe.
And also, with that method, there is always a chance that more babies will be born than one rabbit can nurse.

I agree with Zass.

It is possible, if this doe has been bred to the same buck each time, that it is some bad genes mixing and producing babies that can't make it.

As far as the doe taking care of babies goes, does your friend know that the doe will not usually pay much attention to the babies except once or twice a day for feeding? Many people think rabbit mothers will be like cat mothers, constantly grooming and being with their kits. But because they are prey animals, rabbits naturally pretty much ignore their babies except for feeding time -- and many rabbit owners will never catch them nursing.

It is also possible, as one thing Zass said indicated, that this doe doesn't know what to do after kindling. Perhaps she needs to be held over the babies twice a day for a few days, to get her used to nursing and get her milk going well? Or does your friend know that this doe has been trying to nurse them?

Just some ideas. If she doesn't get milk in, though, or she does get milk in but doesn't get the hang of nursing, I wouldn't be breeding her.

pet breeding bunny friend
who has a lionhead doe from me and she has had 3 litters shes on her 4th now
and she cant keep them alive this time she has made an awesome nest
but the babies die within a few days and it sounds like this round she doesn't seem to keep her milk therefor doesn't feed/take care of the babies.

Perhaps your friend is not feeding the Dam adequately.
If the Dam does not have enough feed and water available at all times to maintain herself,
she will not bother to raise the kits. She will use all her energy to maintain
her weight and health. Your friend might want to try adjusting
the amount of feed and water given daily. Just a thought that came to mind.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

Thank you all so nuch for your input and help!:).
Miss M I believe she is mixing the same buck to her each time.
And I think she knows about the whole not paying much attention to them but these guys are apparently
all shriveled up and not growing etc.
Ottersatin the ither day she was telling me what and how much she feeds her and sounds good she gets hay greens and veggies and then apparently she didn't like just regular rabbit pellets so she started feeding her some ither rabbit food with
little munchies or something in them and also apparently a bunch of minerals ("that they need").
shes open to anything so if there is something shes feeding wrong and wjat not she will listen and stop or do shes not a breeder (like for improving and showing etc) she justs wants the rabbits as pets.
Dood yes thet could very well be as she isn't that old maybe a year or not quite I cant remember but ya shes not that old.
and no its not from that liter.
Thanks all!!!

she gets hay greens and veggies and then apparently she didn't like just regular rabbit pellets so she started feeding her some ither rabbit food with
little munchies or something in them and also apparently a bunch of minerals ("that they need").

I believe that there is where the problem lies.
That [poor excuse for] Rabbit feed is so full of sugars and other junk food that
she is creating a nutritional imbalance. Like a child, a rabbit given the choice between
a properly balanced diet and a bunch of candy, will always opt for the Candy.
I would switch back to a Pelleted Rabbit feed which contains NONE of the sugery candy coated treats. I believe that within a short time your friend will see a change for the better
once they get used to and return to the nutritionally balanced rabbit feed.
As always, JMPO.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

It definitely sounds like a lack of nursing, lack of milk production problem.
(Which could be connected to an insufficient diet)
More of a higher protein pellet and a pink mineral wheel is the easy way to make sure it's not the diet. Most people free feed by the end of a pregnancy.
I'd be holding that doe over the babies to teach her to nurse too, and maybe feed some some parsley to help with milk production.

Once she realizes that those little wiggly things take the pressure off her mammaries, she should start doing it on her own.

Thanks Zass!! I will pass this along to her aswell (its also great help for me in the future maybe or just to have that knowledge!

I concur with the bit about the diet... although with a good rabbit pellet, the mineral wheel should not be necessary. It won't hurt anything, though.

Most pregnant/nursing does need feed that is at least 16%, some do better on 18%. I went to a Petco recently, and there was one feed that offered something like 14.5% protein, and all the others were less. She can get "Small World" rabbit feed at Walmart. It is made by Manna Pro, a well-respected feed producer, and is 16%. :)

Latest posts

Back