Help figure out the breeds

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

preciousgurl63

Reaction score
Just curious if anyone could possibly help figure out what breeds she is. My friend and I are puzzled. My friend got her from a shelter and they told her she was a husky chow chow mix. She believes them but to me I don't think that's correct. To me she looks like a shepherd rottweiler mix. In your opinion what do you guys think?

Attachments

• IMG_20151229_011815_676.JPG
    IMG_20151229_011815_676.JPG
    120.2 KB · Views: 1,317
Yeah but she believes the shelter. This is her first dog ever. So she is believing everything they say. I told her she shouldn't of got her. She is head shy and doesn't like kids which is bad because her best friend has 2 kids under the age of 4. Dog already snapped at the 4 yr old because she was crawling around like a puppy. If the dog wouldn't of been locked up she would of bite her face.

Question: In your opinion would you keep knowing she can't be around kids when you want kids? Also can you train a dog to like kids?

The breeds really do not matter much in that case, but the behavior does. A dog certainly can be trained to respect it's owner's wishes.

I still feel it's not an ideal situation for an inexperienced handler.
For the children and the dog, it's downright dangerous.
Best to keep the dog and friends-of-the-owner's-kids apart until the owner learns to at least read the dog's body language.

__________ Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:12 pm __________

Personally, I have very calm dogs that have never snapped or bit at anyone.
A pitbull and a newfoundland.
I still have never allowed friend's children or my own to do things like crawling around pretending to be a dog with them, or any other type of play that a dog may find annoying or threatening.
I taught my own kids to understand dogs and how to interact with them comfortably from an early age.
I also taught my dogs that they should not pay too much attention to or become excited by children at all.

My dogs are really too big to engage children physically IMO, even playfully, and I'd rather the dogs just learn to be calm around kids.

When children who do not understand how to play around dogs visit us, I still confine my dogs in the bedroom. It's for both their own, and the children's protection.

Zass":1o9qkylw said:
The breeds really do not matter much in that case, but the behavior does.

YES!

Some dogs just don't do well with children. My own dog, a Malamute, does not like it when small children run up to her and hang on her neck. As your friend does not have children of her own and had the dog locked up when children were visiting, it sounds like she is doing what she can. With training, the dog could be fine with well behaved children some day. However, if your friend wants children someday, she might want to reconsider the dog and find one that is better suited for small children.

If it was a huskychowchow it would be much fluffier. I'm going rott/sheperd mix. When mixed they make great dogs. No dogs can't be trained to like kids, at least not in opinion. Just like some people don't like all kids but well mannered kids is a different story. But kids can and should be trained to be around dogs. Dogs don't like their ears, tails, or paws messed with, so as an owner you should try to desensitize those areas as much as possible, but kids love to play with ears, tails and paws. Plus a child has no idea how to read a dogs body language. Kids get right up to a dogs face and then the parents ask "What happened he/she was always a good dog. I have no idea why he/she would tear my son/daughter's face off."
Also look out for the dog getting jealous. Have your friend treat the dog like a dog and not a kid that will soon be replaced with a real child. I could go on but this is already getting to long. :oops:
Cathy

I understand that kids should be well mannered. The 4yr old is very very good with animals. She lives on a farm with chickens, roosters, lots of rabbits, 7 dogs and 3 cats. She cares for all of them. Very respectful towards animals. She knows not to touch or get in a dogs let alone any animals face. I was there when the dog snapped at the 4yr old. She wasn't even close to the dog when she jumped up and snap at her. She was about 3 maybe 4 feet away from the dog. I don't think the dog likes kids that crawl which isn't good because all kids crawl before they walk. Also the dog doesn't like other dogs which isn't good because the family always has get togethers and those people bring their dogs. I've tried to tell her that she shouldn't of got her because of all the issues she has. That she should of got a dog that fits well in with the family but she rushed in and got the fist dog she seen. She doesn't even know if the dog likes cats or rabbits which she has both. She really didn't think about what she got herself into with this dog. This dog even snapped at her uncle. I don't think its a good match but she won't listen to me.

Unfortunately this is a huge problem with people. Not every dog will fit every home. It sounds to me that what this dog needs is a experienced handler. She might have had a hard life and snapping has been her only defense. Or she could just be a jerk. I have a jerk for a dog. He humps everyone/thing, despite being neutered, takes other dogs' toys, will steal food and fight with other dogs, will bite both my husband and my daughter and any one stupid enough to put their face close to his. Like I said he's just a jerk. But with the snap of my figures he stops what ever he was thinking of doing. He's not the type of dog you can just sit back and enjoy. He's a challenge, and I love him even more for it. I don't ever allow him around kids without me having him on a lease and at my side. My cousin in-law's daughter is albino and is legally blind, like my husband, so to see something she has to get real close. I mean up in your face, I can smell what you had for breakfast close, to see who you are or what something is. So Teddy Bear is not allow to be around her ever. I know he would bite her in a heart beat.

With that said he was to be put down when I got to the pound. They released him to me because they knew who I am and how much experience I have handling red zone dogs.

Unfortunately your friend is one of those people who will never listen. One day this dog is going to bite someone, and at that point it's back to the pound, to the vet to be put down, or even charges brought against her. When all the animal needs is the right home and she could blossom. :cry:

Quit :wr_wall: Give her all the information and let it be. At some point she's going to start the stories of how horrible the dog is. Just bite your tongue and nod. People like this make me want to :wr_shake: till the rattling stops. :twisted:

I don't think you'll be able to convince her otherwise on this dog if it was an impulse buy. I'm not sure why the shelter would have allowed her to adopt the dog knowing it has behavioral issues without some proof she is capable of training it herself or willing to hire a professional, seems like both parties are at fault here. :( Some gentle reminders of how much work the dog will be when she has company or if she wants to travel with it as well as letting her know that if the dog bites someone she could get into trouble and the dog will probably be put down might make her reconsider. Sadly past that, there's not much you can do except be careful around the dog yourself if it really is that bad. I hope for the best.

From my experience, city shelters do as little as possible. The next town over refuses to adopt rots, pits or dobies. because they take a little more time to place. So any that come in are put down once the 3 day 'wait for owners' time is up.

I believe that it's about the resources the shelter has. Mostly.
But some just adopt out with no regard to whether the animals and family are comparable. And then you have the non kill shelters that it's nearly impossible to get an animal from.

Just my thoughts,
Cathy

She's too cute. With those ears I would almost think she has shar pei in her. Have a family member that adopted a shar pei/husky mix and she looks a lot like her. Well except for the coloring. She's black sliver.

I second the possibility of shar-pei in her mix because of the forward little triangle ears. Also, with her behavior and that cute face, maybe some akita. Perhaps, shepherd/shar-pei/akita. That would be a combination likely to have serious alpha personality and also a strong urge to attack other dogs and smaller animals (or children acting like animals.)

There are genetic test kits that can tell you with a blood sample what breeds are in your mutt's heritage. But they only test for about 60 breeds, so some are missed/left out.

That kind of dog is NOT a good fit for a first time owner. If she's not dominant enough/firm enough, that dog is going to do whatever it wants. But of course, like others have said, it's unlikely she will listen to your advice. If you can do nothing else, convince her that the dog should not be unsupervised around those kids. :( It would be heartbreaking if the situation escalates beyond that initial snap. What did your friend do when the dog snapped at the kid? That snap could have been the dog testing the waters. Depending on the reaction, it might be more than a snap the next time around.

Well to let everyone know there was another sign of aggression. I decided to show her that her dog shows unpredictable body language signs. My sister n law and I was over there again. Sister n law had her 4yr old and infant. Well the owner of the dog was standing at her bedroom door wholing the baby while me, sister n law and 4yr old was getting our stuff to leave. Well since dog was locked up and sister n law was there I showed the dog owner. I stood 3-4ft away from the dog. I told me niece to talk normal(no baby talk) to the dog so she gets use to your voice. Well dog was wagging her tell like she liked her. Well I slowly sat my niece down in front of me to seen if she has issue with smaller kids. I then stood her up and as I did the dog jumped up from a sitting position to grawl and bark at her. So I was like OK let's see what she does if she walks out of the room. I had my niece walk slowly (not talking, running or anything that might get the dog excited) out the door as she turned around an started walking the dog jumped up hitting the side of the cage so hard that she moved the cage across the floor grawling, sounding teeth and barking. Everyone couldn't believe it. The dog was only like this when the kids back was turned. So told niece to leave and go to living room. Sister n law wanted to see if it was just small kids so after she got her coat on she grabbed the babies blanket. She put it next to the cage. Dog sniffed it then got tense. The dog will stare at the baby whoever has him with this stare that eats right through you. As she stares she is tense. I don't have faith that this dog can be saved. Something terrible must of happen in her life(unless its the poor breeding).

She plans on taking her to a trainer Thursday to she what he says. Owner told me the trainer said she is probably just scared. Could be true but how she stares at my nephew and lunged at my niece for no reason I think she wants to kill them. It's a accident waiting to happen.

And to answer your question LPH_NY she just walks in the room with this friendly type voice asking hey what are you doing and sometimes she will even go scratch her forehead. Not the right type of language in her voice or body to be correcting a dog that has done something bad.

Based on that description of the behavior, the dog sounds like it has an extreme alpha personality and a lot of jealousy toward the kids (particularly the baby) for the attention they get from others. Only very experienced owners should take on very alpha dogs. Those dogs never stop trying to assert their dominance and kids are easy to dominate.

I was a self-employed pet sitter for 2 years. There was only one dog I ever looked after that I saw this kind of behavior from. He was an akita. I could not ever turn around and let him see my back (he would charge). I had to advance very carefully and get him to go outside through the doggy door before I could give him food and water. He barked and growled at me every moment I was in his house. I refused to ever look after that dog again. He was "fine" with his own family. But any outsider was an immediate threat to him and his authority over his house. Some dogs are born very alpha and others become that way by having owners that refuse to be pack leaders. Very alpha dogs can be of any breed. Some breeds just create more of those personalities than others.

IMO, most dogs can be rehabilitated... however, not all owners are equipped to handle the kind of dog that requires constant psychological maintenance. I think if this dog is given a pass to avoid being put down, it should be with someone more properly equipped to handle it. It just sounds like your friend would be way better off with a naturally submissive dog that doesn't require a lot of firm boundaries.

I agree.
It may be more humane to allow a shelter to euthanize a dog like that, than it is to leave it in the hands of an inexperienced owner.

Most dogs have very reliable and easy to read body language, but I can think of at least one exception.
I was about 10 years old, visiting some friends. We were outside playing. Their home was pretty far back in the woods, so they habitually allowed their dog off a leash.
Medium/large sized mutt, no idea what was in his genetic makeup, but he was fluffy.
He seemed quite friendly too, I had been there for a few hours and had pet him several times.

I still don't know what the trigger was (personal space? location?), but the last time I reached over to give him a pat he freaked out, lunging and snapping at my face.

I managed to throw my arms up over my face, and dodge out of the animals immediate reach..

The parents of the kid I was hanging out were thankfully right there and saw what happened. They grabbed the animal quickly and made a big fuss over me. They must have known the dog had aggression issues.

Two years later, I was informed that the same dog had been put down, after biting a child's ear completely off. :cry:

I still wonder why the dog's owner hadn't taken measures to prevent it when they clearly knew he had issues!!! :evil:

Back