help encourage a doe to get in the mood?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LPH_NY

Reaction score
So I have a very nice, meaty, gorgeous doe that I have been trying to breed. She's had 2 strikes for not allowing breeding/not getting pregnant.

She was purchased as a proven doe, so she has successfully kindled and weaned a litter in the past. I've had her since the end of August.

She DOES NOT lift. She simply doesn't want anything to do with breeding. She tries to dominate the buck if we allow it. We have tried table breeding with no success. It doesn't matter how we position her and we've held her tail up for the buck - she just won't let him in. We spent at least 2.5 hours trying (in 4 or 5 sessions - not all at once!) She gets ACV in her water regularly. Quality grass hay, alfalfa pellets, small organic grain ration (like 2 Tbsp per day.) We have left her and the buck together for 24 hours and still no success. I've tried 4 days in a row and she still is unwilling. Her vent is clean, but not the dark pink/purple preferred for breeding. She does the haystache/nesting thing about 2 weeks after putting her with a buck, but never nests when we would expect her to be due.

We are about to give her one last try. Hubby has 3 days off and we will start tomorrow. I've heard that going on a car ride can help, so I will probably try that. What else - what can I give her or do that will encourage her to get in the mood? Are there herbs that can help?

I am following this thread, since I have a doe much like yours. Plants her butt. The other day I put all four of my bucks with her concurrently, just to try to get her worn out a little. (I think my NZW did the job, maybe.)

My suggestions are these:

* let her live overnight in the buck's cage and put him in her cage, the scent of a buck might "put her in the mood"
* if both rabbits are docile, I've had good luck leaving the pair together for several days - you may not witness breeding but I've had about a 90% success rate this way
* try a different buck if you have one, some does aren't receptive to a certain buck for whatever reason

I've had success putting the doe in with the buck for 10-15 mins at a time, every other day. After a week she is in the mood :mrgreen: I check her color frequently. Flippy floppy cages works also. But I would never leave a doe with my buck. :x I like him too much to see him get shredded.

I will try swapping cages tonight.

I can't just put her in with the buck for 10-15 mins. Our hands have to be on her 90% of the time. We have to stop her from aggressively mounting the bucks - constantly. At least, until she is utterly exhausted. That was the case when we put them on the barn floor together overnight. We'd tried table breeding 4 days in a row with constant handling (because if we took our hands off her face, she immediately went to mount the buck.) We wore her out over those 4 days and even tried putting young bucks to the test just to help exhaust her. On the fourth day, she was submissive and calm, so that was when we left them together. I know it was a risk. I felt comfortable with the amount of space they had together and I watched him follow her for 15 minutes before finally walking away. I don't advocate that other people do it, but at that point I was feeling desperate. But after their 24 hour honeymoon, she still didn't conceive, so that didn't work. Although she became "submissive" she never showed any signs of being "receptive."

I have one mature buck and now one 4 month-old who is eager to at least try. I wouldn't care which buck impregnates her... I just want babies from her. I never expected to have a doe this unwilling to do what rabbits do best!!

I swapped cages and it didnt make a difference in the end. My other thought is she weighs too much? I really need babies out of this doe!! <br /><br /> -- Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:20 am -- <br /><br /> I swapped cages and it didnt make a difference in the end. My other thought is she weighs too much? I really need babies out of this doe!!

Her mounting the buck will destroy he's self confidence and make him shy to breed. My poor buck took some good hits from a doe or two. But I never leave them alone. I put her in his cage and stand by for 10-15 mins. Once I sat and watched them cuddle for 3 hours :x Never again. That's when I started doing the 10-15 every other day. Some place the doe between 2 bucks, in cages of course, :lol: :lol: after about a week or two she's ready.

Sometimes the problem is nutritional. Vitamin A and Vitamin E are both essential for willingness and successful breeding. Feeding dark leafy greens for a week or two (parsley or dandelions are good) will take care of Vitamin A. If your rabbits are not used to greens, start slowly and work up to a nice handful daily. Sunflower seeds or wheat germ will provide Vitamin E.

Another rather off-beat idea is to offer her a bowlful of Celestial Seasonings Raspberry Zinger Herbal Tea for a day or two before breeding. Sounds ridiculous, I know, but too many people have had success using it with stubborn does to entirely discount it. Perhaps one of the herbs in it is useful.

Hmm... might have to try the cage swap thing too.
I've had a lot of trouble with a doe just like others in this thread.
She is down right grumpy about it and actually bites at the buck (no damage has been done but I don't like risking harm to him).
We have had success breeding her but it takes multiple times and grumpy episodes that are stressful. She has nice litters and is a great mom but the breeding her is so frustrating that I just put her up for sale - though I really don't want to sell her. I may just try this cage swap idea before giving up entirely! I'll keep following this thread too! I appreciate the tips.

Mine love to breed in an exercise pen. It's a neutral environment, but they are also on the ground and able to run as nature intended:). Something about the fresh air and open space that makes them want to breed!

Latest posts

Back