HELP Baby is WAYYYY too small!!!!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ciscorox

Reaction score
My 'rescue bunny' that came to me almost a week ago gave birth last night (we knew she was pregnant) and I counted the babies and looked at them to make sure they were all eating. Well one is HALF the size of the others!!! He is squirming around and healthy looking but doesn't have a full tummy like the others. Momma is VERY aggressive and will not let me touch her right now. Do I need to pull the baby? Will he be ok? Or should I just give him and tell myself that it happens..? Please help I have never had a bunny born this small before.

I just had a litter of 9. Seven huge chocolates and two lilacs. I was so excited, as I had never gotten a lilac before, but alas they were only the size of my thumb. I pulled one and tried to use the game changer formula on this site, and it lived two more days. I lost the other one as well. When you are born so small you just cannot fight your way to the milk bar against babies two or three times your size. Mine passed in a nice warm dark place after eating a good meal, so there are worse ways to go. Maybe some day I will get to keep a lilac, but sadly not this time. You can just leave it alone, or do away with it quickly, but do not count on it surviving. it is natures way I suppose, though I think it kinda stinks.

It's really up to you how much you want to intervene. The best chance for him, IMHO, would be to remove all the kits from the nestbox and then slip the small one in first to eat, then when he's had a good attempt add the others. This way he won't have to fight his way in and may do better if it's not a struggle. I tried this when I had just one kit this winter, and the doe really doesn't care if you come and go with them, because they only feed them twice a day usually anyway. Your doe may get aggressive when you try to remove them but see if you can do it under her radar:)

I have a question about this. I tried flipping the doe and letting them nurse but they just suck a second or two and then act like there is nothing there. I am thinking you can put babies on a doe but if she is to ticked off to let her milk drop, or just got done nursing and has no milk built up yet, what can you do? I have never had any luck forcing a doe to suckle if she is not ready to.. I have had several litters and have NEVER caught a doe nurse her littler, and mine are under cameras I can check on my pone 24 7. Babies are growing huge, so I know they are eating, I just never catch them doing so.

Runts aren't uncommon, that happens.
When the others are fed well you can take some (about 1/3) of the bigger kits out of the nest for one feeding (put them in a selfmade nest to keep them warm), so that the smaller one has a better chance to drink and catch up - one feeding can make a difference. Mark the kits you took out and at the next time take some others out.

They are careful and most don't go near the nest while feeling watched, but mine usually feed around dusk and dawn.

I tried to nurse a runt by putting it in my lap and holding the doe above once, but she struggled and injured the kit with her claws...

Just try to hold the doe (wear gloves and few layers of clothes ) in your lap and put your hand with a kit under her. When one of my firsttimers didn`t get all of the mothering things, I put towel in a bidet (bucket of some sort will do), doe on the towel and babies under her. I hold her TIGHT for the ears and scruff, because she also didn`t want to have anything to do with me.

macksmom98":1qgubrha said:
and the doe really doesn't care if you come and go with them,

My best doe is not aggresive at all. Until I take babies from her, then she charges me fiercefully and bites hard. <br /><br /> -- Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:25 pm -- <br /><br />
BlueHaven":1qgubrha said:
I tried flipping the doe and letting them nurse but they just suck a second or two and then act like there is nothing there.

This is not a natural position for neither of them so that may be the reason she doesn˛t drop milk or that babies can`t figure out how to drink.

I would also consider that this baby is a peanut and not just a runt. A peanut looks pretty normal some times, except for size, domed head, and some times v'd or pinched rear/legs. They can be very active, but in the end they won't live/thrive. There's been recorded instances of up to couple years, but nothing more. They don't make it, if you can I'd take a picture or look at pictures of peanuts on the web to see if similar. If it is, no matter what you do...they will not make it, sorry.

I took away the healthiest 5 babies and left the little one (she only had 6 in total) in there so she would feed it. I think I am going to put the rest back in tonight and let them eat and pull them again in the morning. I will take pics in a few seconds and post them. Thanks for all the advice guys. I don't think he is a "peanut" baby but honestly I'm really not all that sure. I still am confused on what it is exactly and I looked at pics on google. <br /><br /> -- Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:48 pm -- <br /><br />
vl06u.jpg

This is just her
abl6o8.jpg

This is her next to another from the litter which I actually left them both together for warmth
2qvqlmx.jpg

This is the 'nesting box' I made for the other babies

That looks like a peanut to me, domed head and pinched hq...they will slowly waste away. I'm very sorry, always hope just a runt but it happens some times. Looks like the others are nice and happy/fat though :) She did a good job and so did you with your "nest".

thats a peanut .. .. the huge eyes are also a dead giveaway. teeny tiny ears, poor rear end.

Suggestion... Just end it's life. Seriously.. just let it go.. it's better than it slowly starving to death. Place it in your hand and throw it on hard ground with follow through. It might sound harsh...but letting anything healthy or not to slowly starve isn't what I would call humane caretaking.

My first thoughts were it's hard to tell if it's a peanut from the pics because they aren't real clear and lots of hair covering the kits, but Rebel Rose and Ladysown would know. You can google or look for more posts on here to see more pictures and info on peanuts, and compare the pics with yours.....

The kit passed last night (I've been working all day that's why I am just now getting on) And I found another dead one under her feed dish when I got home but didnt count any missing babies. My friend said she probably passed it today as a stillborn. So the other 5 are healthy except for one that's a bit skinny but I rearranged them so he was on top. R.I.P peanut baby. Thanks for all of the advice guys :)

Sorry about your luck, this is never easy to go through but sounds like it was inevitable......enjoy your other babies!

Latest posts

Back