Hello! I need Help, want to start raising Netherland Dwarfs

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mini Rex Breeder

Reaction score
Hi im new to raising rabbits. Got my first breeding rabbits 1year ago. those are mini rexs. Now i want to raise Netherland Dwarfs. I know my Breeder(s) But i have a few questions;
1. How many should start of with?
2. How many does can HAPPLY live in a cage thats 30by36by16?
3.Is there certin colors i can breed together?
4. is $20 a good price for 4-h show bunnies? with papers i think.
The colors im going to get are:
Buck; solid Chocolate. Does; Chocolate Otter
buck; Solid Blue. Does; Blue Otters
Buck; Solid Black, Does; Black Otters
i think im going to get a trio of thoses colors. Can they breed to each other?
i do plan to line breed, so im going to keep the "good" buns.
What do ya'lls barns/lean-tos look like?
i need ideas. Thanks, and i have pics of what i was thinking about doing ill post them latter. :D :bunnyhop: :pancake: :all-ears: :thankyou:

My quick advice to all those questions is go slowly. Don't buy all your stock all at once, you can always get more rabbits later. Get quality, not quantity. Leave some room/cage space to change your mind later.

1. Only start with three, a breeding trio, the best buck and two does you can afford. A long car ride to get an $80 dollar show quality buck and two $40 dollar does will be better than 6 $20 mediocre rabbits. Get quality not quantity. If the babies you breed come from quality stock you hopefully will get your money back when you sell the quality babies. Also, spend more money on the buck because, if you are lucky the buck will breed for 5 years or more, and you can always resell them to other breeders even after they are a couple years old if they are show quality and proven, but the does can stop breeding after 3 years, and you can't really resell them after three years. So the quality of the buck is the most important. You need two does because you always breed the does at the same time, incase one abandons her litter or has a single kit (which will freeze if left alone in the nest), you might need to foster to the other doe.

2. Does should not live together, too risky, there's a small chance they will get along if raised together as babies, but once they get hormonal they get very moody and territorial and you can't underestimate how vicious they can get... they can kill each other, plus vet bills. To be safe you need separate cages for each doe.

3. There are certain colors that go together, Here is a table chart that tells you the colors. http://www.angelfire.com/mi4/bunnyrun/COLOR.html

4. I would either get the chocolates, or the blacks and otters but not all colors all at once. (check compatable colours chart link above). Pick one color and only get 3 in the color you like best, again "Buy quality, not quantity" go slow like I said above, and Learn from the first three rabbits you get. They will keep you plenty busy. Once you get their set up perfect and the way you like it, then make plans to get more. Once you buy your first rabbits you will probably see other rabbits out their that you wish you would have gotten instead. Trust me, I bought Otter Nethies when I first started and then I saw a Blue eyed White rare nethies for sale, so I wanted those, and then I saw Jersey Woolies and wanted those instead.... once you start breeding rabbits, something better always comes along that you wish you would have gotten instead... you change your mind, and then you run out of cage space.

Also, go slow because when you get your rabbits, unexpected things happen, like mysterious unexpected illnesses no one can figure out, and vet bills, and stuck kits, abandoned kits, and racoons... and did I say vet bills.

Also, you may already know this but....
With Nethies you need to read all about the dwarf genes first, and understand the genetics of peanuts and why they happen before you start buying stock. You definitely want a true dwarf buck, but you might want false dwarf females (BUDs). And you definitely do not want a false dwarf male (BUB) and true dwarf females. So, before you shop for your stock you should know all about the genetics, and the following terms... true dwarf, false dwarf, BUD, BUB, peanuts, hippo, max factor, stuck kits.

Mini Rex Breeder":di1q0ifg said:
Hi im new to raising rabbits. Got my first breeding rabbits 1year ago. those are mini rexs. Now i want to raise Netherland Dwarfs. I know my Breeder(s) But i have a few questions;
1. How many should start of with?
2. How many does can HAPPLY live in a cage thats 30by36by16?
3.Is there certin colors i can breed together?
4. is $20 a good price for 4-h show bunnies? with papers i think.
The colors im going to get are:
Buck; solid Chocolate. Does; Chocolate Otter
buck; Solid Blue. Does; Blue Otters
Buck; Solid Black, Does; Black Otters
i think im going to get a trio of thoses colors. Can they breed to each other?
i do plan to line breed, so im going to keep the "good" buns.
What do ya'lls barns/lean-tos look like?
i need ideas. Thanks, and i have pics of what i was thinking about doing ill post them latter. :D :bunnyhop: :pancake: :all-ears: :thankyou:

We are only about six months in to our adventure of raising Netherland Dwarfs, but I can already see some things I wish we would have done differently. First, before you buy a rabbit, join the American Netherland Dwarf Rabbit Club. The membership fee is worth it to get the Guidebook they publish. Once you get this book, STUDY IT before purchasing any rabbits. It goes over things like, varieties and their breeding compatibility, standard of perfection, genetics of dwarf rabbits, etc.

After you feel like you have a good handle on how to evaluate a rabbit based on the current SoP, set a budget and buy the absolute best rabbits you can for that amount of money. If you have $300 to spend on rabbits, IMHO it is worth it to get a $150-200 buck and two $50-75 does over buying more rabbits of lesser quality. (I really, really wish I could go back and heed my own advice on this one!) I'm not saying you have to start by spending that much, just throwing some numbers out as an example. Also, just because a seller is asking may $100-200 does not mean the rabbit is worth that much; I would ask someone you trust that is experienced with ND to evaluate any purchases you are considering.

My kids would like to add chocolate/lilac to our current varieties, but a top breeder (is currently very high in the national points) advised me not to add any of the less popular colors until we had strong lines with good type. It is much harder to find rabbits in the rarer colors with good type, and if you do they will be much more expensive than a similar quality animal in a more common color. Also, it is my understanding that many breeders working in shaded varieties will not want to introduce an animal with chocolate genes behind it, so that may make your blacks and otters undesirable for certain people. Wait until you are bigger and work those lines separately was the advice we were given. Dilutes (blue) also have issues with DQ's because of nail color, so you may want to hold off on adding those as well. Black otter and black self are compatible breedings, and you could add chestnut to both of those as well. Chestnut is not my favorite variety, but they seem to be easier to find with better type.

Around here, pet quality NDs generally sell for $20-30, so I would be very wary of someone selling a $20 as show quality. Another peeve of mine has become the idea that it is acceptable to sell a lesser quality rabbit as a "4-H rabbit"; most of the youth here that have rabbits as 4-H projects (other than some that show only meat pens) also show in ARBA shows. Our last 4-H rabbit show was judged by an ARBA judge and if we want youth to be successful as exhibitors and breeders, we should encourage them to breed quality rabbits from the start. That being said, I have also found it somewhat difficult to find a breeder willing to part with true quality animals (now that I know what I am looking for); the one I have found, I met at a larger regional show. The quality of the rabbits at that show blew me away! I realized what we were up against and how far behind we were with the current herd we had. I so wish we had gone to a show like that first and met people who were not only raising ND, but had high quality animals that were winning on the show table. Even if they didn't sell me their best, their culls were still better than what was available to me from other sources.

We are in a position right now where we are preparing to cull hard on the litters we currently have and sell several of the adults we purchased just months ago, including a "grand champion" buck. Even though he had legs, he isn't the quality we want and he has a lot more faults that we realized when we bought him. I share our experience to hopefully help someone else avoid the missteps we took. With all that being said, we love our rabbits and are enjoying them so very much! We did get rabbits with good personalities and I would include that as a must when considering whether to purchase a rabbit. I have one doe that is not the best quality (great body, so/so head) but she will remain part of our program for a while because she is the sweetest bunny ever, and after that, she will remain in our family as a pet. Our new buck will hopefully balance her head and we can get some babies with her sweet personality and better type.

Hope that helps!!

Thanks guys. Yeah I know about stuck kits, peanuts, the toe nails. Can some one clear up what cull means, please thanks. :)
I'm going to 2different breeders to get my trio. One I'd in 4-h is going to hel me pic my trio, I think I'm going to get a 6monyh old buck and just weaned does. I'm planning on getting 3 24x24x16 cages, then when the does are 6months old getting 2 more of those cages, then selling the first litter, then keeping a good doe out of 1 litter. Then buy/build more cages. And so on. I don't want more than 9 ND's at a time because I'm also working on my Mini Rex herd. I'll keep u guys updated. :)

If you start with buns from different breeders, make sure you quarantine them all in separate cages for a month or so to make sure you don't have any health problems.

Good luck with the ND!

Mini Rex Breeder":hdrjrn1m said:
Can some one clear up what cull means, please thanks. :)
Cull means 2 things; either kill the rabbit, or pet out unworthy stock. I usually use the latter, although many users on RT go with the former.

Marinea":2mt6drjt said:
If you start with buns from different breeders, make sure you quarantine them all in separate cages for a month or so to make sure you don't have any health problems.

Good luck with the ND!
Ok. But could it be possible for me to put the 2does in a 30x36x16 cage until I put them in then 24x24x16. I'll have them tattooed so I could tell them apart. <br /><br /> __________ Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:26 pm __________ <br /><br /> My dad said that I need to keep the buildind at or under a 10x10, we don't have abernet to go bigger. So is this going to be gig enough for about 15rabbits? I'm doing stackable cages. Pet Lodge brand to be exact. :)

15 rabbits or 15 cages? You'll need grow out cages for the kits as 24x24 would be too small a for a doe and an 8 week old litter, unless your bloodline has small litters of 2 or 4, my ND usually had 4 to 7 and my biggest was 9 - all of them survived :)

An "alley" type setup will allow for better air flow in the summer so you have 2 walls you can use. A 10x10 wall can fit 5 cages that are 24x24 width wise but it will be tight, 4 will give a bit of wiggle room and some space to store feed, bedding, hay, grooming supplies, med kit, records book, etc....

Then if you go 2 high that's 8 cages on a wall so 16 cages in the building and if you go 3 high (6+ feet tall :) ) it's 12 per wall and 24 in the rabbitry.

Dood":3og64jgu said:
15 rabbits or 15 cages? You'll need grow out cages for the kits as 24x24 would be too small a for a doe and an 8 week old litter, unless your bloodline has small litters of 2 or 4, my ND usually had 4 to 7 and my biggest was 9 - all of them survived :)

An "alley" type setup will allow for better air flow in the summer so you have 2 walls you can use. A 10x10 wall can fit 5 cages that are 24x24 width wise but it will be tight, 4 will give a bit of wiggle room and some space to store feed, bedding, hay, grooming supplies, med kit, records book, etc....

Then if you go 2 high that's 8 cages on a wall so 16 cages in the building and if you go 3 high (6+ feet tall :) ) it's 12 per wall and 24 in the rabbitry.
15+Cages. I plan on having a play/exercise pen so they can get out and about, I plan on getting a few 30x30x16 cages for mommas and grow out pens. And 3 highis my plan. I know it will be tight. It will only be temp set up until I can get another building and or colany pens.

Back