heat light?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seagullplayer

Reaction score
My doe is due in two days, put the next box in Saturday and she has been working on a nest. Her cage is outside, blocked from the wind. Should I go ahead and place a heat lamp above the next box or not?

She is a first time mother for me, but not a first time mother, she did fine with her last litter, but that was fall not mid winter.

I'm southern Indiana, has been a mild winter, seven day forecast looks to be more of the same.

http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/L ... Y+USKY1096

Heck no. Unless she fails to pull any fur at all you'll cook the buggers. They can maintain over 100F when it's below 0F out if the nest is built well. Make sure the box has plenty of straw or hay with some shavings or pine pellets in the bottom for absorbency. Not too fine or dusty or you can get nestbox eye. Then leave her alone. So long as she pulls fur right away and doesn't kindle over night and wait till morning (had one doe do that but she's only done it once) they will be fine. If she does fail to pull fur well that's just kind of the risk you take when breeding and with first time does especially. A heat lamp is only going to make it more likely you'll harm a healthy litter and if not set up correctly these things burn down several buildings a year.

I agree with akane. The only time added heat is called for is when you only have a couple kits or the doe fails to make a good nest. I have a nestbox warming pad that goes under the nests, but if I didn't have that, I might go with a 40 watt bulb at most. I have only used the pad once, with a recent litter that was failing due to lack of milk on the doe's part I believe. I had 3 does kindle when it was in the 20s at night, and all the litters did great with no added heat. I was very surprised to feel the heat generated in the nests- they were toasty as can be!

Good luck with your litter!

Is the nest box open or closed style? I agree with no heat lamp, but if they are outside, I would want my rabbits kindling in a closed box rather than the open style that is commonly used in wire cages.

I mostly have the open-topped wire nests myself- in winter I line the bottom and sides with cardboard, but in the warm months I only put cardboard on the bottom. One doe kindled 3 in a covered metal box, and I never added heat to that- perhaps it helped to keep the heat in, with the half cover.

Here is a picture of the box I made. She had started a nest, pulled some fur. I gave her some more nesting material this morning.
Note, I only cut down one side because I knew how I was going to fit it into her cage. I think this will help keep kits from getting between the next box and the wire.

I would call this "closed type"?

nestbox.jpg

I would consider that the closed type. A lot of people prefer wood to metal in winter because they feel wood is warmer, so I think that will be fine.

It depends on how well the cages are protected from the wind and snow or rain. It is not the temperature that concerns me so much as how they are sheltered. I'd call that an open box. What I meant by a closed box would be a box with just a hole for the doe to enter or exit.

http://www.omzweb.it/pics/conigli_015.jpg

Those are neat- I've never seen that style before. Mounting them on the outside of the cage would be really convenient if they have a hinged top.

If the cages aren't protected from weather a heat lamp is going to be increasingly dangerous and should not be run without it's own protection from weather including wind blowing it down an moisture plus electricity = bad. Even snow is moisture because the light will melt it so that's not a solution if your cages are outside anyway.

Picture didn't come out great but I lined the box with cardboard and placed her start of a next back inside. She has pulled some fur. She is due tomorrow, suppose to be 60F! Great day for February!

nestbox2.jpg

Mother waiting out her time.

duedoe.jpg

I should have taken a picture of the hutch arrangement, but it sits beside the chicken house and is well protected from the weather, it is also metal on three sides.

I could easily mount a lamp hi and dry in the hutch, but I will take the advise and pass.
With the forecast we have this week, the kits won't see freezing temps for a few days.
It is up to her now...

It looks like she and her kits will be well protected from the elements. You shouldn't have any problems. Yay for the nice weather too!

She did it, had the litter yesterday while I was at work. I only felt around for dead ones, didn't find any. Everyone seemed alive warm and moving! Couldn't get a good count, but I think six or more! Her nest turned out very effective, if not neat:

fullnest.jpg

I checked again this morning at 4am when I left for work, and everything still looked good.
Hope to get a good count and maybe a picture this weekend.

Congratulations! Don't be shy about handling the little guys. Hoodat posted this article this morning: "Gentle handling promotes health - fascinating article"- take a look at it!

Back