Hay - Where to Buy It?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rabbits By DK

Raising rabbits for meat and pelts since Feb. '23
Reaction score
I'm trying to find a good affordable supplier of timothy hay seed and it all seems so expensive. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to buy some seed?

I'm starting small scale, so 5 lbs and under packages would be best.

Grass seed is expensive. If you're already feeding timothy hay you can take the manure and dropped hay from under the rabbits and grow it. Usually has seed in it by the time it's hayed.

Alot of places online will sell small amounts but it's all expensive. Your best option for a small amount would be if you found a local farm and could buy a bit if their big bag of seed when they are reseeding an area/field. But I understand not everyone knows a farmer or is in an area to be close to farms.

Grass seed is expensive. If you're already feeding timothy hay you can take the manure and dropped hay from under the rabbits and grow it. Usually has seed in it by the time it's hayed.

Alot of places online will sell small amounts but it's all expensive. Your best option for a small amount would be if you found a local farm and could buy a bit if their big bag of seed when they are reseeding an area/field. But I understand not everyone knows a farmer or is in an area to be close to farms.
Thanks for letting me know. There are quite a few farms in my area (technically we are a farm) and that shouldn't be a problem.

One can simply buy their hay from the farmer after it is cut in June/July. I would buy tons of hay right off the field because 1) it was cheaper 2) less likely to be rained on. 3) know my source. Since you have the space it might be good to buy a ton (Or ever how many bales) this year while your own hay is growing. I pay $5 a bale for Orchard off the field about 30 miles away. Then if I buy Timothy or Timothy/Alfalfa mix from the country feedstore I pay $13 a bale (or $8 ish on the field) . However, if you buy from a ? Murdoch's or Tractor Supply or North Forty , you are looking at $22+ for a chopped pressed bale.

Now the seed from North Forty (never been there, but a friend does.) Is right under $200 . I personally would try to buy alfalfa seed from 1)a farmer 2) a real feed store verses any of the above chains or 3) directly from a feed company. Your climate might be different from mine or Alaskan satin or TKT'S.... Also one can check out their local co-ops or field extension office for information that is local.

One can simply buy their hay from the farmer after it is cut in June/July. I would buy tons of hay right off the field because 1) it was cheaper 2) less likely to be rained on. 3) know my source. Since you have the space it might be good to buy a ton (Or ever how many bales) this year while your own hay is growing. I pay $5 a bale for Orchard off the field about 30 miles away. Then if I buy Timothy or Timothy/Alfalfa mix from the country feedstore I pay $13 a bale (or $8 ish on the field) . However, if you buy from a ? Murdoch's or Tractor Supply or North Forty , you are looking at $22+ for a chopped pressed bale.

Now the seed from North Forty (never been there, but a friend does.) Is right under $200 . I personally would try to buy alfalfa seed from 1)a farmer 2) a real feed store verses any of the above chains or 3) directly from a feed company. Your climate might be different from mine or Alaskan satin or TKT'S.... Also one can check out their local co-ops or field extension office for information that is local.
Ok! Thanks for letting me know.

I would go to a local farm/hardware store and have them order you timothy seed if it's not in stock and see if they can ship it to the store for you for free and pick it up there. My Rural King store does not stock timothy seed, but they have a lot of other hay seeds. It's never on the website though. You have to walk in and ask. They sell the hay, but it's too expensive for me. I purchase orchard grass and fescue hay either locally (craigslist, facebook marketplace) or from the farm store (horse quality). You can get a 50 lb hay bale $4-11 depending on your source. Around here people tend to plant fescue and red clover and alfalfa but we are a really different climate from you, south eastern USA. I don't think timothy thrives in our blistering summers. So your local store may have a better selection for timothy.

I would go to a local farm/hardware store and have them order you timothy seed if it's not in stock and see if they can ship it to the store for you for free and pick it up there. My Rural King store does not stock timothy seed, but they have a lot of other hay seeds. It's never on the website though. You have to walk in and ask. They sell the hay, but it's too expensive for me. I purchase orchard grass and fescue hay either locally (craigslist, facebook marketplace) or from the farm store (horse quality). You can get a 50 lb hay bale $4-11 depending on your source. Around here people tend to plant fescue and red clover and alfalfa but we are a really different climate from you, south eastern USA. I don't think timothy thrives in our blistering summers. So your local store may have a better selection for timothy.
Thank you for the info! I'll have to look into that. I also know a lot of local farmers, so I may try asking them.

Latest posts

Back