Hay storage

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cav.

Reaction score
I just bought 2 bails of hay and they were left on the driveway for me to pick up. It was like -1 outside so I assume there is going to be moisture on the hay when I bring it into the house. I've been running a dehumidifier, will that help get the moisture out of the hay? I actually have a silica pack in each bin just incase o_o

Im currenting using that giant rubbermaid bin next to the hay for storage, is that alright? Do I need to drill holes on the side? I don't plan on putting the lid on. Also, should I cut the bail apart, or just leave the string on?
5196588003_f60f03cb3d_b.jpg

That's the exact same bin I use for my hay. I "stand up" two bales in it (on the ends of the bales). I cut the wires, and use the two bales evenly. I don't have any holes in the bin--don't see the need for any.

PERFECT! that's just what you need Cav. make sure the hay is good and dry before you put it in.

Don't need to drill holes in the sides.
Leave the lid off
makes it easier to cut the strings off AFTER you put the bale into the container.

THAT"S exactly what I use for my hay. :) (when I"m using a bale). Keeps everything nice and tidy. :)

It will take Princess a solid year to get through that much Hay I should think. :) and yes, it will keep as long as it stays dry.

it fits one bale of hay perfectly if laying flat. Two is putting them on on their ends. I find it neater to use one at a time. :)

Be VERY careful of the tiniest particles of mold with whole bales of hay like that. It will kill a bunny faster than anything!

o_O I guess i should be checking her food every time I put it in her food basket.how does it actually look though? I searched it up on google, and didn't see much, just dark and wet looking?

How long should I be running the dehumidifier for? :X

That's the problem with moldy hay.... sometimes you CAN'T see it. Just the itty bittiest amounts can be fatal. I don't know how many holes you have or how much hay you feed your rabbits, but what works for me is the bagged hay. One big bag costs me around $6 and lasts me about 4 months, with 12 rabbits. Not the most economical, BUT, a sure fire way to protect your investment.

But typically, it can be green, white, or black. If it dries out, it can be dusty. If you paid big bucks for your rabbits, I wouldn't risk it.

;)

Oh dear...my rabbit seems pretty ok o_o Eating and pooping a lot. Althugh the old hay when before I got wasnt as green, sometimes I would spot some black freckles on some of the thicker hay, I'd throw that away... Now I am scared o_O

I do realize that when I handled the older batch of hay, I would often get a runny nose/sneeze and seemed to be quite dusty. Hopefully it is hay fever and a flu/cold and not Stachybotrys chartarum or mycotoxin poisoning O_O (Im a very paranoid person *chuckes*)

I store my hay on top of a double skid
covered with an old plastic table cloth
to keep any rain from dripping on it.
I purchase two bails at a time
so it is not hanging around too long.
I use the hay as: Nesting material,
and i fill the hay-feeders at least three times per week.
I have not had a problem while using this system.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

TONS of breeders buy and use bulk hay successfully. I just happen to know a breeder that lost half of her herd because of this. She says hindsight is 20 /20. Had she known that by spending the little bit of extra money would have protected almost $3,000 worth of show rabbits, she would have done it in a heart beat. But, that's a part of breeding. Once you do something and it doesn't work for you, you learn not to do it again. :) I just wanted to put it out there for you, that's all. :)

truebroodgenetics":1c36x06k said:
TONS of breeders buy and use bulk hay successfully. I just happen to know a breeder that lost half of her herd because of this. She says hindsight is 20 /20. Had she known that by spending the little bit of extra money would have protected almost $3,000 worth of show rabbits, she would have done it in a heart beat. But, that's a part of breeding. Once you do something and it doesn't work for you, you learn not to do it again. :) I just wanted to put it out there for you, that's all. :)

Yeah I hear you! I'll just keep the dehumidifier running during the morning and slap in silica packs in the box to be safe :)

Why would there be no mold in bagged hay? Seems to me they are produced exactly the same but one is put in a plastic bag. I would think plastic wrap would make more mold grow? Unless of course bagged hay is treated hay??

This brings up the issue of treated hay... anyone know anything about it? I think the hay is sprayed with something in the field then baled?

I am a little loathe to get in to this conversation because I suspect it could turn nasty.

I have been very careful about mold because of have heard horror stories. Having said that, I have also "heard" that the only poisonous mold is white, yellow, or beige, and the common bluish-green Penicillium sp. mold is not poisonous, simply bad tasting. I know that I have eaten some of this kind of mold on bread and cheese and it has never hurt me. By accident, When I bought my last load of hay, I got a couple of bales that had apparently been rained on a bit, I could see the blueish green dust on the edges of the flakes. Since I had a couple of pens with grow out bunnies in them, I decided that I would take a chance with one pen. I knocked the hay against my knee a couple of times, to shake out the extra dust, and feed it to the meat pen rabbits for a couple of weeks before they were processed. There were no bad results. A couple of bales lasts me over a moth, so I fed the rest of the hay to all of my rabbits; does, bucks, and kits, having no problem whatsoever.

I have purposefully (and scientifically) crossed meat rabbits which I believe are much hardier than many straight-breed rabbits. I doubt that I would have fed any of the hay to "show" rabbits. I want to make it clear that I am not suggesting that anyone else do this, but it is my belief that many of the health problems with rabbits (as with horses) is due to inbreeding. Run of the mill farm horses have no problems with moldy hay, but
most people wouldn't dare give it to a a pure-bred horse.

I heard plastic in general isnt good as it collects moisture. I guess if you keep it in plastic slap in some packets of silica to be safe?

Goodness! Why on earth would this get nasty? Everyone has different opinions on a lot of areas of breeding, raising, and showing rabbits. If everyone did the same thing, it would be boring, and there wouldn't be much competition. As far as the mold in the hay, my vet also recommended that I don't use baled hay. That doesn't mean you shouldn't, or anyone else shouldn't for that matter. It's very much like medication we take today.....there are a million side effects that you MIGHT experience, but the chances might not be very high. i feel it is the same with things like mold in the hay. It's a matter of opinion, supported by factual information, and personal experience. You're told not to smoke because it will kill you. The decision is yours. Some people die from it, and some people smoke their whole lives and live to be 100. Ultimately the results aren't up to us.....

So, I appreciate your input and your opinion! But for Heaven's sake, don't feel shy on giving your input because you feel it might get "nasty". This forum is designed to HELP people, and if you have a different take on a topic, get it out there!

HAPPY BREEDING!!!!1<br /><br />__________ Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:08 pm __________<br /><br />One more thing.....the bags that the hay comes in has tiny holes in it to allow it to stay aired out.

Haha dont worry :) We all appreciate the input :)

Sadly, I just realized the hay I bought is a mix of timothy alfalfa O_O unless one bail is timothy and the other is alfalfa...

avdpas77":1gfc28rk said:
Run of the mill farm horses have no problems with moldy hay, but
most people wouldn't dare give it to a a pure-bred horse.

Honestly, this might have more to do with the gamble than the show horses' hardiness--a "run of the mill farm horse" has a value of $500-800, and you may see them as relplaceable, while a "show horse" can be worth tens of thousands of dollars...not worth the risk to some. Much like the gamble you made with your meat pen--very sensible too I might add!--rather than your breeding stock.

As someone who used to bale their own hay, mold is caused by the combination of dampness and lack of air circulation. If you have one but not the other you are usually safe. It is both together that are the problem. And most moldy hay smells "off", musty, like grandma's attic, or basement, or something, not fresh and sweet. My nose usually told me before my eyes that the hay was no good, but you have to pay attention, not just chuck it in with out noticing.

If we were concerned that the new hay might be damp, we salted the bales as they were stacked. A quarter cup or so of rock salt sprinkled on each bale before stacking the next one, "like feeding chickens" my old farmer friend used to say. This helped to prevent mold growth. I thought that if you wanted a little insurance you could put some in the bottom of your container, rather than silica packets. It mostly shakes back out of the hay as you feed it and doesn't affect palatablity as far as I have noticed.

If it was totally dry, crispy dry, there is no reason you couldn't bag it and have it keep nicely, and the plastic tub should work great too, as long as you don't get it wet in there--like my kids will go open the grain barrels when it is raining and leave the lid off "just for a minute". Not good.

I use old feed sacks, stuff a few flakes in each sack to keep it contained, and store it in an unheated shed in my very damp climate. But it takes too much space--I will be looking for one of those lovely tubs in the future.

---
I should also say the salt was really intended to prevent the enormous stack of bales from heating up like a giant compost heap and spontaneously combusting--we weren't actually that worried about a few moldy bales so much as loosing the whole barn in a fire--which is NOT going to happen if you are storing less than a ton!

Ooo I will try the salt thing, but first I need to sell off my current hay :( it's a mix of timothy and alfalfa. Although the greener bail seems like its alfalfa and the lighter seems like its mostly timothy. Or I could be wrong :( guess I will have to get it at petsmart afterall *sadface*

couldn't you use the timothy for bedding or filler? just something to nibble on? I don't think it will hurt them, I feed plain hay, not alfalfa. But maybe you have some goal in weight gain/condition to meet. Mine are just nice food bunnies. As long as they are a healthy weight, I am satisfied.

Latest posts

Back