Have babies now what

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3girls&1man

Reaction score
Not sure if this is the proper place to post this. So if not sorry.

I have decided that I was going to breed Holland lops. After tons of research and picking of peoples brains. I finally got it. So after doing Holland lops for a while I decided I wanted to breed New Zealand's for meat.

Now I have 6 NZ babies ready to go and 9 in the nest. How do I market them. My Holland lops I just posted an ad and they flew out of the nest between pets and 4-H. But no hits on the NZ. I'm not asking much for them. I live in Jacksonville, Fl. I am asking $10.00 no pedigree obviously because they are for meat.

Any suggestions? I even tried the flea market and no luck!!!

Oh yeah I forgot to mention I am selling them alive!!! My ad states big bunnies for sale great as pets, make good lawn mowers, and could be dinner.

You might try posting the ads in more rural areas or those with a higher immigrant community. Here in my area of California the Hispanic community will buy and butcher animals themselves, but you wont find that as the case with most born and bred Americans unless they grew up in a rural area and have raised their own livestock.

Of course, your other option is to process and eat them yourself. ;)

Not many people want to butcher their own meat or want 10 pound rabbits for pets. You might try marketing them as snake food - around here 5 pound rabbits sold for reptiles are $15 each.

I sell my meat rabbits as raw dog food but I do the butchering and grinding and only have a few buyers of "prey model" since big snakes eat less than once a month :)

That's true not many people know meat outside of the grocery store. In my opinion they have no idea what they are missing.

Im not sure I could knowingly sell them for snake food. Im SO TERRIFIED of snakes I cant even watch them on tv. I could never conquer the fear. And I even worked at a zoo.

You could do other things like list your rabbitry on rabbitbreeders.us, make a website, make a facebook page, farmer's market, ect. You could market to meat breeders as well as those who are willing to butcher their own meat. Or pet owners, raw feeders, ect. like others have mentioned.

You have to figure out what your buyers are looking for.

Don't call them meat rabbits...call them breeding stock and
double your price. You're too low at $ 10 each. Put a value
to your product. If too low, people wonder what's wrong with it.

Few people will buy them live to process themselves, even as pet food.
Some snake owners are willing to do the job.
If they are purebred NZ, I'd look through the lot and cull everything but the very best.
Eat them yourself, feed them to your pets, or sell as processed frozen for pet food, or whole frozen to snake owners and prey model feeders.

Offer up the very best as brood stock at higher prices.

In PA it's a common practice to sell them at live weight and butcher as a free service.

Thank all of yall for your input. I have changed my ad all around. I have them listed as wonderful lawnmowers and great breeding stock so we will see

Latest posts

Back