Have any xp with dog bowls?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 3861

Reaction score
HI, I am wondering if anyone has used those metal, outword slanting side, dog bowls for their rabbits?

currently I am using basic water bottles with the metal spouts. problem is, past few nights it has been below freezing out in the shed and the metal spouts have been freezing solid. I was going to buy some crocks but no one here has any in stock at the moment. Instead, I bought some of the dog bowls as an alternative. The only worry I have is that the rabbit might get the stupid idea of taking a bath and end up freezing to death. the bowls are large enough to hold 3 cups of water. Just enough, I hope, to keep them hydrated during the night.

http://www.amazon.com/Ethical-24-Ounce- ... 4+dog+dish

When I got my water dishes, I bought them used.
They basically look like this one.
http://cutlersupply.com/zen_new51/index ... cts_id=722

Locally in the stores, these dishes are around $ 7 each, plus tax.
I need to buy some more but my best deal is going to be online.
I prefer the metal ones, not plastic.
In the winter, I like extra dishes, so I can swap them out.
Put the frozen ones in a bucket and bring in the house to thaw
instead of forcing them.

TwoAcreDream":382s50bn said:
When I got my water dishes, I bought them used.
They basically look like this one.
http://cutlersupply.com/zen_new51/index ... cts_id=722

Locally in the stores, these dishes are around $ 7 each, plus tax.
I need to buy some more but my best deal is going to be online.
I prefer the metal ones, not plastic.
In the winter, I like extra dishes, so I can swap them out.
Put the frozen ones in a bucket and bring in the house to thaw
instead of forcing them.

That's what I planned on buying but everyone was out of them. :(

I use tin cups, small metal pots and small metal dog bowls that can tip :) but I drill or hammer a small hole in the side and attach them to the cage so they cannot be tipped ... easily - I have one doe who manages but she generally just tosses her tuna can toy instead :D

I then use hot water to melt any ice crust and so the bunnies have warm water to drink twice a day (or tepid :mrgreen: depending on how much ice)

I try to keep my rabbit barn just above freezing but on -30 nights the heater cannot keep up and the water freezes .... last year there was a lot of ice :( If it is a solid block I use just enough hot water to loosen up the block and pull it out.

I use crocks and water bottles for my house bunnies but ceramics and some hard plastics can crack from expanding ice, hence I use metal for the outdoor rabbits

Where I am at it rarely gets below 48*F during the winter and averages about 80*F during the summer. When I was in Nevada I used the metal dog bowls and just traded them through out the day and left a heat light on during the night, red so that the buns could sleep. <br /><br /> -- Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:08 pm -- <br /><br /> Where I am at it rarely gets below 48*F during the winter and averages about 80*F during the summer. When I was in Nevada I used the metal dog bowls and just traded them through out the day and left a heat light on during the night, red so that the buns could sleep.

2, $.75 tiles from home depot per rabbit, packs of 5 plastic storage dishes from dollar tree, 1 bottle of elmer's glue

We are ready for winter at the last second after I spent months debating what I could afford and fit in the smaller cages for water. I did grab some smaller round ones I was going to give the Netherlands still growing out in group cages so they wouldn't get in the water but it proved unnecessary and they drink the round ones too fast. I had to fill those 3 times a day and they were empty with no ice every time.

If you have a thrift store near by you can get regular ceramic bowls for cheap. One store I go to sells them for $.50 each. You may even be able to find some pet crocks there as well.

I got the ceramic ramekins from walmart, a few ez crocks, the black plastic cups and some metal dishes that hook on the back. I fill up halfway in the am, again in the pm. the next day I crack the ice by dropping the pan on the floor and start again. Except one time, I dropped a ramekin. The black plastic ones survive the best. Besides my oopsie, I haven't had a crock crack yet, I think the ramekins are good for freezer and oven.

mcv1986":1ps2egle said:
HI, I am wondering if anyone has used those metal, outword slanting side, dog bowls for their rabbits?

currently I am using basic water bottles with the metal spouts. problem is, past few nights it has been below freezing out in the shed and the metal spouts have been freezing solid. I was going to buy some crocks but no one here has any in stock at the moment. Instead, I bought some of the dog bowls as an alternative. The only worry I have is that the rabbit might get the stupid idea of taking a bath and end up freezing to death. the bowls are large enough to hold 3 cups of water. Just enough, I hope, to keep them hydrated during the night.

http://www.amazon.com/Ethical-24-Ounce- ... 4+dog+dish

Interesting. Do you have electricity out there? If so, it would take little
to nothing to set up a heated, auto-watering, circulation system for your
rabbits. The valve nipple and PVC saddle costs less than a good crock.
Add a 5-gallon bucket, submersible pump, and a heat source and you're in
business.

Just an idea.

Grumpy.

Latest posts

Back