havahart cage

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sjlattimore88

Reaction score
so i seen these havahart cages for sale about 30 bucks the dimensions are 24 x 24 x 16 and i have new zealand and californians would the cages with those dimensions be good enough for them

It would be ok for about...oh...five minutes. LOL Those cages really are not good quality and won't last you very long at all. You will be replacing them in a year or less. Spend a few more $$ now for better quality and keep your cages for 10-15 years. I would also go slightly larger for your rabbits, at least 24 x 30 x 18 for bucks and open does and 30 x 30 x 18 for pregnant/nursing does. (30 x 36 x 18 is better for does with litters)

I have one of those Havahart cages. I have a minilop in it, and he has a wooden house and a floor mat, so his feet are doing okay. The door, however, is not difficult for a rabbit to open. He did escape once, and I've had a dog leash clip on it ever since. If I had kits in that cage, they'd be getting out anyway at the corners. I'd need at least three clips on that door to keep them in.

Wish I could have him in a bigger cage, but I unexpectedly had to retire him and keep a second buck. The working buck gets the penthouse.

Here's another place with what looks like good cages with good floor wire (14 gauge): http://www.woodyswabbits.com/

I got cages from Bass Equipment, before I found Woody's. Their floor wire is 16 gauge, which is not as heavy as 14 gauge.

I have one of those havahart cages. I bought it used. Big mistake. They chew the wood, it is harder to clean, it's cheaply built, the tray under it is very cheap and broke quickly and is impossible to slide out if it has some hay on it... It fell apart. But my MR doe is only happy in that cage, so I put it back together, reinforced the walls with wood braces on the outside, replaced the wire. I like it better now, but I would not buy one new.

Exact same thing I said before. Pet and feed store cages tend to cause foot problems and do not last long. I have that cage and it caused sores on the hocks of my mini rex and younger champagnes despite resting boards and it's a huge pain having an inward opening door. I hate it so much and it was so overpriced. I needed a cage right then though so I could pick up 2 champagne does since I had no carrier and they don't sell wire rabbit carriers anywhere except the vendors online and at shows. It's mostly been set aside to use short term for quarantine or to sort rabbits when deciding who to butcher and who to keep.

If you go to shows try looking up local vendors and getting cages from them. You can order a cage and then pick it up at the show instead of having it delivered. That's how we got a lot of our rabbit supplies that aren't available in your standard stores.

i checked out that website and the cages look good i actually called and the guy said i should have no problem with 12 to 15 pound rabbits and the litters because of the gauge of the floors

I looked at the cage in this link http://www.tractorsupply.com/pet-care/s ... n--2179407 and I wouldn't buy it for these reasons:

1. It is too small. They don't give the width, but even if it is 24"x24" that is way too small for a NZ doe and her litter.

2. The wire grid in the walls and top, although strong 14 gauge, is too large. You can lose kits through 1"x2" wire and predators such as weasels, mink and RATS can get in far too easily.

3. The floor is only 16 gauge wire. Not strong enough for the larger breeds.

4. It does not say if it is galvanized before or after weld.

5. The door is too small and awkwardly placed.

ok after getting prices quotes + shipping i have decided to go with klubertanz 3 24x36x18 14 gauge cages with 1x1/2 inch mesh floors galvanized after welds comes to 130 bucks all i need to know is if the dimensions are big enough for a full grown new zealand doe and litter until they are weaned and even if i have to get slightly larger cages the price isnt that much more is 14 gauge the gauge i need

Yes, 14 gauge is good and strong. :)

Lots of people use 24"x36" cages for their does and litters. Personally I prefer something a bit larger, but it certainly is a big improvement over 24"x24". Klubertanz has a good reputation.

MaggieJ":1fy04ccp said:
Yes, 14 gauge is good and strong. :)

Lots of people use 24"x36" cages for their does and litters. Personally I prefer something a bit larger, but it certainly is a big improvement over 24"x24". Klubertanz has a good reputation.

well they do have a 30x36x18 available its only 4 bucks more and i think the shipping is about the same so i may just get those @maggie what sizes are your cages

30x36 is a good size for a doe and litter. I built mine and since I bought local wire I could only get 24" not 30" so I built in 2x4 blocks with removable dividers. I can give a group of rabbits 2x4' or one mini rex 2x2'. I do find them slightly narrow for my larger champagnes. I have one cage block with a solid floor that is 36" wide but like most people find out 36" is a bit far to reach so I took it apart last week and I'm trying to find the time to cut it down to 30".

akane":1xoj3erx said:
30x36 is a good size for a doe and litter. I built mine and since I bought local wire I could only get 24" not 30" so I built in 2x4 blocks with removable dividers. I can give a group of rabbits 2x4' or one mini rex 2x2'. I do find them slightly narrow for my larger champagnes. I have one cage block with a solid floor that is 36" wide but like most people find out 36" is a bit far to reach so I took it apart last week and I'm trying to find the time to cut it down to 30".

36 is a long reach i guess im lucky i have long arms im 6feet2inches tall so naturally my arms are long

Give some thought to modular cages. Cut a door in one side of your cages in addition to the one in front. Now you can butt up two 2X4 cages (or any other size) and have, in effect, a 2X8 cage. You can slide a piece of hardboard between the openings on the cages cages if you want to have two 2X4 cages again. There is much to be said for versatility.

My cages are 30" x 36" and it is a long reach. I manage though, even though I am only 5'5' and short in the arms. My cages are homemade and the whole front opens down, which makes it easier. I only use the cages for overflow or for bucks when giving the does a rest. Most of my rabbits are now in a colony.

Yea the entire front of my cages opens so I can put my whole body in to catch a rabbit if I need to. That also makes a 2x8' cage a bit too hard to control. Every now and then I have a rabbit pop out the other end of a 2x4' cage while I have the front open and reaching in one side. Most rabbits don't want to jump off surfaces but occasionally you get some that don't care. Usually it's one of my mini rex bucks. If I had individual doors instead of the entire front they would probably just hop from end to end and require 2 people so one could reach through each door in order to catch them.

Back