Has anyone experienced this fodder problem?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

esaudio

Reaction score
Hi,
I have been growing barley fodder for the last month and it's been awesome. However, now that the temperatures here are reaching the 90s, barley seems to be growing very slowly and half of the seeds are not even sprouting.

Is there any seed that I could use instead of barley that could be suited for high temperatures?
Thanks,
Julio

I do a mix of wheat and barley, but I started off with all wheat. I have found that the wheat has a better germination rate, but it is also more expensive. I mix the two to save a small amount of money, but also so the rabbits are used to both in case I can only get one or the other for some reason. I also sprout clover seeds, though I have to do them seperately as they just get washed down the holes of my homemade wheat/barley trays. I don't give very much of the clover- the sprouts from one tablespoon of seeds is split between all the buns, which number from 10-30 depending on how many grow outs I have. They also get a small amount of pellets, and of course hay. I live in the middle of no where, so I want them to be used to a variety of feeds so I (and they) don't stress is something is temporarily out of stock.

I started out with bleach water when I soaked the seeds, but noticed a decline in germination when I used bleach with the barley ( the wheat was fine with bleach). I cut out the bleach, but use a short garden hose with a sprayer over the laundry sink to rinse the trays twice a day. The increase in water pressure over gravity watering seems to help prevent mold, and I don't recycle the water. It takes a little more time, but for me, it has been worth it.

Thanks for the information. Do you have high temperatures over there? Because my seeds are not growing now that we are everyday in the 90s and I want to find some sort of replacement. Thanks!

I have my setup in the basement and its about 60F down there. Even in the middle of the summer, its rare for the basement to get over 70, but then again, we only get a couple of days all year that hit 90. I use warm water to rinse my fodder since the air temp is so cool. I haven't experienced it being too warm to germinate. Do you have a basement, or somewhere inside that is air conditioned, where you could grow your fodder?

I am growing it outside. I should try inside as you say. My house is really small, but I will try to find a spot to do it there. Thanks for your help! :)

Latest posts

Back