Harrisburg, PA Convention, Please tell me about it?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Secuono

Reaction score
Well, looks like I'll be heading up there to get a replacement. Can someone tell me what conventions are like, are there any fees to get in, how do you buy rabbits? I've never been to any kind of large convention, I can hardly stand amusement parks because of the clutter and mass of people. I don't like being able to get in and out to where I need to be quickly and easily. :/

Anyway, any insight, experience, tips and info in general as to where, when, ect will be appreciated!<br /><br />__________ Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:04 pm __________<br /><br />...eh? where's my avatar....?

Convention is Huge ! There should be upwards of 20,000 rabbits there... of every breed and variety of the breeds and color within the varieties. Some of the very Best of the Best will be there. There will be a lot of 'also rans' entered as well.

There will be All the Big rabbit vendors there... Bass, Klubertanz , Martins... and a Lot more. Most of them, if You pre-order, will bring to Convention and save You the shipping costs. There will also be other, smaller vendors...and quite a few Crafty type ones.

Almost every Breed Specialty club will have a booth there show casing That breed... Most if not All Breed clubs will have raffles ...everything from Local items to Breed specific things.

Buying ( and selling)... at Convention is a bit tricky. If the Rabbit is entered..it cannot leave the grounds until Wednesday morning when all rabbits are released and there is a Mad Dash of exhibitors trying to leave at the Same time. If You purchase AT Convention... You will need a Sale slip from the Breed Superintendent Stating the Seller And the Purchaser. That must be shown to security before the animal will be permitted to leave.

Some people do a LOT of dealing before the actual commencement of the show on Saturday. You need to make arrangements with the breeder(s) to meet outside the building to get the rabbits. Once the rabbit goes Into the building...it will be there for the duration. Best bet is to make Specific arrangements And then follow the 'plan'.

Keep in mind that it is a Huge show. Some animals will be stressed to their breaking point...between traveling , the show, then going to a completely Different environment.

Last i knew there was no Visitor charge to get in. Not certain about the Parking fee for the grounds there. It will not be necessarily Easy in, Easy out. Lots of people ! And if breed judging is going on... there will be people zipping back and forth in a Rush !! ( judges do not like waiting ) Exhibitors will be stressing about how their critters are doing and discussing the finer points of their breed. Usually most of the breeds are judges on Sunday...continuing on Monday. Tuesday is when most of the breed clubs and the main ARBA meeting takes place.iirc.

My suggestion is to get the plans set with what ever breeder You are talking to... ahead of time. Then give both of You enough time to complete that plan. Then take some time to walk around and enjoy the Show of Shows !

Then...I guess I need to find out who is going...lol.
I don't know anyone who is going besides the one breeder...I'd be interested in NZR, Rex, LH and other fast and large meat breeds.
:/

I'm going but not bringing anything, just going to watch and buy from some breeders.

I couldn't leave my buns overnight somewhere. I don't have enough that if they got a disease or something happened that it wouldn't be devastating so I have decided not to show, just watch and buy stuff. :)

It sounds like a lot of fun. We'll have to find each other and say hello.

This may not work since I am sure that the Show Secretary (ies?) is overwhelmed as it is, but maybe, just maybe they will forward your contact information to some breeders?

I'll try that Mammasheepdog!

I'm not sure what day I'll be there yet, LauraNJ. I also don't show, don't have the interest for it, but also not willing to risk my buns.<br /><br />__________ Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:58 pm __________<br /><br />Is this it?

http://www.marcsconvention.com/

LauraNJ":fyfsoip2 said:
I'm going but not bringing anything, just going to watch and buy from some breeders.

I couldn't leave my buns overnight somewhere. I don't have enough that if they got a disease or something happened that it wouldn't be devastating so I have decided not to show, just watch and buy stuff. :)

It sounds like a lot of fun. We'll have to find each other and say hello.

We will be the older couple, hanging around the Palomino section. Most often found with coffee cups clutched in our hands... :)

Ohh, Palomino are really pretty, too....This isn't good for my small stack of cash....

Just save up your money and expect to spend a little more than you are ready for.Prices are a little inflated at Convention, so be prepared. You might want to settle one one breed or two breeds. I would love to pick up on a second breed, but to get serious, you need to make investments in one breed at a time.

If you are on facebook, there is a Convention sales group that you can find rabbits for pre-sale already. Usually pre-sales happen around the beginning of August as people are trying to make room in their rabbitry for new purchases.

Peach":3qjz12ln said:
Just save up your money and expect to spend a little more than you are ready for.Prices are a little inflated at Convention, so be prepared. You might want to settle one one breed or two breeds. I would love to pick up on a second breed, but to get serious, you need to make investments in one breed at a time.

If you are on facebook, there is a Convention sales group that you can find rabbits for pre-sale already. Usually pre-sales happen around the beginning of August as people are trying to make room in their rabbitry for new purchases.

Do you know the group name on FB?

Random Rabbit":j6ghve4w said:
We will be the older couple, hanging around the Palomino section. Most often found with coffee cups clutched in our hands... :)

I'll find you. My dh always has coffee. I will be hanging out with some of the mini rex breeders but probably spend most of my time with the Beveren group.

Funny story, we had a family canoeing "incident" a few years ago and capsized (both boats in a swollen river- 6 people), I was holding dh's coffee, somehow I managed to keep it above water and hold on to it while being 7 mo pregnant with twins. Didn't hold on to anything else but the coffee was safe!

He says he wont know who is coming until late September and to search the various FB groups...

I don't know if I can go-- BUT, if SkysTheLimit can, "We" probably will have a Rex entry- And I have arranged to buy a pair of AmChins which can be delivered/picked up there... ooh, yeah, I sure hope two of the kits are up to weight by then.....

Frosted Rabbits":2mvsdgfi said:
I don't know if I can go-- BUT, if SkysTheLimit can, "We" probably will have a Rex entry- And I have arranged to buy a pair of AmChins which can be delivered/picked up there... ooh, yeah, I sure hope two of the kits are up to weight by then.....

Since my massive kit die off, I no longer have any Rex, or any other kits to show. And considering I've decided to quit my job at the end of this month, it doesn't look like I'll make it there even just as a spectator. (no comments on my comment I don't want to be accused of derailing another thread).

I can tell you what Rex breeders will be there, and who has buns that would be considered "large meat buns" and not slow growing show table fluff.

Latest posts

Back