Harlequin angora color question

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
how would you know it's a Himalayan and not just some cross bred mutt? Cause honestly to me.... looks like a crossbred. It's not all long and lean like himalayan's are.
I think the original question was--how does harlequin e(j) affect the Himalayan c(h) gene? There was a photo of a pink eyed magpie harlequin, which we found fascinating since Himalayan genetics have a pure albino white coat. So we weren't talking about the Himalayan breed, per se, but the genetics that makes that pattern of an albino rabbit with colored points.

how would you know it's a Himalayan and not just some cross bred mutt? Cause honestly to me.... looks like a crossbred. It's not all long and lean like himalayan's are.
I didn't mean it was a Himalayan, the breed, rather I was referring to its himalayan coat pattern. That's why I capitalize breed names but not variety names (like Harlequin versus harlequin), trying to reduce this kind of confusion. Doesn't always work. :)

I was just tickled to see rabbit with both c(h) and e(j), having never come across it before, and always wondering a little what it would look like, given e(j)'s tendency to interact with other genes somewhat surprisingly (to me, anyway).

Yes, it's definitely a crossbreed. The owner said the two rabbits are siblings. I would not even hazard a guess as to what breeds are in their background, given that up here people randomly cross everything with everything else.

Last edited:
wouldn't a broken blue harlequin be a tricolour??? Or are you meaning a broken blue magpie? I'm very confused.
Sorry for the confusion. I should have specified tricolor, the OP was specifically asking for harlequin, and I know not everyone is aware the a tricolor is a broken harlequin, so I was just wanting to avoid any misunderstanding. I did post a pic of her in this thread, so it's obvious sh is definitely not magpie.
I'll try to be clearer with future comments.

@Alaska Satin any change could you try to make the owner get a nice side image on a neutral background?
I used to explain the color series using tan rabbits (and i still miss a black at ch one).
Now i have the idea to use black harlequin for this :)

I didn't mean it was a Himalayan, the breed, rather I was referring to its himalayan coat pattern. That's why I capitalize breed names but not variety names (like Harlequin versus harlequin), trying to reduce this kind of confusion. Doesn't always work. :)

I was just tickled to see rabbit with both c(h) and e(j), having never come across it before, and always wondering a little what it would look like, given e(j)'s tendency to interact with other genes somewhat surprisingly (to me, anyway).

Yes, it's definitely a crossbreed. The owner said the two rabbits are siblings. I would not even hazard a guess as to what breeds are in their background, given that up here people randomly cross everything with everything else.
having gotten pointed kits and harlequin/tricolour kits out of the same litter of holland lops....

What comes into play is the sable/tort genes and the EJ gene. I've gotten pointed magpies in the past as well. (they are rather odd looking). And 95% of them had sable point in their background.

having gotten pointed kits and harlequin/tricolour kits out of the same litter of holland lops....
Exciting! Okay, so here's the question--did you see any harlequinization of the pointed white coat? Any mottling of color on the ears or points, or any other evidence of harlequin manifesting on the Himalayan/Californian/pointed white genetics?

usually the ears are lighter and occasionally appear "off" but I've never looked at them too closely as either they sell as pets or they turn into cat/raptor food. Either way I never fret on them too much, I just go oh, perhaps not repeat that breeding since someone is hiding something I don't want in my herd.

I lost a lot of my easy to access photos.... so I might take me time to find the weird magpie/pointed that i've had in the past....

Latest posts

Back