half-sibling breeding question

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zinnia

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
I didn't want to hijack the line breeding thread.

I'm tired and brain is working slow, :? But my gut tells me that kits from half siblings (only one shared parent) are actually no more related than father/daughter or mother/son pairings? Am I thinking correctly? Does anyone have a visual chart or some algebra equation for me to put my gut to the test here? :explanation:

If I'm not mistaken, a father/daughter mating is 25% co-efficiency. But my brain won't do the half-sibling percentage... :wall: Wouldn't it be half of that because only half of the sibling is the shared sire?? Maybe 12.5% Maybe...?

Most linebreeding charts are for a single pair and repeated offspring back to parent breeding. With 2 does and 1 buck each offspring would be half genetics from the buck and, unless the does are related, a different 2nd half from each other. If you cross them you would be providing buck genetics from both and each doe genetics from each one so your 2nd generation results should be 50% buck genetics, 25% doe1, and 25% doe2. Linebreeding back to parents would look like this http://www.nockrabbits.com/LineBreedingChart.html 75% of one and 25% of the other on generation 2. so the result of half sibling crosses would share less genetics than breeding back to parents, if the rabbits are not related at all, but sometimes that is not what you want. Sometimes you want to double the chances of passing on something from a parent before moving on to the next generation.

Thanks Akane. I'm thinking of doing a few half-sibling pairings. I want to accentuate the buck, but w/o his crooked tail... So saved some offspring that were as like him as possible with straight tails.

I see quite a bit of in-breeding on a couple of my pedigrees, but you know, it must have worked out well, because they are some of my best purchases.

Enjoy a horrible paint picture! I believe its right :lol: No numbers, but helps to visualize.

Half Siblings
kwii3md.png

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bred back to sire or dam

siyr9FY.png

Edit, started making this when it had no replies, other covered it already :D

Back