Had some babies

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

digitaloutlaw

Reaction score
well i was getting worried as this was this does first litter and she didnt pull fur until about 1 min before she had 11 babies one was still born but the other 10 look healthy

Attachments

• 338.jpg
    338.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 593
Sheesh- if she'd started pulling any earlier, she'd be bald! :x

Congrats- what a nice litter, and a beautiful nest!

Thanks all so far the 10 are doing great. I got one that keeps getting out the nest box and it is the fatest one I think he keeps hanging on the nipple.

greeleyfarm":s8uslp56 said:
I've got a feeling my most recently kindled doe pulled from behind her front legs and not from her muff...

I think that the thing about rabbits pulling the fur from their "dewlap" may be mostly an urban legend. None of my rabbits do, they pull it from their underbelly, chest or the backs of their front legs. I have always heard that rabbit pull it from their "dewlap" and I am relatively sure I have read it in books, but since I started paying attention, I have never seen that.

I have never seen them pull from their dewlap either. Sides and belly here.

So... what is the function of the dewlap? Fat storage? A way to keep their breath warm to keep frost buildup from their nostrils?

Maybe they use it as a reserve to produce milk if they don't have access to enough feed... otherwise you would think bucks would have them too.

A freind of mone noticed a long time ago- the bigger the dewlap-- the more hormonal the does were--and dewlaps use energy---a large dewlap on a doe- lower milk production-- but- that was her experience--

Oh no! I am so sorry to hear it! :(

Was it one of the biggest? We have been discussing that it is often the big greedy ones that stay latched on and get pulled out of the nest.

Some people put a lip on the nestbox so the kits get scraped off when the doe jumps out. That might be something you want to do to prevent this happening again.

my does pull from their groin and belly area (at least thats where I see the thin patches after they kindle). I've never really seen missing fur from the dewlap.

Latest posts

Back