Had a scare this morning

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CedarRidge

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
I post this just because we learn from each others experiences, and in this case, the lesson learned here is there is always hope. This morning I had a 4 week old kit jump out of the cage onto a concrete floor. As I was trying to catch it, it ended up landing on its back, then immediately started squealing with its back legs were layed straight out. As I picked it up, all of its legs started spasming and the poor bunny just squealed and squealed. It could not bring its legs under itself and it had all the indications of a broken back. We got it on a table and it just layer there, flat, with its eyes closed and breathing quickly. My wife was eventually able to get it to draw its legs up (good sign) but it just sat in that pose with its eyes closed for 10 minutes. We put it in a separate cage for another 20 minutes, concerned the activity of its 8 litter mates would further stress it. Eventually it lifted its ears, but still hunkered in a corner with its eyes closed, not moving at all. Then it dawned on us that perhaps he had gotten a concussion when he fell and the spasms and paralysys was the result of that. And if it were a concussion, he probably needed stimulation rather than to just sit there and be allowed to drift off. So, confident he could at least walk if he had to, we put him back in with his siblings, who were now pretty chill due to having completed their morning feeding. As we went about our business, we noticed him nudging in with his brothers and sisters, occasionally being bumped and climbed over, and in general being forced to stay alert enough to deal with home life. Over the next hour he went from stupor, to cleaning, to eating, and then to drinking. By the afternoon, we has 100%, and had we not marked his ear when he got hurt, we wouldn’t have been able to tell him from the others. So, we thank the good Lord he survived the fall and what we are pretty sure was a mild concussion.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back