Guinea Pigs....grrrrr

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wild1slilfarm

Reaction score
I started with 4 females and 5 males the fist of the year, now im down to 3 females. my males just started dieing late feb. no of them were over 2yrs...any Ideas :x ?

Poor piggies! Sorry for your loss!

There are g-pig raisers here- but I am not one of them. More info would help them help you though.

What do you feed? How and where are they housed? How old were they when you got them? Were they bred? Did they show any symptoms? Lose their appetites? Were they getting enough vitamin C?

i need some details.

1. what are you feeding them?
2. are you noticing hair loss? Thinness? Bald patches? Crusties around eyes?
3. age?
4. housing (though guinea pigs can survive in fairly rough housing)
5. are you supplementing vitamin C? and if so.. HOW?
6. are they just up and dying or what symptoms are you seeing in them?

Are you breeding them and have they been breeding well? We were just discussing on the cavybreeders forum about guinea pig stds and how they aren't as obvious as rabbit ones. They don't get noticeable symptoms they just start dying when bred and it spreads through the herd. Males hump even males so can pass it in a boar pen if one is used as a breeder or if you breed a sow to several boars because she's not taking and/or losing litters. The testing for and treatment is quite expensive.

Latest posts

Back