Good deal?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rabbit92

Reaction score
I just got the rabbits yesterday off of craigslist. I got them for $4 each and I'm not sure what breed they are or if there even good to breed for meat. Andis also don't noe how old they are. I got two does and a buck.

Here's the two does
2vnp9w4.jpg

2z5mwyw.jpg

2rdzyid.jpg

AND Here's the buck
2w6zzt0.jpg

2hh2as0.jpg

The white ones at least, look like a New Zealand Whites (NZW), a classic meat breed. The blackish one (sorry, I'm not good with color names) may be a New Zealand type too, but I'm less sure. If you only got two New Zealands for the $16 you spent, I'd say it was a good deal. $15 is the low end of what I'd expect to pay for one rabbit and you got three.

Also, unless you know they have been eating carrots regularly (like giving candy to a baby, very sugary and fattening), you probably don't want to feed them such large pieces at one time. A bit as a treat occassionally is fine, carrot greens are fine, but remember to introduce new foods/treats to the rabbits slowly so you don't cause an imbalance in their digestive tract.

They look wonderful and if they are people-oriented, you should get many years of companionship from them :D

They look like NZs to me, too. That's actually a commercial meat breed, so they have had their meat-producing qualities developed well.

They look young, I mean like 14-16 weeks, but I'm not sure.

Great buy! :D

AnnClaire":1um7asc0 said:
Also, unless you know they have been eating carrots regularly (like giving candy to a baby, very sugary and fattening), you probably don't want to feed them such large pieces at one time. A bit as a treat occassionally is fine, carrot greens are fine, but remember to introduce new foods/treats to the rabbits slowly so you don't cause an imbalance in their digestive tract.

They look wonderful and if they are people-oriented, you should get many years of companionship from them :D
I thought the same thing when i saw the large piece of carrot.

OK ty all of you guys that are replying. So do you think it is a good idea to get 2 more of the white ones for another $4 ea?

:wbounce: If I could find some for only $4 each I would buy all they would sell!!! I paid $25 each for mine!

OK thanks guys I'm probably going to pick up both of them up tomorrow

How old do you guys think the rabbits in the picture are? I was told 2 months?

If they're two months, they're nicely sized, from what I can tell! My original guess was 14-16 weeks, which would be 3 1/2 - 4 months. Maybe they aren't quite as big as they look. Have you weighed them?

i wish i could i could find rabbits like that for 4 dollars each, i would buy them all, and eat the ones i didnt want to keep.<br /><br />__________ Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:21 am __________<br /><br />i myself would eat the black ones, i dont want to raise black ones.

toastedoat37":2w082n3l said:
i wish i could i could find rabbits like that for 4 dollars each, i would buy them all, and eat the ones i didnt want to keep.

__________ Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:21 am __________

i myself would eat the black ones, i dont want to raise black ones.

blackbunneh.jpg

Basement bunneh duz nawt uproov dis post.... :nana:

toastedoat37":1eh6l19x said:
i wish i could i could find rabbits like that for 4 dollars each, i would buy them all, and eat the ones i didnt want to keep.

__________ Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:21 am __________

i myself would eat the black ones, i dont want to raise black ones.

You know I don't like the black ones either, I never ws much for solid black animals, or any solid colors (notice the patterned german shepherds, barred chickens and mostly agouti rabbits), but my lines carry black, all of my agoutis do, and I can't seem to get away from them.<br /><br />__________ Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:23 am __________<br /><br />
rabbit92":1eh6l19x said:
How can you tell the difference between a mini rex and a standard rex?

The obvious is standards are 2-3 times larger. A full sized mini Rex is the same size as a 12-16 week old Rex. Mini Rex usually have small ears that do not go past there nose if folded forward. it's kind of hard for me to explain, but a rex at all stages just looks bigger than a mini at all stages. Perhaps I'll take a pict of minis and standards side by side.

Yeah that would be helpful thanks.

__________ Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:57 pm __________

Here's my rex can you guys tell if it's a mini or standard rex.
30ndhlh.jpg
<br /><br />__________ Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:08 am __________<br /><br />Dose anyone noe if she's a standard rex and a mini rex?

Back