Getting weight on a Elop

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jasharia

Reaction score
Now that the weight has changed on the Elops a few breeders have sold some of there stock then it got me thinking. What if you use a Flemish to breed in that bigger bone and heavier weight. I don't have the problem as of yet but I only have 2 SR right now. The onlys I sold out of where smaller and never make the new weight. I was think of getting a flemish doe and giveing it a try for bigger Elops.

Wouldnt breeding an Elop to a Flem cause an impurity in the bloodline for many generations (wont be a true elop anymore, it would be a cross) ?

Yea but breeding for show standard you can use other breeds to add to help make your breed better. I got this advice from a verry good judge. He said if I have a problem with the long shoulder of my English angora to use a nice NZ to get the right body type. People also use ND for the woolies to have shorter ear. I know it is going to take a few generations to make it a pure Elop again. Papers that have 3 Generations of just one breed is what they say is a purebred.

Your right about the 3 generations... atleast where the pedigree in concerned. So I guess breeding Elop to Elop atleast 3 generations past the cross would put purity back into the line.
Gotta say, Im still a lil' suprised that the changed the SOP without so much as a warning. What a bust to those breeders who have invested so much of their time & money and are now left out in the cold. Granted its only a half pound, but I know putting weight on a Elop buck is one of the biggest challenges of the breed.

A breeder friend of mine has an Elop that is a purebred with a 3 gen pedigree, but she has Flemish somewhere in her background. Unfortunately that darn rollback coat keeps popping up and the standard calls for flyback. I don't think it is a bad idea at all, but you will want to keep a close eye on how heavy their bone is (you don't want them too massive- moderation is good) and their coats in addition to all the usual stuff (health, ears, topline, etc.) when you are picking your keepers. :)

Best of luck!

Lauren

As of January 2011, senior bucks have to be 9.5lbs or over and senior does have to be 10.5lbs or over, so it is probably a good idea to aim for bucks 10lbs+ and does 11lbs+ if possible.

Thanks!

Lauren

What about a flemish/NZ cross? NZ are notorious for being thrifty eaters to a fault, the flemish has the mandolin body and the NZ should have the flyback coat...For that matter, I had a 12.5 lb NZ doe, who was a little mandolin shaped (she didn't meet the standard for the NZ)--bad type for a NZ, good for an E Lop?

That could work if you can find one. I think anything that has the mandolin look can work. Ohh I bet a nice giant chinchilla would be nice and get that nice chinchilla color also. They have the flyback fur hmmmmmm

Back