getting out of rabbits

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have decided last night that i am getting out of rabbits.I have lots of reason too. THAt i really dont want to share... But.... I am keeping one. I have to have one around my homestead. I am keeping a young male champagne.. he will be my pet and very spoiled at that.

I am sorry to hear that Mary Ann, but I know you likely have thought it over very carefully. I hope it works out for the best for you and your family.

I am sorry to hear that. I was just talking to my sheep herding instructor. If prices don't change a lot of people are going to get rid of their animals.

I'm glad you're keeping one rabbit as a pet, Mary Ann. I hope you'll still visit us here at RabbitTalk. Maybe down the road, if circumstances change, you'll be able to get back into rabbits.

I am right on the verge of letting mine go too, cut down the herd by two thirds in September and got rid of a few breeds. Seriously considering letting them all go, its so much work, my son's not into it, we quit the 4H rabbit club, and food is going higher and higher. I've got about thirty, two of my breeds are rare breeds, my BEW Mini Rex program is going very well, and I just like the Florida Whites, hard to let one go over the other. And Convention is in Harrisburg for the first time since the 70's this year. I may hold out and sell everything at convention. I'm just so tired of all the work, and expense, I'll keep a few pets but I think I'm ready to move on.

:( :( :( So sorry you're having to get out, Mary Ann, and that Honorine might, as well. Like Maggie said, maybe in better times, y'all can get back in.

Wow, seems strange to see folks leaving rabbit raising due to the costs - I got INTO raising them because they were cheaper and less work than goats, sheep or poultry! But I have read enough posts by now to realize it may be due to the old real estate maxim: Location, Location, Location. I can grow rabbit food, plus even buying it is cheap (again, due to its being grown locally), the rabbitry setup is largely multipurpose, and portable if I move, and most important (probably), I am not dependent on rabbit sales for an income. It's more of a hobby for me, and much cheaper than restoring antique cars (a long ago hobby)! Hope things get better for those of you in more expensive areas. Do keep us informed.

I'm sorry to hear that, Mary Ann. :(

I too hope that you will continue to share your knowledge here.

I think you should keep a Champagne doe too. Just in case, y'know. ;)

MaggieJ":1dojc1av said:
I'm glad you're keeping one rabbit as a pet, Mary Ann. I hope you'll still visit us here at RabbitTalk.
Yes, i am keeping one.. i will be on here. I cant stay away. lol

__________ Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:21 pm __________

Honorine":1dojc1av said:
I'm just so tired of all the work, and expense, I'll keep a few pets but I think I'm ready to move on.
THAT IS IT EXACTLY... I have done this three times now. It is just to much work ...I do the chickens, ducks , pig.... but when it comes to the rabbits. It takes me 3 times the amount out there ... Since i am getting older...hummmmmm.. a little older. I am not likely stay out longer on the cold winter mornings. The other animals take no time at all. So rabbits have to go.

__________ Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:24 pm __________

MamaSheepdog":1dojc1av said:
I too hope that you will continue to share your knowledge here.I think you should keep a Champagne doe too.
I thought about keeping a doe... but you know , i will have to breed her...Then i am keeping all of the females in it .. THEN numbers are back up again.. This time i am not going to keep a doe.. I am going to keep a buck back instead. ..I am being smarter this time.lol

I gave away most of the babies..A lady is coming tomorrow morning. I have homes for all the champagnes .. THE older gentleman always buys my rabbits from me. But not till next week. I am going to miss them.

You know, its funny, I've been thinking real hard on selling off all but the kids pets. Then just getting asome couple angoras for pets and to use their wool. Its just to much work now that im homeschooling the kids and living in town.
So I fully understand.

Terry I didn't have AmChins, I had Standard Chins, and I sold or butchered them all in September. Had a hard time selling them, wasn't much of a demand, and they made lousy pets, very commercial temperament even with work.

Mary Ann I'm not too proud to say that at 49 I'm feeling old, and yes I spend so much more time on the rabbits than any of the other animals. I have stacker cages, and it seems like I'm always cleaning trays, I try to do one stack a day, thats 6 trays, and they are heavy and hurt my back. Winter is the worst, frozen water and worrying that their eating enough. Maybe I just need a break. Maybe I should do a colony setup with one breed, see how that works. Its so hard to let them go. If I had a different system with single hanging cages with a worm bed underneath I think it would be much easier. Its the stackers that are killing me. Also if I could just pick one breed well that would help too--- Want to spend more time with my dogs, not scraping rabbit poop out of trays.

Sorry to hear you are getting out of rabbits, but glad to hear you are going to have one "hang around" to enjoy their quirky ways. Understand with responsibility and how some changes have to be made to keep the responsibility going. Economy everywhere is dismal at best and hoping one day myself that it turns around so that I can also get back into rabbits. But in the mean time 10 is our limit and they all are fun. You will enjoy that House Rabbit. He may even help persuade you in the future to start it all over again. Good Luck. Hope you stay here because your past experiences will always be in need to those starting out.

Karen

Sorry to hear you had to make this decision, Mary Ann. Glad though you will still keep a rabbit around and will still visit the forum :)

Honorine: I feel for you about trying to select and stick with "just one" or two breeds. We did heavy cutting back here too. Even nice, good animals that were favorites. This year I was offered a breed I have wanted for a long time too and it frustrates me & makes me sad. Picking up another job to cover bills is an option but then I'd have to get out of rabbits anyway since my time for them would be gone.

I agree that rabbits are very costly, compared to some other animals. My, now just 9 rabbits, cost the same as a large dog to constantly feed, while ALL my other animals cost me darn near nothing. Even the fish, who are fed frozen foods. It's ridiculous.
Cost is the reason I'm purging my rabbits to the bone to get far better stock. Hoping that makes it more cost worthwhile in the long run.

<(^.^)>
Mary Ann,
Hoping the best for you and your family!

We were going through a bag every two days, but now are going through a bag every 3 days thankfully. Manna Pro even uped their prices for their feed. Which means our feed bill per month is currently over $140. We have 10 small dogs (Papillons and Chinese Cresteds) and their feed bill for a month is about $50, and they are fed a quality food. But truthfully if we had the same amount of dogs as we do rabbits we'd be paying $400 per month. So rabbits are cheaper to feed, but when you have more than a few it isn't cheap anymore. This is why I had to let go of many rabbits I didn't necessarily want to, and will have to cut my herd even more. It's not fun when it gets overwhelming. I don't plan to sell out, but to edit the situation to where it is more affordable and enjoyable. Sorry to hear you have decided to sell out. I would personally just cut your herd in half. It would make a huge difference for you.

Back