Genetics of litter size.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

6riversfarms

Reaction score
I have read conflicting information on the genetic influence of litter size (number born) in rabbits. Some sources say genetics have no influence on litter size, some sources say litter size is heavily influenced by genetics.

What say you?

Heavily influenced by genetics. There are bloodlines that regularly have huge litters and those that are prone to small litters and no amount of nutrition or ACVinegar or matings or synconizing with the moon will produce more

BUT

The environment also plays a role as a doe with the genetic potential to have litters of 10+ cannot do so if her reproductive system is plugged up with fat or she is too thin or its too hot and the bucks sperm is fried etc...

:cheesysmile:

Zass":1tl3269f said:
The physical size of the doe and milk supply are a few of the genetic factors that affect the amount of kits a doe can carry and raise.
Tell that to my 3lb 10oz Netherland x Mini Lop who had a litter of 9 last year :shock:

Genetics do affect t litter size. one must consider the reproductive and mothering history of the sires female side, as that adds in to the equation for his daughters. <br /><br /> __________ Tue May 05, 2015 3:25 pm __________ <br /><br /> Genetics do affect t litter size. one must consider the reproductive and mothering history of the sires female side, as that adds in to the equation for his daughters.

Just a small anecdote on litter size...

I sold a friend on of my large mutt does(well I sold her the whole herd, but that's a diff story). This doe had been bred here. Produced 7 both times. When my friend told me that she bred the doe, I bet her $5 that the doe would have 7 babies. Which she did. Her daughter was bred also - first litter. We decided to go double or nothing on the daughter's litter being 7.

My friend now owes me $10 and does not want to bet against either doe having a litter of 7!

Dood":7p9tlgbf said:
Zass":7p9tlgbf said:
The physical size of the doe and milk supply are a few of the genetic factors that affect the amount of kits a doe can carry and raise.
Tell that to my 3lb 10oz Netherland x Mini Lop who had a litter of 9 last year :shock:

Well, yeah. There are going to be exceptions. :roll:

An average though, breeders seem pretty happy to see 3-5 kits from a dwarf, but meat breeds had better produce at least 6-10 to be considered worth holding onto.

Lol

Yes she is certainly an exception - in more ways than one :mrgreen:

Her Mini Lop dad comes from my bloodline that regularly produces 6 to 8 kits and she must of gotten his good production genes as her ND mother never had more than 5

They were sooo tiny it was ridiculous - they literally looked like peanuts or Vienna sausages ;)

Back