Gender confusion...???

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sinnfox

Reaction score
Okay, I'll start by saying the sex change fairy has visited here a few times and so far hadn't bugged me to much. This however I'm not sure how to feel about. I bought a lovely 3 month old mini rex doe. Breeder checked her clearly a female. I checked her, defiantly girl bits. She goes into quarantine. she makes it out of quarantine. I check her over still my pretty little girl. A week goes by and its time for nail trimming again. I pull out my pretty little girl and she, well she has testicles o_O Mind you the other bit is still female, but it is girl bits with testicles? She? is a bit over four and a half months old now so I think this is about it. I don't mind the sex change fairy often as I mentioned but stopping half way seems a bit rude :/

I wonder if she can be bred? Or if she's a hermaphrodite? <br /><br /> __________ Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:54 pm __________ <br /><br /> Oh and pics? That sounds interesting.

i'll take pics in the morning so i have better light...friend says i need to start calling it dog food since it is probbaly useless...and not something id want in my line :/

I would ask the same. I had a buck that I could not tell was a buck until he was around 6 mos. My lines take TIME to drop their stuff, until really recently, it was common for my newly SR bucks to not have testicles. Even the Angora buck I got last year did not have descended testicles till 6 mos.

I got side tracked... Anyway, the buck who I couldn't tell, came from the litter where I got two split penises. So at 4 mos, the penis may not have closed yet. Either way, I would not want that in my lines.

Miss M":8hm2srvy said:
There was a thread recently with pictures of what was identified as a split penis. It looked an awful lot like "girl bits" to me, but in one of the pictures you can see a testicle off to one side.

split-penis-graphic-t20414.html

Oh yeah, he had two fully formed testes, and plenty of "buck smell". I never doubted his maleness ;)

I pulled it out to take pics and it looks a bit more male now not as much so as my other split buck (other split buck is a pet) but as for hermaphrodite...I'll check when i butcher him, but I wouldn't be surprised i have had geez at least 3 others I believe so far in the past 3 years? i was told they are supposed to be rare but i have weird luck i guess :/

They can be rare, or they can be genetic. After seeing two in the same lines, I figured genetic.

all my hermaphrodites...from completely different places, so not related...none born here...all bought with me trying to grow them out from breeder stock. Not even the same breeds. o_O my luck is just off this way :/ one was an american chinchilla, one a blue dutch, one was a differant mini rex, I think I had a mutt that was one as well but I don't remember for sure:/

In all my years of raising rabbits, -- I have yet to have "any of that" born on my place, -- and I have raised thousands---
it must be a problem with rabbit genetics, other then New Zealand, Flemish, and Cali, -- even my Muts I have now-- that are totally mixed, -- have not had any deformities at all,

Latest posts

Back