Fur Loss & Scratching (Your Input Please)

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rabbits By DK

Raising rabbits for meat and pelts since Feb. '23
Reaction score
One of my lionhead bucks has been losing fur on his neck and upper back. I think he's been pulling it out himself and scratching, but I don't know why. I suspected fleas, so I treated his fur, but I don't know what else to do. (Pictures attached.)
1709055480023.png
1709055491441.png
1709055503177.png

The two primary culprits I would suspect would be atopic dermatitis (which is basically just a non infectious patch of dry itchy skin that certain individuals are prone to, much like certain humans--tends to be a genetic thing), or a skin parasite, such as mange, fur mites, etc.

I would treat any parasite with topical ivermectin, as I have very low tolerance for itchy skin bugs that can be contagious either to other animals or even to you (I have big squick about this, so I am in the "take no prisoners" camp, feel free to take me with a grain of salt and try other remedies).

The reason I mention dermatitis is that his skin looks really healthy except for the missing fur and the few nail scratches, and sometimes at the beginning it can look like that. So something soothing, like neosporin or oil can sometimes ease the itch and solve the problem, though it may recur. Also keep nails trimmed and smooth.

The one other thing that occurs to me is that the english angoras I raise shed their entire coat about every 3 months. One of them literally gets bald naked patches like that, it is just his natural habit. If your lionhead has english angora in him that may be normal for him--and he is very fluffy.... How long have you had him? This would not start suddenly if he is 5, but if he is around bunny puberty I would expect it to start then.

The two primary culprits I would suspect would be atopic dermatitis (which is basically just a non infectious patch of dry itchy skin that certain individuals are prone to, much like certain humans--tends to be a genetic thing), or a skin parasite, such as mange, fur mites, etc.

I would treat any parasite with topical ivermectin, as I have very low tolerance for itchy skin bugs that can be contagious either to other animals or even to you (I have big squick about this, so I am in the "take no prisoners" camp, feel free to take me with a grain of salt and try other remedies).

The reason I mention dermatitis is that his skin looks really healthy except for the missing fur and the few nail scratches, and sometimes at the beginning it can look like that. So something soothing, like neosporin or oil can sometimes ease the itch and solve the problem, though it may recur. Also keep nails trimmed and smooth.

The one other thing that occurs to me is that the english angoras I raise shed their entire coat about every 3 months. One of them literally gets bald naked patches like that, it is just his natural habit. If your lionhead has english angora in him that may be normal for him--and he is very fluffy.... How long have you had him? This would not start suddenly if he is 5, but if he is around bunny puberty I would expect it to start then.
Would olive oil work? I've had him for only a few months, but I got him when he was a year and a half old. He is purebred lionhead, so I doubt he has any angora in him. I trimmed his nails only a couple weeks ago, so he should be fine there.

Would olive oil work? I've had him for only a few months, but I got him when he was a year and a half old. He is purebred lionhead, so I doubt he has any angora in him. I trimmed his nails only a couple weeks ago, so he should be fine there.
Olive oil on the skin would be perfect, try not to let it run all over the place, because that fur is going to soak it up. When you trim nails again be sure they are smooth as possible, the idea is he will be less likely to make marks if his nails don't get sharp. Just keep an eye on him for skin health and excessive scratching.

Keep in mind that "purebred lionheads" were originally bred from other breeds in europe, and were imported to the us, where they were sometimes crossbred to broaden the genepool. Many angora/long haired breeds do molt, and sometimes it is dramatic and looks funny when it happens. I would speculate that a lionhead likely has a similar genetic mechanism that creates the long fur, and may also potentially molt, with the resulting awkwardness.

That said, the back of the head and the shoulders are THE place for self inflicted scratching, and molting does not generally get super itchy. I hope he gets better soon!

Olive oil on the skin would be perfect, try not to let it run all over the place, because that fur is going to soak it up. When you trim nails again be sure they are smooth as possible, the idea is he will be less likely to make marks if his nails don't get sharp. Just keep an eye on him for skin health and excessive scratching.

Keep in mind that "purebred lionheads" were originally bred from other breeds in europe, and were imported to the us, where they were sometimes crossbred to broaden the genepool. Many angora/long haired breeds do molt, and sometimes it is dramatic and looks funny when it happens. I would speculate that a lionhead likely has a similar genetic mechanism that creates the long fur, and may also potentially molt, with the resulting awkwardness.

That said, the back of the head and the shoulders are THE place for self inflicted scratching, and molting does not generally get super itchy. I hope he gets better soon!
Thank you!

Latest posts

Back