Front leg quarters

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fuzzy9

Reaction score
We recently sent all our weanlings to FC, and these ones we quartered for our own use, not for the kitties this time. This time though, I put all the front quarters in a separate bag, and wanted to try something different. I want to try flour coating them with a seasoned flour mix, and deep fry them like a chicken wing. I'm afraid they'll be tough though, even after they've been rested in the fridge, so I'm wondering if I should par cook them first? Would putting them in the crock pot first, cooling them down to dredge in the flour mix, and then deep frying work? How long should they be par cooked, and what would be the best way? Anyone have any good seasoning mixes too?

Thanks!!

I've occasionally coated them with seasoned bread crumbs and oven baked them, sort of like Shake-n-Bake. They were okay, not particularly tough, but there's not much meat on them and it seemed more trouble than it was worth. I just put them with the rib cages for soup or rabbit pie now.

Thanks Maggie. I think I am just going to roast them for now, we ran out of time. Dave said he'll just pick at them, and pull the meat for making a sandwich spread or something.

On a side note, have you ever had crawfish? Every summer my family has a crawfish boil.........2 or 3 actually. It's one of those same deals, you don't get much meat, but half the fun is cracking the shell, and sucking the salty water out with the meat. Spread a bunch of newspaper out on the picnick table, and have at 'er! Toss the shells all in a pile, and then roll up the newspaper to burn when we're done. Fun times! :pinkbunny:

Are these older rabbits? I would think anything under about 12 weeks so long as you leave it in the fridge long enough to go through rigor mortis and become floppy again would fry just fine with no prep.

No, these are all younger rabbits, under 12 weeks. They've been in the fridge about a week. I usually just put my older rabbits in the crock pot.

fuzzy9":qt65qc3f said:
On a side note, have you ever had crawfish? Every summer my family has a crawfish boil.........2 or 3 actually. It's one of those same deals, you don't get much meat, but half the fun is cracking the shell, and sucking the salty water out with the meat. Spread a bunch of newspaper out on the picnick table, and have at 'er! Toss the shells all in a pile, and then roll up the newspaper to burn when we're done. Fun times! :pinkbunny:
Oooooooooooooooooo, yeah, and the crawfish are starting to come in now! :razz: :bouncy:

Aaaaahhhhhhhh......dreaming of summer!!!!!! :) Honestly, it's a favorite get together of our family! Last summer they came here to stay, bringing buckets full of crawfish. My step-dad and brother set traps a week ahead of time. It was also the hottest weekend of the summer! The humidity was so thick, you would sweat just sitting out there! We still had fun though.

Never had crawfish... the ones up this way are pretty small. I remember a memorable feast one summer when I was a kid. My dad caught a whack of bullfrogs for frogs legs. They were tasty enough but I wasn't sorry when the novelty wore off and he quit doing it.

Yes, you don't get much meat from them, but the fun for us is just the whole event itself. I like the salty dill taste too. :lol:

Have never tried frog legs, and don't know if I ever could. Eeeek! :p

Have never tried frog legs, and don't know if I ever could. Eeeek! :p

Oh, but why not? They're just like chicken! :twisted:

Edited to add:
I just want to clarify that I am not advocating killing wild frogs for the meat. This was 'way back in the early 1960's before the habitat loss and pollution took it's toll on the amphibian population. I was just razzing Geri. ;)

:lol: .................... :p

In my little mind, I keep envisioning all the frogs that come onto the warm blacktop when it's raining on a cool night. Sometimes you just can't avoid them, and all you hear is "thump, thump, thump"! Couldn't do it! :lol:

One cooking trick to tenderize meat is to soak in buttermilk overnight. This might work for your "rabbit wings" . I marinate and put them on the grill and that works. I am still getting the hang of cooking rabbit but the above trick works for chicken.

Latest posts

Back