Front leg broken (update 11.08)

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeannie

Reaction score
Some may remember that I had a rabbit that would occasionally come into the yard. I built her a place to hide and eat. I should have trapped her then, but felt that caging her would be too stressful ... well, you guys were right - I should have trapped her.

Anyhoo, she was gone for 3 weeks and I was worried about her. She came back yesterday with a front leg broken. I caught her and placed her in a cage next to the bucks she has been teasing over the last upteen months. They can't touch, but just see and smell each other.

She is not in any distress. Not showing any signs that she is in pain. She has ticks around her eyes.

Pain to deal with the ticks today (any suggestions welcome), but I am not sure about her leg. I am sure this happened awhile back so splinting would be moot.

She is eating and drinking great. Seems happy and even though she is in a smaller cage (wanted to limit movement until I can assess the damage better) she doesn't seem to mind the space constriction.

I guess what I am asking is: do rabbits heal like cats?
I had a cat hit by a car and broke her hip. Her back leg was just hanging there and swayed when she walked. The vet said to keep her quiet and she very likely will heal. She did - it was amazing. She took about 3 months and started to run again... and had another litter of kittens.

Aww, poor bunny. :(

I had a doe jump out of her cage (second tier) onto concrete pavers and she broke her rear leg. She had a litter that was a few weeks old, so I hesitated to cull her, since like your new rabbit, she didn't exhibit any signs of pain.

I tried splinting the leg, but that didn't work out, so I just let it heal on its own. The leg was always crooked, but she got around just fine and even had another litter. :)

I think this rabbit will be just fine as well. :clover:

As for the "ticks" around her eyes... are you sure they are ticks? I think they may be poultry fleas. We call them "stick-tight fleas" because they are like ticks in that they attach themselves to the animal. They are commonly found around the eyes and sometimes on the ears of cats and dogs.

74257_img_5777.jpg

I have always just pulled them off with my fingers... but I have never seen as severe an infestation as that pictured above. If she has them really bad like that, I think I would try smothering them with mineral oil or something. :?

Yeah, the lil buggers look like that, but not that many - thank God!
Could I rub some DE into her coat as well? Not around the eyes of course.

And I think I will pull them off tomorrow. I want her to remain calm since I will be around her eyes. Right now I am hand feeding her graham cracker bits so she is starting to see me a friend :) although she never showed any fear around us when she was in yard.

I have since found out the catty-corner neighbor let her loose way back when. That guys neighbor was out walking and saw my other bunnies in the play yard and came over. We started talking about a rabbit that visits him, turns out it was this rabbit. He was glad we have her now. They named her Harvey.... kinda like a boy named Sue LOL

Harvey had quite the spread of area she was roaming in! She had to cross the road and irrigation ditch to get to us.

jeannie":humvtvlk said:
Could I rub some DE into her coat as well? Not around the eyes of course.

I have never seen those fleas stuck anywhere on a mammal except in really sparsely furred areas- around eyes and on ears, like I said- but that doesn't mean she doesnot have regular fleas or even mites, so I would. It wont hurt her at all.

I think I will pull them off tomorrow. I want her to remain calm since I will be around her eyes.

That sounds like a good plan. They aren't that harmful to most animals, although I have heard they can be dangerous for poultry, especially chicks, if the infestation is severe.

I would also take a look in her ears for ear mites tomorrow. May as well be thorough, now that you have captured her! :)

I have since found out the catty-corner neighbor let her loose way back when.

Oh, that's too bad. But maybe it was the best thing for her, if he couldn't even be bothered with feeding and watering one lone rabbit. Some people! :angry:

At least she is in good hands now! I'm sure she will quickly adjust to caged life again. I would make sure to gather weeds and greens for her at first, since pellets may be too rich and concentrated for her. Also give her a water crock since she may have forgotten how to use a bottle.

At least she is in good hands now! I'm sure she will quickly adjust to caged life again. I would make sure to gather weeds and greens for her at first, since pellets may be too rich and concentrated for her. Also give her a water crock since she may have forgotten how to use a bottle.
I did do the weeds, and some kale. She ignored the kale, did eat weeds, and lots of Timothy hay.
I did not think about her needing a crock! .... but she has drank from the bottle - almost finished one in that first day. I guess she remembered.

She gobbles up the pellets (always did when she visited us). Should I decrease them, or just watch for stomach upset? I will put some oatmeal in there too today, just in case.

They aren't that harmful to most animals, although I have heard they can be dangerous for poultry, especially chicks, if the infestation is severe.
Just have full grown chickens. They get hung upside down and dusted, but it looks like they will get another treatment... poor chickens, lol.

I would also take a look in her ears for ear mites tomorrow.
Will do. I was going to put mineral oil in just in case, but is there another treatment or preventative treatment that would be better? <br /><br /> -- Sat Nov 08, 2014 5:49 pm -- <br /><br /> Harveys front leg is not going to function, but she has no trouble getting around! Hubby built her an "apartment"... she seems to like her view from above :) She is such a wonderful bunny!
All the buggies are gone ~ she sat still while I used tweezers to pick at her. Never a blink or pull back!

Attachments

• harvey 4.jpg
    harvey 4.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 372
  • harvey apartment.jpg
    harvey apartment.jpg
    251.7 KB · Views: 372
Thanks! She has adjusted very well. I am so proud of her.
The apartment is big enough to add another bunny for company ~ will revisit that idea in a week or so :)
There is 8' of running room and a 2' boxed in section with a doorway for her on the far left (can't see that in the photo).
And no... my rabbits aren't spoiled :p :)
Okay... yes they are!

such a wonderful story...she came back to the ones she knew would take care of her! spoil her rotten she has had it rough but now she has the good life :D

She looks very happy! What a lucky bunny! :p

jeannie":1e5imed9 said:
And no... my rabbits aren't spoiled :p :)
Okay... yes they are!

I'll say! I'm glad my rabbits don't have internet access or they would mutiny for sure! ;)

Back