Free Rabbits - NICE ones!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dragonladyleanne

Reaction score
So yeah, I was buying rabbit food the other day, and the clerk asks if I know anyone who wants some rabbits, she had an oops litter. I remembered she'd shown me a photo of a rabbit she'd trapped when someone dumped a bunch of domestics in her neighborhood, so I asked how much, and she said FREE, as long as they wouldn't be eaten. I said, what about bred for their offspring to be eaten, because I was pretty sure she knew I raised meat rabbits, and she said "that's fine, I just don't want the adults being eaten, as I got them for pets". Since she was working, it was vague, but I thought the photo she had shown me previously was the doe with litter, and I recalled it being a medium rabbit. She said a lionhead buck that she had THOUGHT was a doe had gotten her pregnant. She wanted to give away all 10 rabbits (mama had 6 babies), but I told her I didn't need ANY more bucks, but I'd try to help her find the 2 boys homes as well. So I go out expecting to get 2 "medium sized" does, one of whom has a litter of small babies, since daddy is a "lionhead" . . . except he WASN'T really, just a little extra fluff between the ears, on the jowls, and on his flanks, but a pretty sizeable boy. Turns out HE was the bunny who she'd first shown me, the 2 does were store bought for her nieces (who typically did not want them), and this boy had hopped on as soon as she put him with the one doe. And the other male was also a "stray", but she'd not housed him with anyone else. So anyway, pix or it didn't happen . . .

Attachments

• Buck, medium-large.jpg
    Buck, medium-large.jpg
    307.8 KB · Views: 1,397
  • Baby Daddy.jpg
    Baby Daddy.jpg
    301.6 KB · Views: 1,397
  • Quarantine Cages.jpg
    Quarantine Cages.jpg
    194.3 KB · Views: 1,397
  • New doe 2.jpg
    New doe 2.jpg
    172 KB · Views: 1,397
  • New doe 1.jpg
    New doe 1.jpg
    201.6 KB · Views: 1,397
Don't hold the legs like that, they will easily break.
Congrats on the new buns, though.

ChickiesnBunnies":pn5q7pea said:
Don't hold the legs like that, they will easily break.
Congrats on the new buns, though.

That's not me holding him, that's the lady holding him still for the photo. He's still a little "wild" since she's only had him a month. I don't know how long he'd been out before that. I usually only pull them out of their cages by the scruff, and cup their butts for half a minute before either putting them down, or flipping and holding either in a "football hold" with their heads tucked under my arm, or against my chest if they're small and like petting. If they start kicking while in the scruff hold, I keep my grip but put them on the ground and press down until they calm. But thanks for the concern, and the congrats!

Ah, ok then.
I hold them around the chest against me with one hand, other hand pushes the thighs/knees down to keep them straight, can't kick if they can't bend them. Heck, I've scuffed the neck and the butt before on very nutty rabbits. Anything other than holding bones is far safer.

He looks SF and AmChin, a heck of a lot like my mixes. But unless he has some silvering, there's little to no fox in him.

There's a petshop up here that sells huge Lionheads, I'd guess LH mixed with angora at some point.

He does have silvering, lightly, but he also has a lot of brown mixed into the black. I guessed SF partly because of his kits (which I will try to get pix of after mom gets used to me a bit more), as they all had that forehead S mark that my Champagne/SF kits had at that age. Mama is a LITTLE silvered, but not much, she's more just solid black. At any rate, great sizes for adding to my meat mutt mamas.

OMG!! The white rabbit just made a fur lined nest!!!! Glad I put her in my other large cage, rather than the smaller one I had "on hand"!

I texted the lady, and she said "no other rabbits in with her" and "she sometimes does that", but that is an AWFULLY nice nest! I have heard of through the wire breedings, so I won't be surprised (and certainly not disappointed) if some squeakings come from that nest tomorrow or the day after! But she could just be excited by the move, and the bigger accomodations.

Back