Found my new German Shepherd!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SarahMelisse

Reaction score
20131020-145424.jpg

Isn't he cute? We picked him up on Saturday from a nice family that had just this one litter and the two parents. So they were by no means "breeders", but their dogs looked healthy, were friendly, and their living conditions were very clean. The father was pure white and the mother was a black/tan retired police dog.

We brought home an 11-week old tri-colored purebred male. Really it's just his toes and a little of his chest that is white. He is very sweet and we have started training him with the basic commands. The hardest part is crate training so far. He really hates it, but he isn't house broken yet so I can't trust him to be loose 24/7. It's nice that I homeschool my daughter because now we can start out our day with walking the dog.

So far, so good!

He is very handsome, and looks calm and attentive as well! His condition looks excellent, and it is great that he comes from working lines. :)

I love his name, too. Nice German name for a German dog. :yes: I had a Great Dane named Klaus once. :)

Keep going with that crate training. Make that crate his best friend and safe spot from the world. If you stick with it, both you and he will be glad you did.

He's super cute! GSD's are about our favorite breed. We have one named Aurora. Smartest, most difficult dogs I've ever met. lol

Nice doggie! Make his crate like a nice doggie den: cover it with a blanket or towel, give him a special "chewie" he gets only when he's in the crate. Since he's 11 weeks old, he'll soon be losing his baby teeth and growing his adult teeth, so special chewies will be an absolute necessity. Some people use frozen bagels or other hard breads; the cold helps soothe the puppy's gums, and the taste of the bread is the additional "motivator." :wink:

Hallo, Hänsel! Gutes Hündchen! :D (Hello, Hänsel! Good puppy!)

congratulations!

Btw they are breeders. put two dogs together to produce offspring = breeders.

tailwagging":23pxllrv said:

:lol: Good point. Touche', TW! You are awarded 5 points. ;)

I was not trying to start anything. i guess i am very sensitive to the negative vibe that ARs have set about with their use/meaning of "breeder"
Most people who breed very little (but still do breed) wouldn't consider themselves breeders. so don't feel that "breeder laws" or "breeder codes of ethics" will/should apply/affect them.

I must admit that when, in an email response to my ad for pups on CL, someone asked "Are you a breeder?" it made me very nervous. I skirted the question. ;)

Aaaahhh what a handsome boy and very intelligent eyes! He's gonna be a big smart boy!
Congratulations!! :)

Thanks guys! We love him so much already. His little personality is already starting to shine through. Now if I could just keep him from jumping up on our 4-year old daughter, life would be golden. We'll get there. I think we all need a little training. ;)

MamaSheepdog":391hqbf3 said:
He is very handsome, and looks calm and attentive as well! His condition looks excellent, and it is great that he comes from working lines. :)

I love his name, too. Nice German name for a German dog. :yes: I had a Great Dane named Klaus once. :)

A German name for a German dog on a German farm with a German mom. Lol!

__________ Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:10 pm __________

tailwagging":391hqbf3 said:
congratulations!

True, true. I guess I meant that they weren't professional breeders... if that makes any more sense than it did previously. :shock:

__________ Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:12 pm __________

MamaSheepdog":391hqbf3 said:
I must admit that when, in an email response to my ad for pups on CL, someone asked "Are you a breeder?" it made me very nervous. I skirted the question. ;)
I don't blame ya! I'm always half suspicious of people asking questions like that right off the bat.

SarahMelisse":sfwirqgy said:

But no German rabbits! :eek:

:hmm: I think you need some German Angoras in addition to those Frenchies...

JDWest, this is unrelated, but I love how your avatar has a little kit waving at us all. Hi little ruby-eyed baby!<br /><br />__________ Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:18 pm __________<br /><br />
MamaSheepdog":2mkcdwix said:
SarahMelisse":2mkcdwix said:

But no German rabbits! :eek:

:hmm: I think you need some German Angoras in addition to those Frenchies...

I know... You caught me. I am partial to the frenchies. And we have Italian honeybees counting against us too. Maybe we are more of a European menagerie. Lol.

Such a pretty boy. :) I presume he's going to have a job? I totally missed that if you mentioned what it'll be. Love his color, though. I think it's called panda in GSDs? Maybe? I could be wrong.

I have a GSD/Labrador mix who guards my rabbits and cats and herds any escapees. She keeps the yard and house safe, too. Great dog. Only problem is jumping and chewing. She finds tree limbs in the back of the yard and eats them. She has a nest in the yard made of wood chips and sawdust. :shock: On the other hand, she fostered a kitten and love, love, loves the rabbits, she thinks they are her babies. So I don't really mind. :lol:

Only thing I'd point out is that GSDs need a lot of socializing. They'll bond to the family very nicely, but they can become overprotective and nervous of strangers if you let them. With Mollie, we have a process of accepting people onto the property that she's used to, so she knows who is supposed to be there and who is not--and anyone, even someone she knows, is unwelcome until that process is fulfilled. On the other hand, on walks, she is taught to be friendly to everyone except physically capable men, which helps me with my peace of mind. Even then she's just aloof towards them. Oh, and one thing that might be a good idea? Teach your kid(s) to call for the dog, a particular command, in case they ever are scared. My parents have done that with both our GSD mixes and you could be a half a mile away and give the command and they'd come. Another great peace of mind. The first GSD mix we had, Ashley, would even start a siren-like howl if she couldn't reach or find us.

All in all, VERY good choice. ;) Best breed I've ever come across.

Latest posts

Back