Foraging Again

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cspr

Reaction score
So happy to have walked along this runoff creek near my home. Found narrowleaf plantain, broadleaf dock, yellow foxtail, dandelions, purple dead-nettle, wild onions, and a few types of clover. So much for the bunnies to nom on.

However, I discovered some things I have no names for, as per usual. Now I'm going to use your collective information. Note: All by a creek, by a roadway, backed against a forest. Shady and damp. I can get pictures if needed, because I have no clue how to describe plants.

1. Plant similar to cilantro or parsley. That is, the stem ends in round leaves that branch similar to cilantro and it grows similar to both plants. Grandmother thought it might be a type of chickweed.

2. Weed with purple flowers, can get pretty tall. Has leaves rose-like or mint-like and little fuzzy purple flowers. Leaves and flowers go left, right, left--each a bit above the one before.

3. Flower that looks sort of like a morning glory but was blooming at midday. Thinking Turkish climbing flower, but unsure; grandmother thought it was a wild violet.

4. A type of fleabane with lilac flowers.

5. Tree with heart-shaped leaves that go rusty-red in winter with three-sided fruit-like nuts that are green, green-brown, or brown with an interior trio of pale-colored nuts. Very small. Look like crabapples, but the insides and leaves are wrong.

Think that's it for now. :) Thanks for any help.

-blushes- My bad. Okay. I will take pictures soon and add them to this thread ASAP.

Cspr":3nxqlc27 said:
-blushes- My bad. Okay. I will take pictures soon and add them to this thread ASAP.

No blushing required. It's just that verbal descriptions are impossible to go by for accurate identifications. Next walk...take your camera. :)

True. I will maybe take another walk just because I'm impatient. But with my camera. :lol: Note: Here's one, but all my other specimens wilted because I foolishly waited to take photographs, being an exhausted person who went on a walk despite medical issues like a boss. (Is that acceptable? IDEK.)

Leaves:
2hyz0qg.jpg

Fruit/nut things:
142d744.jpg
<br /><br />__________ Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:10 pm __________<br /><br />Oh, and #3 is a Turkish climbing flower. And I've identified one of the other plants I found on my second walk as sassafras, so I'm going to be making file powder and maybe root beer, if I decide to risk potential slight liver harm. I figure it's not much worse than alcoholic beer, but do I know this? No. No I do not.

ummm...sassafras! I sure do love me a good root beer! Best I've tasted was at Mount Vernon using George Washington's original recipe.

Your liver can handle a sassparilla or root beer as long as that isn't your sole diet item.

Thanks, Frecs! To my immense sadness, the sassafras plants had tiny, tiny little roots because they were growing on rocks. Not enough to be worth anything; however, I have some nice leaves to use as seasoning, so that's nice.

Does anyone have any idea about those fruit/nut/drupe things I found, or should I toss 'em? I mean, I have acorns and black walnuts to mess with as is and I'm going to toy with some elderberry bushes later today.

Before you toss them...go over the Davesgarden.com and find the forum on plant identification. Upload the pictures there with as much information as you can about where you found the plant. the folks there really know their plants.<br /><br />__________ Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:31 am __________<br /><br />then, come back here and tell us what they said!

Back