Fodder sprouting systems, anyone?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mystang89":1j9ikgk9 said:
Cool, thanks Frec. I didn't really want to leave a light on all day or anything like that and if it was just for heat I could put it next to the fire place. I think I might do like you though and put them next to the window for a bit.

__________ Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:48 pm __________

How about the watering? I looked up on this http://www.hydroponics.net/learn/faq.asp#How_often_do_I_water_in_an_ebb_flowwebsite and it talked about the ebb and flow system. They say the ebb and flow system is when you saturate the seeds with a nutrient solution. Is water considered a nutrient solution? In my mind it would be since it is nutritious for the plant but then I also think of stuff like miracle grow etc. On the website it says to water until the plants are completely submerged. Is that accurate?

Hydroponics and sprouted fodder are not exactly the same, there is some over lap, but you don't need nutrient solution for sprouting. It has everything it needs to sprout to 6-8 days on its own. For sprouting, think "flood and drain"....you want to flood the tray then drain it all out a few times a day.

OneAcreFarm":2hxggip0 said:
mystang89":2hxggip0 said:
Cool, thanks Frec. I didn't really want to leave a light on all day or anything like that and if it was just for heat I could put it next to the fire place. I think I might do like you though and put them next to the window for a bit.

__________ Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:48 pm __________

How about the watering? I looked up on this http://www.hydroponics.net/learn/faq.asp#How_often_do_I_water_in_an_ebb_flowwebsite and it talked about the ebb and flow system. They say the ebb and flow system is when you saturate the seeds with a nutrient solution. Is water considered a nutrient solution? In my mind it would be since it is nutritious for the plant but then I also think of stuff like miracle grow etc. On the website it says to water until the plants are completely submerged. Is that accurate?

Hydroponics and sprouted fodder are not exactly the same, there is some over lap, but you don't need nutrient solution for sprouting. It has everything it needs to sprout to 6-8 days on its own. For sprouting, think "flood and drain"....you want to flood the tray then drain it all out a few times a day.

Thanks. I bought a few Nursury "FLATS" (haha, inside joke that I'm probably the only one who gets or is laughing at atm, :p ) and they had holes already in them. I did forget to get one without holes in order to catch the water and I don't think I have anything to catch the water atm. I'll think of something.

Hmmm, 4 sets of holes....I have 5 kids....so maybe if I just have them stand underneath of the hole sets I won't have to worry about bathing them or getting them anything to drink. :D

I have been doing research, trying to find grains that I can grow in the summer, as our temps get up to 80F in the house most of the time. I am growing wheat fodder in the winter, and I have done it for the past few winters.

I just got a small (8 watt) pump and timer to water my trays automatically. Pump and timer were $30, so I'm now up to $50 for my system, or 2.5 bags of pellets. My basic system without the pump has paid that several times over, as I have 12 adults, 36 growers at any one time (plus poultry, pigs, goats, etc)

Here in Mexico, I discovered, they grow corn, instead of wheat or barley. Some operations even grow it to 12 days, giving nutrients after the 8th day, to get even more growth out of it (looks to be about 1 ft tall).

If you can read spanish (or you could use Google Translate), do a web search for "forraje verde hidroponico" (hydroponic green forage). The spanish word for corn is "maiz". Lots of systems throughout Mexico, though none in my area, which is kinda strange, as we are the cattle and dairy capital of Mexico.

Corn likes 70-75 for germination, 80+ for growing. That should be doable for me! The resulting fodder is a bit lower in protein than wheat (around 13-14%), but would still be worth it, if you fed with a higher quality hay.

I did find some spanish research papers on feeding corn fodder vs pellets for rabbits. On nearly all of them, fodder+minerals gain weight faster than the control group (pellets)

I just started the Winter wheat project today so we'll see how it goes. On the website OAF linked they used 6lbs of seed in their tray. It seemed like an awful lot to me. My trays are 11" x 21" "2 1/2" so they seem to fill up quicker than what theirs did. I went from 6lbs to 4 lbs of seeds and might take it to 3 depending on how deep that would give me in my trays.

I finally tried the winter wheat after several failed tries of barley, and voila it sprouted way easier! I think our house may be too cool (at least at nite) for barley to sprout......so if you are having trouble with barley, I'd recommend trying winter wheat.

mystang89":1gq3wfac said:
I just started the Winter wheat project today so we'll see how it goes. On the website OAF linked they used 6lbs of seed in their tray. It seemed like an awful lot to me. My trays are 11" x 21" "2 1/2" so they seem to fill up quicker than what theirs did. I went from 6lbs to 4 lbs of seeds and might take it to 3 depending on how deep that would give me in my trays.

That seems like a lot of grains for the size tray. You don't need to fill it to the top. Just a half inch roughly. As the roots grow, they will mat and expand.

you should seed 1lb per square foot of tray. 11" by 22" should have about 2 lbs. The seeds should not be more than 1/2" deep.

Thanks, I've been lessening the amount I put in the flat each time that I fill another flat. I was down to 5 cups but with it only needing 2 lbs in I will take it down to 4 cups.

I filled the first tray I did up with 6 pounds of seeds. Heh...yeahhh, just a bit too much. On the bright side though I am starting to see roots sprouting from the seeds I think. I just worry my house is too hot and dry for them as they are upstairs right now and to the side of the fire place under the window. But I suppose I'll keep an eye on them as I get home from work.

OK, I finally got everything set up and my seeds sprouted, albeit a little slow. Since they sprouted a bit slow I was wondering about how tall anyone who does this lets the fodder get before feeding it to the rabbits. I'm sure its more of a "how many days along is it" but about how tall is the fodder on that many days along?

I've temporarily halted my experiment. I need trays with more drainage...like make out of screen or something. Anyway...to answer your question, my wheatgrass was getting about 4 inches but that seemed short compared to what I saw online. Could be because of my issues with too much moisture retention and a bit too much "fermentation" versus sprouting.

I'm guessing the fermentation is that smell coming from it? Did you figure out a way to stop the fermentation or slow it down?

Yeah, there was definitely a smell of fermentation going on. Not to be confused with the smell of wheat germinating and growing. Definitely, fermenting. The only way I can figure to prevent fermentation is to make sure the sprouts don't stay too moist. There needs to be good drainage. Good air flow would help, too. So, what I need is different trays...more holes for drainage...and perhaps a fan to circulate the air. Not everyone may struggle with this...I am dealing with a high level of humidity -- it has been raining alot and we don't have HVAC so the moisture is not being removed from the air through the circulation system. so, your mileage may vary.

OneAcreFarm":90tqlmy6 said:
Most folks sprout wheat, oats or barley. The seeds are not that expensive, you can get a 50# bag for $10 or so at your feed store. You can feed fodder and add a mineral block and have a complete diet. Sprouting the grain raises the protein and fiber % and increases the amount of actual food by quite a bit. You feed 3-5% of the animal's body weight of fodder each day, so a 10lb rabbit would be fed 5-8oz of fodder a day. The 6 tray system makes 15lbs of fodder each day, or 240oz.

I just weighed my rabbit and she came out as 9.5lbs. So if I take 9.5lbs x 16 (16oz = 1 lb) that means she would weight 152 oz. 152oz x 4% (medium of 3 - 5% of animals body weight) = 6.08oz. I just want to me sure that this is correct math and that this is really all I need to feed my rabbits once a day. Of course I am still putting the clover hay in with them as well and I know that I will need to keep an eye out for weight loss etc by feeling of back bone. I also need a salt block right?<br /><br />__________ Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:33 pm __________<br /><br />I'm really not sure if it is the smell of fermentation or the smell of wheat growing as I've never fermented anything nor grown wheat. I don't think my wheat is staying too moist as it is literally right next to the fireplace. I do water it 3 times a day.

ummm.... I sorta try the tilting thing...but...I could try increasing the number of holes...or tilting on the short axis rather than on the long axis...there is some options there for experimentation certainly...

Latest posts

Back