Fleshing with a Pressure Washer?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok I thought I would see if anyone has tried to use a pressure washer for removing the fat and flesh when tan their rabbits. We had looked into this for our deer hides we have in the freezer that need tanning. I know rabbits are going to be a bit more challenging to try and do but I just saw on a trapping site I am on that a guy said he saw a video and a guy does everything from rabbits to bears in it. So let's see if anyone here has any experience in this or should we move on and not try this method. 🤔

I have done this with a deer hide, works great, leaves a big watery mess. Do it somewhere you can leave nature to clean up. And also, put the hide on a pallet or something. Otherwise it will pick up a bunch of mud you have to clean out.

I just fleshed 9 hides with a paring knife and my knuckles last weekend. I hated every minute, and it took me nearly the whole day. My hands ache, and I am cranky about the whole thing. One hide was determined to tear, the rest were sturdy. I am very interested in trying this but I do not have a pressure washer. Somebody needs to do this an report back! I will buy one for this express purpose if it works!

I just fleshed 9 hides with a paring knife and my knuckles last weekend. I hated every minute, and it took me nearly the whole day. My hands ache, and I am cranky about the whole thing. One hide was determined to tear, the rest were sturdy. I am very interested in trying this but I do not have a pressure washer. Somebody needs to do this an report back! I will buy one for this express purpose if it works!
I got a fleshing knife finally. Nice. This year I'm going to flesh, soak, flesh. Using the alum, salt? mixture. But you got 9 done, that's great!!

I used the alum/salt solution. My fleshing knife has always been a dullish paring knife and I just use it to start the edge, and then work it off like peeling a label. I leave the hides cased until they are fleshed, fully tanned, and open them right before I am ready to wash out and break. Dunno if that is best but it makes me snag less fur in my struggles. Definitely my least favorite rabbit chore, even over freezer camp day. I keep threatening to switch to angoras and get the fuzz off the live rabbit! But I still need the meat so it would not solve much, lol.

I used the alum/salt solution. My fleshing knife has always been a dullish paring knife and I just use it to start the edge, and then work it off like peeling a label. I leave the hides cased until they are fleshed, fully tanned, and open them right before I am ready to wash out and break. Dunno if that is best but it makes me snag less fur in my struggles. Definitely my least favorite rabbit chore, even over freezer camp day. I keep threatening to switch to angoras and get the fuzz off the live rabbit! But I still need the meat so it would not solve much, lol.
I found breaking the hardest part on my old hands but since it was my first time it really amazed me to watch them turn white. wow. Freezer camp day haha good term. Yes I hate that day also.

I have a trick for breaking--get those wool dryer balls or some tennis balls, throw damp hides into the dryer on no heat/air fluff setting. The tumbling does about 50-70% of the job for you, but it does take hours of running the dryer.

Latest posts

Back