Flemish weight sounds off, maybe shes younger then i thought

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BunnyGirl

Reaction score
I tried to weigh my bunnies today but maybe the scale is off? My 12 week old new zealand male is about 4-5 pounds. Which makes sence because he'll only get 8-10 pounds. But my 6 month old flemish giant girl (i was told she was 6 months) is about 5-6 pounds, almost the same. Does that sound right? Thanks

Sounds about right. Flemish Giants grow a little slower, but that does seem a little light for 6month old thou.

that is very small for a flemish! I dont have a current weight on my FG's but when my fawn doe was 5 months she weighed 12 pounds (she is on the small side) and my blue FG buck was 10 pounds at 3 months old.

Im looking at a growth chart for flemish giant rabbits and it says that at 2 months they should weigh around 5-6 pounds. But at 6 months they should weigh 11-12. I talked to the guy i got her from and he only had her for a month or so. The person he got it from said it was around 5 months. So she could be younger... Would a vet be able to tell how old she is?

BunnyGirl":81h9jsol said:
Im looking at a growth chart for flemish giant rabbits and it says that at 2 months they should weigh around 5-6 pounds. But at 6 months they should weigh 11-12. I talked to the guy i got her from and he only had her for a month or so. The person he got it from said it was around 5 months. So she could be younger... Would a vet be able to tell how old she is?

hm... what chart are you lookin at?
i have 2 FG does that i got at an auction, tryin to see how old they are. each at 5lbs.

ahhh... super helpful :)
i weighed my two FG does today and they are 5lb 12oz and 6lb. so if their weights are right on what they should be then they are about 2months old.

Are they light grays? All colors of Flemish are not the same, and can't be measured by the same 'chart'. There are colors which are larger, sandies, most REW and fawns are the largest, then the rest, loosely in this order- Blacks, Grays, Steels, Blues. You simply cannot expect the smaller colors to be the same as a Sandy, once in awhile you get a monster but most breeders keep those. I bred light grays, there was a lot of variation, and no they were not 5-6 lbs at 8 weeks. Most times bucks ran full grown 13 to 15lbs, does 14 to 18lbs. They always look heavier than they are. Now I've seen 25lb Sandies---

my two are what i think is a not so good sandy (named sandy lol), she has a sandy color but has the darker hairs and looks more agouti then the actual "SANDY" pics i see online. the other looks kinda like a silver fox color (named shadow lol), she is like a black with silvering, like what i would imagine a black and a steel-grey would look like if you could combine their fur color.

i hadnt thought of the varieties growing slower then another... similar to new zealand reds supposedly tend to grow slower then NZW?

Latest posts

Back