First time tattooing ... ugh

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BC Belgians

Reaction score
I am pretty sure you have all discussed this topic to death on here, but I am still having trouble finding my way around and couldn't find a recent discussion on it. If anyone wants to point me in the right direction (via link) that would be great, unless we just want to chat about it some more?

Rabbits are a new addition for me and I was unaware I should be tattooing offspring at around 5 wks old. I thought that the ear should be full size first, and now I have a full grown Belgian Hare doe on my hands without tattoo. Restraining her will be like trying to hold on to a deer. I am terrified of injuring her. Unfortunately, I don't have anyone around to show me how, but I do have my husband to help me to hold her. In theory I know what to do from reading online, but doing is a different matter ... so I keep procrastinating.

I already own the clamp or pliers type tattoo kit from tattooing our cattle, but I hear lots of horror stories about using these on the rabbits. They get surprised by the pain and bold forward ... :-o

Would a tattoo pen a wise investment for a novice like myself? Anyone use a topical anesthetic cream?

If you are worried about pain, I'd go with the pen. I've only seen a few rabbits tattooed with one, but the rabbits only flicked their ears in annoyance. Including my big boy who was too large for device used to make a bunny burrito out of him. He had to be held.
I tried it on myself. It hurt less than a commercial tattoo machine. (intended for humans)

Normally, it easiest to wrap the bunny up so that it cannot move. Anyone have a pic of a rabbit wrapped up for tattooing??

Thanks everyone. My husband will have to be my tattoo box, because I don't think I have the skill to build one either and hubby probably doesn't feel like it. At this point I am leaning towards getting a tattoo pen and using topical anesthetic. There are products that body piecing places use ... our local people tattoo artist told me about those.

BC Belgians":hig574fg said:
I was unaware I should be tattooing offspring at around 5 wks old.

Eh? Five weeks? Where did you get that information? You certainly could tattoo at that age, but it isn't necessary. I usually tattoo kits when they go into the growout pens, and their age varies. My tattoos are 5 digits long, so sometimes I just tattoo the first 3 digits (Buck's initial, Doe's initial, rank of kit in litter) and then once the kits grow a bit and I cull for keepers and show stock I add the last 2 digits.

now I have a full grown Belgian Hare doe on my hands without tattoo. Restraining her will be like trying to hold on to a deer.

It is a lot easier when they are little, but you can manage. Maybe you can sacrifice an old T-shirt to use as a tattoo bag. Make sure her eyes are covered, and try to wrap her as snugly as possible. You might want to keep her tattoo short. I'm pretty sure it can even be just one letter or number- hopefully someone will confirm that.

Miss M":hig574fg said:
I've read of people tattooing kits by putting a kit into a sock, and pulling the ear out through a precut hole in the sock.

People?!?!? :eek: You call me people??? *Sniff!*

post161417.html

My updated version for larger kits is the leg of a "stretchy" blue jean. Queenpup got too tall for a pair so she cut the legs off and made shorts. The cutoff leg works great for larger kits. :)

I simply place most rabbits on my lap without restraint and tattoo them as they sit there. Very few need to be "bagged", but it is handy if you have a very sensitive rabbit.

I already own the clamp or pliers type tattoo kit from tattooing our cattle, but I hear lots of horror stories about using these on the rabbits. They get surprised by the pain and bold forward ... :-o

Would a tattoo pen a wise investment for a novice like myself? Anyone use a topical anesthetic cream?

I think your cattle set would be far too large for use on rabbits. :? The set I have for rabbits has letters and numerals that are 5/16".

I much prefer the pen to the clamp set, for several reasons;

1. Versatility. You aren't limited by your set(s) of letters and numerals as with the clamp.
2. Ease of use. No need to reset the numbers before tattooing the next rabbit.
3. Clear, easy to read tattoos. Tattoos grow with the rabbit, and the dots from the clamp style become further apart.
4. If a tattoo needs to be touched up at a later date you can do so. This is not possible with the clamp- and my clamp tattoos varied widely in ink penetration.
5. Safety. Rabbits can tear their ears if they leap away while you have the clamp on the ear. The worst that happened with mine was they would get scratches if they pulled away.

My biggest recommendation with any method would be to use human grade ink. I called a tattoo parlor to find out the best kind, and Kuro Sumi outlining ink was what was recommended.

http://www.amazon.com/Kuro-Sumi-outlini ... B00424NC4G

I also purchased a topical anesthetic spray. I don't often need to use it, but if a rabbit is reactive it seems to help.

http://www.amazon.com/Derma-Numb-Anesth ... anesthetic

You might also want to buy the small tattoo cups for ink. Mine came with a little holder with four holes. I have one cup for ink and the other for the Derma Numb solution.

http://www.amazon.com/Tattoo-Caps-CUPS- ... l+ink+cups

Thank you!!! Now I have lot of info to tackle the job at hand ... and still wish I wouldn't have to do it. :cry_baby: I guess its one of those things you get used to, like docking lambs' tails. I cried the first time I did one of those, too.

Oh, and those tattoo clamps I have are fairly small and this model is commonly used around here for rabbits ("Ketchum 50D"). Like you say, the tattoo "grows" with the animal, and the same happens with calves.

Miss M":3r0czl87 said:
MamaSheepdog":3r0czl87 said:
People?!?!? :eek: You call me people??? *Sniff!*

post161417.html
Okay, okay! So I didn't remember who, and was too lazy to do a search! You want a piece of me? :pillowfight:

Yes!

YES, as a matter of fact I DO! :angry:

En garde, Miss Memory Challenged! :duel:

I come at you with a pillow, and you come back with a sword??? What has this forum come to? :weep:

Alright, if that's the way you want it...

:sabers:

:video: :video: :video: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

You know what?

I'll help. MSD, wait for me! :jedai: :gun: :2guns: :annihilate: :duel: :vader: :jedi: :pillowfight: :sabers:

Bandits Bunny Farm":28x8f64u said:
You know what?

I'll help. MSD, wait for me! :jedai: :gun: :2guns: :annihilate: :duel: :vader: :jedi: :pillowfight: :sabers:
Wha---? :eek:

GAH!! I'm being ganged up on! :eek:verreaction: :nightmare: :runhills: :wr_trample:

3mina":28x8f64u said:
A sleeve off an old button down shirt will work great too, it already has a built in slit.
:lol: Yep, that sounds like it would work quite well!

3mina":2h28xzp5 said:
:2guns: :gun: :duel: :hobbyhors :pokeeye: :vader: :jedi: :driving: :viking:
I got your back Miss M
Let's get 'em, 3mina! :p

smiley-violent028.gif
smiley-violent030.gif
smiley-violent047.gif
smiley-violent080.gif
smiley-violent084.gif

Good heavens! It's war! :eek:

Before one of us gets sent to freezer camp (especially the b-day girl 3Mina!), I call a truce!

:surrender2:

Back