First time for both of us

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ozemba

Reaction score
Hello, my Holland just had her first litter today.

I put the nest box in 6 days ago and she had ignored it up until this morning. When I went to check on her she was furiously haystaching and digging in the box. Checked to make sure she had plenty of hay about every thirty minutes, until I saw her sitting in it pulling fur. I was pretty excited, not going to lie.

Then the next time I checked on her, maybe twenty minutes later, there's one kit on the floor and two in the box. I put him in, he immediately nestled into the fur with the others. I think she may have accidentally kicked him out. Anywho, she's resting outside the box, I've checked the kits and they are all warm and strong. Is there anything I need to do at this point? I'm going to clean the nest box tomorrow probably.

It's supposed to be a low of 45 tonight, since there is just three of them do I need to bring them in? Should I bring her in as well?

Congratulations on your first litter.
Rabbits are well equipped for cold as long as they are protected from wind and rain. As long as she pulled a good amount of fur, I'd leave them all out. But some people sleep better if they've brought a new litter in. If so, just bring in the nest box and take it out to her early since they tend to feed just twice a day, dawn and dusk. We give our just kindled does BOSS and dried nettle, some brambles (raspberry or blackberry canes with leaves, dried this time of year, fresh when available) But all that they need is plenty of fresh water and plenty of whatever you usually feed while they are nursing.
We do pull the nest box once a day for the first week to check the kits, see if any are unfed, clean up if the nest is at all dirty or wet.
Good luck and enjoy them

Congratulations!! :mbounce:

That first litter is always exciting. Hard to keep from checking on them every few minutes.

And it's amazing how quickly the little ones develop fur and start adding weight.

Wishing you, your new Momma and the babies all the best!!

Randy

If you can swing it, you can get video cameras pretty cheap now at best buy. Its so nice to be able to pull up the babies on your phone whenever you want to. Even then, its pretty hard to catch the mom in with the babies. Here is a pic of the doe I have that kindled three weeks ago. They are starting to explore outside the nest now and rare really fun to watch.

Attachments

• 12_08_32.jpg
    12_08_32.jpg
    529.7 KB · Views: 889
Lost one last night, found it up against the side of the nest box this morning, no fur or hay between it and the wall. Oh well.

Told her to be more careful with the two she has left...

Weighed them today, speckles is 1.5, two face is 1.8 oz.

Will post pics tomorrow probably.

I'm sorry you lost one. :( It probably held on too long at feeding time, and got dragged out of the box when mama left.

I would definitely bring the nest box with the other two inside, and I'd probably give them a hot water bottle or something. It's a lot more difficult for them to keep warm when there are only two.

hlkits.jpg

Here they are, two days old.
On the left is 1.9 oz Yingyang (as my mom likes to call it cuz of the color pattern on it's face) and on the right is Speckles at 1.7 oz today.

At first I figured both would be blue/white magpie but it looks like Yingyang is a little darker, maybe blue/fawn?

Five days old, obligatory nest box photo. I think momma bun did pretty good for her first nest.
Question: When cleaning out nest boxes, do you try to keep mom's fur or will she pull more? It's still pretty chilly at night and I've been bringing them in/keeping them in on cold days, but was hoping I could put them back out maybe when their eyes open, but was worried about insulation still since it is just the two of them...

5days.jpg

White on the left, orange on the right. They like to sleep with their heads pointed toward the opening, the faster to get to the milk, I'm sure. They sure can move at this point too, wriggly little things. Popples indeed, I can't imagine what a full nest looks like when you stir them up.

I wouldn't clean the nest for the first week at least (or not at all with only two until they start venturing out), unless it gets really damp or unusually soiled. Then keep the fur and just replace the hay around the actual nest.

x2 I don't clean the box at all. if the doe decides to be a dummy and use the nest as a litter box I will clean it up but return as much of the fur as possible. Other than that I don't bother with it and as long as it isn't super cold the box comes out at 2wks. if it is cold I will put a big handful of extra hay in a corner for them to pile on or snuggle in if they want.

BlueHaven":2x53y1pf said:
If you can swing it, you can get video cameras pretty cheap now at best buy. Its so nice to be able to pull up the babies on your phone whenever you want to. Even then, its pretty hard to catch the mom in with the babies. Here is a pic of the doe I have that kindled three weeks ago. They are starting to explore outside the nest now and rare really fun to watch.

I use an old iPhone 4 that became unreliable for my wife's work. She upgraded to a 5something and the 4 went into the hutch. :)

Latest posts

Back