First Show by Myself

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deer Heart

Reaction score
I went to my first rabbit show ever today. I used the excuse of saving on shipping with my newest 3-hole KW cage to go and sadly had to go entirely by myself (none of my friends or family are interested in rabbits or showing them) it was extremely overwhelming. Suddenly plunging into the deep end of a hobby you are only just barely touching on. I do not regret it though. The nice people more than made up for it.

I met some really nice folks and learned so much about showing and my current breed and other breeds. I met some less than nice folks too, unfortunately and made a lot of stupid newbie errors (like not enough cash!).

One not so nice person snapped at me when I asked a simple question before the show began (that sort of set the mood for me being meek the rest of the show for fear of looking dumb again) later when the shows began, the same gentleman kept rolling his eyes at the judge when they picked another person's rabbit alongside his for a second look. Even turned to someone he didn't come with and kept making whispered remarks insinuating the judge didn't know what he was doing. I was pretty elated when the judge chose the other person's rabbit over his for BoB, you could literally see the ego deflate. Especially when the person showing the other rabbit had wandered off (I think she was showing at other tables at the time) and when she came back was like "Oh? I won?" (hah, karma)

I entered a raffle and won... 2 rabbits....Jeebus :wr_power: :wr_power:

Cue running to the KW cage booth again to get a transporter cage :| Free bunnies = $50 in a transporter cage

One is a blue jersey wooly JR buck which I absolutely adore and the other is an older broken castor mini rex doe which is quite stunning. Odd set to be going home with that is for certain.

I was a bit surprised though and regret a bit. A woman stopped me as I went to leave with my winnings who wanted to show me a buck she thought would have been perfect for the doe I had just won... but at the time I was feeling a bit overwhelmed - suddenly two when I was only shooting for one and a lot was swimming through my head as they were so different and I didn't think I could go both routes as far as breeding projects and since I preferred the wooly for spinning, breeding the rex right then was the last thing on my mind (it didn't help that I'm well aware the market here is so flooded with rex from when I raised a few before, supply way outweighs demand here). I regret it now as that particular lady had been really nice and her rabbits did look great and showed really well. I feel like she really was offering a branch to help me out as I was obviously new to all of this and I dismissed it like a dope! Aw well, there will be more shows and more nice folks like her and the lovely ladies at the raffle booth.

I don't care what animal you are showing, there is lots to do and all kinds of people. Most are really nice and rabbit people so far have been very helpful and nice.

The rude person just sounds like someone you don't want to associate with anyway - too much negativity will spoil what should be an exciting day. I'm glad the rest of the show went so well for you. :)

I go to shows alone as well. At first, it was daunting, being new, being really new, some ways from home.

Now I go to shows alone, but I'm not alone when I get there. I wish I could go to more shows and see the show people more often.

Congrats on the JW and the Mini Rex. If you intend to spin, you will probably find yourself graduating to a larger wooler, as rabbitosis takes hold.

I go alone to just about every show I attend. Trying to get people in this state interested in rabbits enough to travel ridiculous distances is like trying to do a root canal on an alligator. Most "breeders" around here think that travelling 300+ miles one way to a show is insane. Well, it is, but I'm that serious about it.

Was the lady who offered you the breeding with your castor mini rex the same lady who donated it to the raffle? There is a reason that I ask.

BlueHaven":13meawnk said:
I don't care what animal you are showing, there is lots to do and all kinds of people. Most are really nice and rabbit people so far have been very helpful and nice.
Yes! I learned so much in such a short amount of time. I'm already really excited for my next show. I like my little Standard of perfection book, but as a visual learner it's nothing compared to actual shows where judges openly point out what they are looking for and the subtle faults that they are wanting to see improvement in.

AprilW":13meawnk said:
The rude person just sounds like someone you don't want to associate with anyway - too much negativity will spoil what should be an exciting day. I'm glad the rest of the show went so well for you. :)
. Thank you, I can't wait for the next. I almost want to jump right in and show just so I know what exact faults are in my lines that I should be working to remove, but unfortunately I will have to breed my lines for 3 generations first as I'm starting without pedigrees (I'm hoping I'm not breeding my buns to an incorrect standard in the meantime)

skysthelimit":13meawnk said:
I go to shows alone as well. At first, it was daunting, being new, being really new, some ways from home.

Now I go to shows alone, but I'm not alone when I get there. I wish I could go to more shows and see the show people more often.

Congrats on the JW and the Mini Rex. If you intend to spin, you will probably find yourself graduating to a larger wooler, as rabbitosis takes hold.

Rabbitosis is the worst. I really wanted the JW as my intent was to learn to spin on him (I really want angoras one day too). I put tickets on the rex because she came with the most adorable letter from a little girl who kept anxiously checking her bag to see how many tickets she got (her face lit up when someone finally dropped a ticket in and I wanted to bulk it up slightly with about 3, then a gentleman came along who dropped in almost 10 much to my relief, the little girl was so happy and I thought I was off the hook :roll: ). I do however have 2 goat does for sale as I'm getting out of goats to focus entirely on my rabbits and have an interested party wanting to trade me several pedigreed English Angora... this is hard.

I do have one question though about shows; is it inappropriate to show rabbits I did not breed myself? My intent is not to get awards but to determine exactly what I should be looking for when finding a mate. This is specifically about that jersey wooly. I found myself a lot of times throughout the show wishing I had a judge come check out all of my rabbits and letting me know exactly what everyone's fault is and where they need improvement.

You have to be particular about where you get JW from if you want to use them for spinning. JW produce very little wool, and unless it's from a breeder who really breeds for wool, it may not be long enough to spin, as breed standard only requires wool to be 1 1/2 inch, and many JW breeders like them because they are easy care (ie no long wool to groom). The wool tends to have 2 to 3x as much guard hairs as the average Angora.

It's not inappropriate at all to show rabbits you didn't breed. Breeders sell rabbits to others with the intent on being show by the buyer all the time :)

Thank you, I can't wait for the next. I almost want to jump right in and show just so I know what exact faults are in my lines that I should be working to remove, but unfortunately I will have to breed my lines for 3 generations first as I'm starting without pedigrees (I'm hoping I'm not breeding my buns to an incorrect standard in the meantime)
I do have one question though about shows; is it inappropriate to show rabbits I did not breed myself? My intent is not to get awards but to determine exactly what I should be looking for when finding a mate. This is specifically about that jersey wooly. I found myself a lot of times throughout the show wishing I had a judge come check out all of my rabbits and letting me know exactly what everyone's fault is and where they need improvement.

You can show rabbits without a pedigree. You just can't register them, which simply means the rabbit has a 3 generation pedigree and no disqualifications at the time of registration. You could also purchase a copy of the ARBA's Standard of Perfection. I think it costs about $15-20.

Also, I personally prefer to show only rabbits I bred. BUT if the breeder did not specifically tell you not to show the rabbit, there is no rule against it. Actually, showing can do a lot to teach you how to identify strengths and weaknesses in your breed which is helpful for your breeding program and if you decide to purchase more rabbits in the future.

SatinsRule":2ndiuzq2 said:
I go alone to just about every show I attend. Trying to get people in this state interested in rabbits enough to travel ridiculous distances is like trying to do a root canal on an alligator. Most "breeders" around here think that travelling 300+ miles one way to a show is insane. Well, it is, but I'm that serious about it.

Was the lady who offered you the breeding with your castor mini rex the same lady who donated it to the raffle? There is a reason that I ask.
I try not to announce anything to do with my rabbits anywhere which makes it all the more difficult to find anyone interested enough to go with me (Danged ARA's, they are prevalent in my area, let's just put it this way - had a group of um freaking out on facebook not that long ago because they didn't like that someone with a GORGEOUS llama, chose not to shear it. The ARA's felt that leaving the wool on was cruel, even if the animal was clearly not in any distress over it and wasn't dirty or matted)

She was not, the rex belonged to a family who was getting out of rex's entirely and switching to the havana breed.

skysthelimit":2ndiuzq2 said:
You have to be particular about where you get JW from if you want to use them for spinning. JW produce very little wool, and unless it's from a breeder who really breeds for wool, it may not be long enough to spin, as breed standard only requires wool to be 1 1/2 inch, and many JW breeders like them because they are easy care (ie no long wool to groom). The wool tends to have 2 to 3x as much guard hairs as the average Angora.

It's not inappropriate at all to show rabbits you didn't breed. Breeders sell rabbits to others with the intent on being show by the buyer all the time :)
This little guy surprised me. I went to groom him because he clearly needed it (had wool pills all over) and after 30 min I had a second bunny in just his fur. He isn't done but he needed a break and has clearly perked right up (had been sort of quiet and spacey since I got him home, now he's sort of acting hyper and bouncy in his cage). I think it's because I got almost all of the matts out around his butt/tail. TBH, I think he has short guard hairs and that is why they placed him up for auction. He was also very clearly in molt as I was getting very nice silky clumps from plucking him. But it all comes together surprisingly well too. Rubbing it off my clothes with the rubber brush resulted in some really long and surprisingly sturdy strands of "yarn". I'm very tempted to give it a try once I finish grooming him (just the other back leg and butt to go and another round of plucking since I didn't realize the majority was loose till I reached his butt and realized one of his matts wasn't even attached to him. :roll: At that point, you could clearly see a "halo" between attached hairs and loose hairs.

AprilW":2ndiuzq2 said:
You can show rabbits without a pedigree. You just can't register them, which simply means the rabbit has a 3 generation pedigree and no disqualifications at the time of registration. You could also purchase a copy of the ARBA's Standard of Perfection. I think it costs about $15-20.

Also, I personally prefer to show only rabbits I bred. BUT if the breeder did not specifically tell you not to show the rabbit, there is no rule against it. Actually, showing can do a lot to teach you how to identify strengths and weaknesses in your breed which is helpful for your breeding program and if you decide to purchase more rabbits in the future.

I already have the book but I'm a very visual learner so unfortunately it hasn't been hugely useful to me beyond the numbers (since I have NZW, knowing my weights is extremely important). I did NOT know you could show an unregistered animal. I will have to invest in a tattoo kit then before the next show rolls around (I have not yet started tattooing my buns as I really was very much only starting out) I'm very likely only going to take a buck and a doe to my first show. With this new knowledge though, I wont be showing the JW (as he clearly has a commercial type coat and not a show type, based on my book).

And yes, exactly. I really would like to know if I'm accomplishing what I want. Nothing worse than unknowingly breeding for poor shoulders/loin/head/fur/etcetc for months and months and possibly years and THEN getting a judge to have a peek and seeing nothing but faults that would take even longer to get out than they did to get in. Start with a good foundation of knowing what I have to work with and where I need to go. I do know my rabbits all pose almost naturally, but they do need worked/handled more now that I know they can be shown (they are agreeable and friendly but temperamental - they hate having their claws and weight done >> One in particular - looking at you Mellow Yellow) I'm a bit concerned they may be a bit on the small side now though. The ones at the show looked bigger by quite a bit (though only a hand full were being shown, literally 4, by youths and not open) I will need to weigh mine again, they were exactly right on track before when I was monitoring for breeding weight and growth but now I'm not so sure. <br /><br /> __________ Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:16 pm __________ <br /><br /> Took pictures of the buck I won after grooming him (and the lump of wool that came off him)

I also went ahead and ordered a tattoo pen so I can do the ears ASAP that way everything should look good by the time the next show rolls around. I'm not sure how to prepare my NZW really. I already decided I'll be showing Cracker Jack (Buck) and Mountain Dew (doe) and will be leaving my third cage hole empty so I don't have to rush and buy a new carrier in an emergency again. :roll: (my luck if I filled it, that'd be the one time any NZ bucks would be for sale.)

But those two are the friendliest in my rabbitry, both have great snappy flyback, pose very well, have nice meaty builds and seem to at the very least fit the standard as it is written as best as I can decipher it.

If anyone is going to be in Florida shows this year, look out for a pair of NZW tattooed "CKR JK" and "MTN DW" respectively. :lol:

Attachments

• mug.jpg
    mug.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 2,006
  • mugface.jpg
    mugface.jpg
    221 KB · Views: 2,006
  • mugwool.jpg
    mugwool.jpg
    223.4 KB · Views: 2,006
Sali":2i5cfmqw said:
I try not to announce anything to do with my rabbits anywhere which makes it all the more difficult to find anyone interested enough to go with me (Danged ARA's, they are prevalent in my area, let's just put it this way - had a group of um freaking out on facebook not that long ago because they didn't like that someone with a GORGEOUS llama, chose not to shear it. The ARA's felt that leaving the wool on was cruel, even if the animal was clearly not in any distress over it and wasn't dirty or matted)

She was not, the rex belonged to a family who was getting out of rex's entirely and switching to the havana breed.

Understood. I generally do not bring anyone to my rabbitry as a precaution against vandalism more than anything else. Call me paranoid, but I feel I've put way too much into what I have to just let it go to the wayside at the hands and will of someone to whom it means nothing.

The reason I asked about the rabbit you won is because you mentioned it was a broken castor. Castor can be a very challenging, but difficult and frustrating variety to raise. Be mindful of what you're crossing it with, as well as what is in its past.

SatinsRule":c3wsxrph said:
Understood. I generally do not bring anyone to my rabbitry as a precaution against vandalism more than anything else. Call me paranoid, but I feel I've put way too much into what I have to just let it go to the wayside at the hands and will of someone to whom it means nothing.

The reason I asked about the rabbit you won is because you mentioned it was a broken castor. Castor can be a very challenging, but difficult and frustrating variety to raise. Be mindful of what you're crossing it with, as well as what is in its past.

Exactly. The only reason to want to even get into a rabbitry is generally not good reasons (ARA/desire to steal/"making sure you aren't a BYB" - almost all rabbit breeders ARE - duh :roll:) Not only that, but the only animal I'd ever really think it's important to see where they came from is a dog. A poorly bred, poorly managed dog could be an actual DANGER to the person purchasing it, their family, or their stock depending on what kind of dog and for what purpose they are being purchased (for eg. you don't want a LGD where you go to check it out and the breeder doesn't own any livestock and they were all raised in the persons living room). A dog who's unstable could KILL someone or stock. A rabbit?... Uh... :roll: Too unfriendly for what the new owners are going for and you just go ahead and get stew, same for goats/cows/chickens/etc etc. Not so simple with a partner animal like the dog, for whom you rely on as your back-up. Not only that but many practices and standards for rabbits which are perfectly acceptable are not at all when it comes to dogs (such as a large number of breeders, animals in cages, animals "stacked" on top of each other, wire floors, etc etc) rabbits are NOT dogs and dogs are exactly where this desire to inspect the home comes from (it is not a guarantee either, we have people in this county who actually sell dogs from terrible conditions but take them to secondary "homes" through which they meet with the prospective buyers, scuzzy but not illegal, when the buyers then have issues they try to go back only to find no one even actually lives there). What prospective animal buyers really need to do is make sure they get something in writing, educate themselves on what their particular animal of choice should look like if it is healthy and socialized to humans at all, and PAY ATTENTION TO ANY GUT FEELINGS (I can't stress that enough). I can't even begin to tell you how many of those buyers I previously mentioned that got duped by a fake house, come to find out saw very clear signs their animals were sick (white gums, puppies acting disoriented, diarrhea on the floor, puppies not approaching them) or had a bad feeling LONG BEFORE EVEN GETTING IN THEIR CAR. Yet still went all the way and purchased the animal. I simply can't understand why.

:evil: But yes, end rant on that.

As for the Minirex, I'm still not particularly interested in doing rexs again. I especially feel bad because my non producers get made into meat and pelts and so don't feel like I can throw myself into this in good conscience because of the girl who used to own the rex (If I decided to get into them and purchase a rex buck and breed this rabbit, once she got old enough I'd do what I do to all my old breeders - and she's already "up there" (she's 3 years old). She's basically a retired bunny. If she were in my herd first, she'd probably already be culled by now. Honestly, if I bred her at this point, It'd just be for unusual pet quality mutts.

I actually tried to find the man I saw bidding on her too as I was just going to give her away to him. :/ But dude disappeared, I couldn't find him anywhere.

Latest posts

Back