First Litter

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irishmick

Reaction score
I just had my first litter this morning, well my bunny Natalie did!

Is there any significance to the color of their skin? I'll get some better pictures tonight. I just didn't have much time this morning before having to run to work.

Attachments

• 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    636.5 KB · Views: 583
:congratulations:

What kind of bunny is Natalie?

The pure pink ones will be either REW or BEW (red eyed white or blue eyed white), the one with the spots on the nose is a "broken"- the body will be white, and the spots will be another color- looks like black- and it is very lightly marked so it is considered a "Charlie marked" broken. The dark ones will have darker fur- they look like they could be agouti marked and will have the color and pattern of a wild rabbit.

Natalie and Mike are both broken new zealand (I was told when I bought them). Mike has quite a bit of color, Natalie very little. A spot or two on her back and a little on her nose. I'll try to get pics of them up tonight as well ;o)
Thanks!

Since they are both broken, it is likely that the little charlie is a true Charlie- meaning it got two copies of the broken gene. If so, if you keep and breed that kit to a solid colored rabbit, you will get all brokens. You may get some that are solid white, but the REW is just hiding the true color (like a white sheet thrown over a chair- the chair looks white, but it is a different color underneath the sheet), so those REW's will be carrying at least one copy of the broken gene too. :)

:bouncy: Congratulations!

When I get pink ones, the fur grows out white. When they're newborn, the reds and whites look very much alike. The reds have a slightly muddy hue to the pinkness.

Dark skin grows out to dark fur. In my rabbits, it's usually agouti -- either chestnut, like a wild rabbit, or chinchilla (which is like chestnut, except with no red and brown tones, just shades of grey).

I do occasionally have one that is actually just black, or deep grey, with no ticking you see in an agouti.

I look forward to seeing the parents! :D

I forgot I had a couple of mediocre pictures in my email.

So what say the experts? Truely NZ or are the dark ears on Natalie an indication of a little californian thrown in? ;)

Attachments

• 20121028_173638.jpg
    20121028_173638.jpg
    191.5 KB · Views: 563
  • 20121028_174230.jpg
    20121028_174230.jpg
    231.9 KB · Views: 563
Well, I am not an expert, so I'll leave that for someone else. Just wanted to say...

:congratulations:

Beautiful popples!

Is he a broken red, or a broken harlequin? It looks like there are darker patches on the ears and around the eyes.

Either way, cute popples, and congrats!

If harlequin's are tri-colored then yes he is. I really just know enough to keep them alive, well so far.

The colors and breeds are over my head. If I was asked to pick out which bunny is a lop or a lionhead I "might" pass. lol

If anyone is able to hazard a guess I'd appreciate it. They are just a meat breed, so in the end it really doesn't matter. It just makes it interesting. I can say though that it was like christmas morning looking in the nest box to see what colors/quantity there were. I don't know if that's a good thing or not, but it sure was/is fun ;o)

I don't think either is a broken red New Zealand... I don't think she's red either, now that I've looked closer. A tri is a broken harlequin. You can also get solid harlequin in colour.

He's a tri-colour, or broken harlequin(am pretty sure those two are interchangable), and he was crossbred at some point to get that colour in. My guess is she's some kind of sandy? I haven't really encountered that colour much, myself. But I don't think she's red.

Your adult rabbits could carry the 'cali' markings, which is actually called the himalayan gene, but it would not be making their ears and nose dark, that is all done by the broken gene. Think of a Californian or himalayan marked rabbit as a pointed red eye white, they will have no colour anywhere except on the points and will have red eyes.

I think Natalie is an agouti, sometimes called a chestnut. And agree that Mike is a broken harlequin also known as tri-colored

The dark kits look like they will be chestnuts rather than harlequin.

The kit with colored ears, nose and a few spots will also likely be broken chestnut like mom

The completely white kits could be REW, if their eyes turn out to be red. If they have a dark eye then they are 'charlies' as MamaSheepdog mentioned and have two copies of the broken gene, any white kits that have even a tiny spot of colour will also be 'charlies'

Thank you everyone. I'll take a closer look at them tonight while reading through this thread ;o) and I'll post a pic or two once they've grown some fur and opened their eyes.

__________ Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:20 pm __________

So after taking a closer look than I had time for this morning there are the 2 that are agouti/chestnut, the 1 that has dark ears and mouth, 1 that has 3-4 dots on his back, and 3 that look pure white. I'll toss a picture up when their fur is more definitive.
Thanks again everyone!<br /><br />__________ Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:22 am __________<br /><br />Here are the pics of my rabbits at 2 weeks. The single white rabbit just has the tips of its ears colored so I'm thinking as you all said is a charlie. The dirty back is simply because one of its litter mates went to the bathroom on him/her.

The 2 darker rabbits, their fur seems softer. The skin also feels looser for lack of a better term. Any significance to that?

Thanks again everyone!

Attachments

• 20121230_121904.jpg
    20121230_121904.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 412
  • 20121230_121940.jpg
    20121230_121940.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 412
  • 20121230_122006.jpg
    20121230_122006.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 412
The mostly white could be a charlie or shaded if the eyes are dark or himalayan marked if he has red eyes.

It looks like you have a black broken and 3 chestnut or a chestnut and 3 fawns as well as the 2 solid chestnut.

And I don't know why they have loose skin, I can see in the picture they are kind of like shar pei dogs with their wrinkles, very cute!

Back