First Litter Pics - Popple Colors (1 Week Update!)

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Susie570

Reaction score
Ok, here are the first (mostly fuzzy) pictures from SRG5 (Scarlett-River, July 2015)
She gave me 7, one DOA. The rest of the kits look healthy and active on their second day :)

Kit 1 - Broken Black? SR1-2.jpg

Kit 2 - I think this one MIGHT be a very light broken blue, like daddy!
SR2-2a.jpg
SR2-2b.jpg

Kit 3- Harli?
SR3-2a.jpg
SR3-2b.jpg

-- Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:39 am --

Kit 4 - Broken Black?
SR4-2.jpg

Kit 5 - This one's a bit of a mystery for me... Chestnut maybe? Dark on top, light on bottom?
SR5-2a.jpg
SR5-2b.jpg

And Kit 6 - Harli?
SR6-2.jpg

Cute kits!

Maybe it's just my old eyes, but I have been fooled by colors in kits so young. I wait at least a week now before I try to make any determinations. Maybe someone else will do better.

The top one looks vienna marked or maybe dutch? It doesn't look like a broken to me.

Not sure on the second one.

Yep harlequin

Broken Black or possibly broken chestnut can't see the inside of the ears well.

Chestnut

harlequin

Those are my guesses. Maybe someone with more experience will confirm.

alforddm":19ow5pen said:
The top one looks vienna marked or maybe dutch? It doesn't look like a broken to me.

Well, THAT makes sense!! Momma is a Dutch. I didn't think I could get a Dutch marked kit unless both sides had Dutch though?
Well, should be a cute kit. :) Nice bold markings!

alforddm":19ow5pen said:
Not sure on the second one.

Yep harlequin

Broken Black or possibly broken chestnut can't see the inside of the ears well.

Chestnut

harlequin

Those are my guesses. Maybe someone with more experience will confirm.

Thanks! Interesting... I didn't get a single chestnut from the last litter, same two rabbits. Well, it's always fun to see how colors progress. :)

Chrissie is pulling fur!! I just checked on them. She had about half of it in the nestbox and half of it in the floor of the cage. I tucked it all into the nestbox. No popples yet, but now I figure she's going to have them tonight. I hope she has the sense to have them in the nestbox! At least her instincts are kicking in. :)

Sprinkles hasn't pulled any fur yet, but she looks ready to explode. :p

-- Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:32 pm --

Ok, here are better pictures of the two 'mystery' colors from River's litter.

First we have, what I believe may be a broken black. It MIGHT be dutch marked (mom is a dutch) but I'm not sure the white ring goes all the way around the neck. Insides of ears are black. White stripe on head, white nose, white feet, It's self, whatever it is!

sr1-3a.jpg
SR1-3b.jpg
SR1-3c.jpg

Next we have... something. Inside ears and belly are light. Broken blue agouti?? Guesses?
SR2-3.jpg

-- Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:52 am --

7 - Week Photo Shoot Update!! My how they change in just a week!! How did you do with your guesses for newborn colors? :)

SR1 - DUTCH marked black! It has a full white collar and everything. I think this is a beautiful little kit. What if it turns out lop-eared!! Wouldn't that be adorable! :)

SR1 - 7a.jpg

SR1 - 7b.jpg

SR1 - 7c.jpg

SR1 - 7d.jpg

-- Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:55 am --

SR2 - Best guess NOW is that this is a BLUE TORT!

SR2 - 7a.jpg

SR2 - 7b.jpg

SR3 - I believe this is a BLUE Harli!

SR3 - 7a.jpg

SR3 - 7b.jpg

SR3 - 7c.jpg

-- Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:58 am --

SR4 - Broken Black

SR4 - 7a.jpg

SR4 - 7b.jpg

SR5 - I'm not a big fan of solid chestnuts, but I have to admit this is a GORGEOUS little kit. It's so fat and healthy looking and the rich color! (of course, maybe I'm biased) ;)

SR5 - 7a.jpg

SR5 - 7b.jpg

SR5 - 7c.jpg <br /><br /> -- Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:00 am -- <br /><br /> And finally - SR6 - I really like the bold harli markings on this kit!! I didn't get any boldly marked harli kits from the last litter, so I was afraid I couldn't get any from this pair. This kit might be nice! I think it's a black harli.

SR6 - 7a.jpg

SR6 - 7b.jpg

SR6 - 7c.jpg

HOWsMom":z8v8g0ed said:
They are so utterly insanely adorable <3

Thank you :) and this litter seems really fat and healthy and satisfied. They don't jump around (much) when I pick them up, they nuzzle and squeak a bit and just seem like happy, sleepy kits. lol

Very nice kits. Love the new pictures.

I am not a huge fan of chestnut buns either, but that color is gorgeous.

Marinea":1hoi3b4u said:
Very nice kits. Love the new pictures.

I am not a huge fan of chestnut buns either, but that color is gorgeous.

It's so dark, I'm wondering if it's not GTS... either way it's a pretty kit. Thanks :D

Harli markings tend to be "crisper" in agouti based rabbits rather than torted harlis which are self based. They tend to be best in wideband agouti ones :)

I agree that kit might be a very VERY light /low Rufus blue tort as I don't see any agouti markings like a lighter belly or lighter trimmings around the eyes, ears and nose

Definitely not a steel - the belly would be grey and not white and it's also not genetically possible with the parents

Dood":n4ycfy84 said:
Harli markings tend to be "crisper" in agouti based rabbits rather than torted harlis which are self based. They tend to be best in wideband agouti ones :)

I agree that kit might be a very VERY light /low Rufus blue tort as I don't see any agouti markings like a lighter belly or lighter trimmings around the eyes, ears and nose

Definitely not a steel - the belly would be grey and not white and it's also not genetically possible with the parents

Great! Thank you, Dood :)

So, it looks like I actually probably had a torted harlequin and just a very lightly marked harlequin in the LAST litter. I'm glad these have nicer markings because by the time the other kits had grown up, you could barely even tell they were harli marked.

Here are pictures of the harli kits from the last litter, at the same age:

Lightly marked harli
Kit4a - 7.jpg

Same kit at 8 weeks
Butterscotch 8wks.jpg

Torted harli? On the other hand, it looks like they both have agouti marks... so not torted then.
Oh well, hopefully the kits from the current litter will have sharper markings when they get older :)
Kit9 - 7.jpg

Same kit at 8 weeks
Caramel 8wks.jpg

Becca":3omkuwaw said:
OMG! They are soooo adorable!!! I can not wait till I can start breeding my buns! That's all the way in Oct though. :roll:

I like watching how much they change from the time they're born, and comparing them with the kits from the last litter (same pairing).

I'm actually really surprised at the colors because I figured, once you breed two rabbits together, you pretty much know what they're going to produce. Nope! lol

Back