First babies

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

29va

Reaction score
So my cali/flemish meat mutts are having their first kits.they are 8 months old now. One doe had 5 the other had 4 and the 3rd should have hers tonight. These small litters for this mix breed? Could be because it's their first?

My flemish crosses have 6/8 ...could be because it's a first..How many covers did you get? Some don't think it matters but for me if I get three covers I get larger litters. :)

"Cover" means the number of breedings, how many times the buck covered the doe.

As to your original question, I don't count anything related to a first litter as indicative of the doe- not litter size, having the kits on wire versus in the box, how the doe is as a mother, nothing. I would give both another chance, and then you can make some decisions.

Ok thanks! Yes I got 3 coverings on each doe. Was just curious but hope for better litters next time!

It could be a first litter thing but my first time does have 8 or more kits in their first (and subsequent) litters

Small litters can also be due to fat deposits in the abdomen interfering with the ovaries releasing eggs and properly entering the fillopian tubes and I try breeding my does around 5 months old to prevent fat building up

Back