Fermented feed for rabbits?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sumatra

Reaction score
I've been feeding my chickens with fermented grains and layer for a while now. And after seeing an article on adding rabbit pellets to the mix, I was wondering how rabbits would go for fermented feeds.

Unfortunately there is no conclusive answer about this online, so I decided to ask here. It would be just alfalfa/hay pellets soaked in water, with some unpasteurized apple cider vinegar as a starter, and set for 18-72 hours.

Also it seems(I'm pretty new to rabbits, so bear with me) that since rabbits are sensitive to higher levels of bad bacteria in their system, the probiotics in this mash would actually be beneficial?

This is a good question - rabbits can eat alfalfa, and OACV with the mother in it is good for rabbits, and fermenting increases the nutrition value of food, so... logic says it should be good. Hopefully someone with some experience will be on here with some anecdotal evidence for you. If you can't get feedback, you could always try a very small amount with just one rabbit and test it out - as with everything in rabbit feed, we have to start small so that they don't have sudden changes in their gut, which they are sensitive to.

Oh! Also, welcome to RT!

I can see where the flavor might not be to their liking, depending on the fermented item.

Have you considered offering some sprouted grains? You may already know, but sprouting grains reduces the starch and anti nutrients, and boosts protein and digestive enzymes, as well as vitamin levels. Not the same benefits of fermenting, but still something worth looking at if you're looking to boost healthy benefits of feed.

I read that sprouted barley is over 20% protein and as with all sprouted grains, the nutrition values are boosted with the sprouting. I'm not referring to fodder, just the sprouting which is much quicker, typically 24-36 hours. Sprouted wheat is also good, and flax seeds don't sprout, but soaking them boosts their value as well. Of course, some of the benefits end up being lost if we then cook the grains (like in breads), but if sprouted and then eaten fresh it seems a worthwhile thing to work into a feed regimen. I'm toying with the idea to combine with pellets, but am just in the pondering stage. :D

Obviously you're feeding alfalfa, which if I remember is 17% protein? So you wouldn't want to overdo the protein, just something to keep in mind.

Comet007":2yo23xwd said:
I can see where the flavor might not be to their liking, depending on the fermented item.

Have you considered offering some sprouted grains? You may already know, but sprouting grains reduces the starch and anti nutrients, and boosts protein and digestive enzymes, as well as vitamin levels. Not the same benefits of fermenting, but still something worth looking at if you're looking to boost healthy benefits of feed.

I read that sprouted barley is over 20% protein and as with all sprouted grains, the nutrition values are boosted with the sprouting. I'm not referring to fodder, just the sprouting which is much quicker, typically 24-36 hours. Sprouted wheat is also good, and flax seeds don't sprout, but soaking them boosts their value as well. Of course, some of the benefits end up being lost if we then cook the grains (like in breads), but if sprouted and then eaten fresh it seems a worthwhile thing to work into a feed regimen. I'm toying with the idea to combine with pellets, but am just in the pondering stage. :D

Obviously you're feeding alfalfa, which if I remember is 17% protein? So you wouldn't want to overdo the protein, just something to keep in mind.

it is my understanding, --- that while the protein values increase with sprouting , - the energy [calories] decrease, so-- the over all health my be better, but feed conversion may suffer. if adjustments are not made to the ration to increase energy, when feeding sprouted grains.

michaels4gardens":dynnw0wb said:
Comet007":dynnw0wb said:

it is my understanding, --- that while the protein values increase with sprouting , - the energy [calories] decrease, so-- the over all health my be better, but feed conversion may suffer. if adjustments are not made to the ration to increase energy, when feeding sprouted grains.

True, but it's fairly low - I believe roughly a 15% decrease in calories because of the starch being removed, so lower carbohydrates. This is offset by about a 30% increase in protein (varies a bit by grain I think) and also an increase in other vitamins/nutrients. If someone wants to boost protein and nutrients it would be a good way to go, so I was just throwing it out there. I do think that the boost in calcium is something to consider as well - maybe more important than the concern about lowering calories.

I hope this is useful to the OP, or I've just derailed the thread! If so, my apologies! :oops:

Hello Sumatra,

Not sure if this will help, but I'm currently feeding my lactating does a mixture of sprouts (wheat, peas, corn), sunflower seeds and fermented soybean meal. This goes to make up about 15% of the total diet (apart from the above soy/sprout mixture, the total diet contains greens and alfalfa hay).

The rabbits took about a week to start to like the ferment taste; now they dance around my legs. All they ever leave behind are a few sunflower seeds. I don't think they like anything too mushy, so I 'wring' the fermented soy meal out a little before tossing it through the sprouts (with some seaweed meal sprinkled through for minerals). The ratio is something like 2 tablespoons of fermented soy to every cupful of sprouts, and this makes up about 15% of the overall diet.

When my peas and other legumes get going, I'll slowly drop the soy. For instance I'm growing alfalfa in a longish row (about 50 feet's worth). Unfortunately that's slow to get off the ground, as it's coming into winter here.

My next experiment on the ferment front will be with making small scale silage in plastic bags squashed down in buckets. For ingredients I'll mow up some young tender grass and herbiage, and add legumes grown in the fallow chicken pen. Of course, the bunnies might take one look at silage and head for the hills. However I can't help thinking they would have turned their noses up at fermented soy meal if they were going to dislike the pickly taste/smell (I find it very attractive myself).

As well, I'm really curious whether weaner rabbits can avoid coccidiosis by eating fermented foods -- it certainly works with chicks. Not sure if anyone knows, but they do seem to say ACV helps, so why not pickled grass? I can only see how that goes... And watch my husbandry.

Sorry I can't give you any hard advice, as I'm just starting out on the journey with rabbits, but if it helps, I'll post results as my silage gets going.

Best wishes,
Jen

Wow, that is quite a set up - so much to think about and to maintain for a system like that! I hope that you will post your findings and results here on RT, as I think there are many (probably lurkers too) who would be interested.

personally, I don't think it's a good idea. Fermenting creates a lot of gas. Gas and bunnies aren't a good mix.

I have seen wild rabbits eat silage along side of cows, -- so-- if you can get them to eat it, [as a part of the diet] they may do well. I would just make sure they have all their feed values met while experimenting. [like feeding a "complete rabbit pellet" while experimenting]

I have tried it, and-- mine did not like it much-- so-- lost weight.
I've been feeding my chickens with fermented grains, but when I started with my sheep, they didn't like it at all. I had to Take it away and give them fresh probably seven or eight times before they ate it. Since my sheep are in a pasture, they don't starve if I don't give them food or take away the fermented food they didn't like. I want to try it with my rabbits, but if they don't eat it, I would have to put other food in for them. I do feed them the gray mix in the unfermented State. They don't necessarily love it either but on these cold days I noticed they're eating it much better.

I have tried it, and-- mine did not like it much-- so-- lost weight.
I've been feeding my chickens with fermented grains, but when I started with my sheep, they didn't like it at all. I had to Take it away and give them fresh probably seven or eight times before they ate it. Since my sheep are in a pasture, they don't starve if I don't give them food or take away the fermented food they didn't like. I want to try it with my rabbits, but if they don't eat it, I would have to put other food in for them. I do feed them the gray mix in the unfermented State. They don't necessarily love it either but on these cold days I noticed they're eating it much better.

maybe give fee choice grass hay at the time?

In winter , when garden goodies aren't available, I add spouted oats mixed with a little chopped cabbage and sweet potatoes. I bulk feed in colony settings.so they always have water, pellets and hay in the shelters. Other things are fed in their yard. I find different rabbits have different tastes. Every group is different. The oldest group is cleaning up every kernel while those in the grow out pen picked out all the veg and left oats behind. Sometimes I'll plant some soaked oats in trays for a green grass treat when the ground is snow covered. But mostly winter greens are tree trimmings. They especially love white pine and swamp spruce and strip every bit of green. Mulberry, maple, and apple get bark peeled.

Hello Sumatra,

Not sure if this will help, but I'm currently feeding my lactating does a mixture of sprouts (wheat, peas, corn), sunflower seeds and fermented soybean meal. This goes to make up about 15% of the total diet (apart from the above soy/sprout mixture, the total diet contains greens and alfalfa hay).

The rabbits took about a week to start to like the ferment taste; now they dance around my legs. All they ever leave behind are a few sunflower seeds. I don't think they like anything too mushy, so I 'wring' the fermented soy meal out a little before tossing it through the sprouts (with some seaweed meal sprinkled through for minerals). The ratio is something like 2 tablespoons of fermented soy to every cupful of sprouts, and this makes up about 15% of the overall diet.

When my peas and other legumes get going, I'll slowly drop the soy. For instance I'm growing alfalfa in a longish row (about 50 feet's worth). Unfortunately that's slow to get off the ground, as it's coming into winter here.

My next experiment on the ferment front will be with making small scale silage in plastic bags squashed down in buckets. For ingredients I'll mow up some young tender grass and herbiage, and add legumes grown in the fallow chicken pen. Of course, the bunnies might take one look at silage and head for the hills. However I can't help thinking they would have turned their noses up at fermented soy meal if they were going to dislike the pickly taste/smell (I find it very attractive myself).

As well, I'm really curious whether weaner rabbits can avoid coccidiosis by eating fermented foods -- it certainly works with chicks. Not sure if anyone knows, but they do seem to say ACV helps, so why not pickled grass? I can only see how that goes... And watch my husbandry.

Sorry I can't give you any hard advice, as I'm just starting out on the journey with rabbits, but if it helps, I'll post results as my silage gets going.

Best wishes,
Jen
How do you ferment the soy meal?

Latest posts

Back