Fawn colored mini rex newborn, what color? Update w/Pictures

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LauraNJ

Reaction score
Sarah our REW had 10 kits yesterday. 1 still born. Out of the 9 kits there is one that is solid fawn colored, think of a deer, that is the color.

Sarah is mainly chocolate/lilac lines on her sire's side and her Mom is a black with blues and blacks behind her.

Sarah was bred to a broken caster buck who is all casters and blacks behind him. He has produced casters, brk casters, blacks, black otters and a tort. No dilutes in 4 generations on his pedigree.

So what would a solid fawn colored new born kit be? I tried searching but kept changing my mind when looking at pictures.

I'd really need a pi ture, but with that tort you could have a wide band castor, really light red.

one day old and coloured fawn?

could be Amber? Lilac? Chocolate?

Not red since that would be a pink kit at birth.

I took pictures last night and they are too dark. I was in awe at Sarah having 9, thought I had 7.

This is a repeat breeding, last breeding she had casters that started out pinkish gray.

My tort from another doe started out pink with gray blotches. I love the suspense with the colors. I think it makes it fun. I'll try to get better pictures so all of you can see the color. I was really surprised last night at the skin color.

Currently deciding if I should pull some since a few of Sarahs are small and skinny looking. They have big ears, normal backend and heads look normal to me so I don't think they are peanuts just runts.

Her litter starts out with large kits and progressively get smaller. I'm concerned that the smaller ones aren't going ot be competitive enough for nursing so I may have to flip her and give them an extra feeding today.<br /><br />__________ Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:28 pm __________<br /><br />A picture with some in the litter.

image.php

Just the fawn colored one

image.php

image.php

The ears, around eyes all appear to be the same color. These kits are 3 days old in the picture. What color do you think the fawn colored one is?

It doesn't look orange or dilute fawn/lynx) to me.
I think it's chocolate based by its rich beige color.
Did you get any chocs in the litters or all black based?

Dood, is there a name for a chocolate agouti non-extension?

Here is a dilute, blue based.

296144_10151615489689528_1903386273_n.jpg

I don't think it is a tort, it has no shading. My other minirex had a tort and it was a slightly brighter orange color and then had prominent shading, even when really young the skin was gray colored where the shading was.

Your kit is definately more of a creamy color, thanks for the comparison photo, I like the white stripe up its nose. Very cute!

I cannot find a name for chocolate fawns but the dilute/blues are called "Cream"

The doe doesn't have non-extension colours in their bloodline, the buck must have one to father a tort.

Since it can be difficult to tell castor (chestnut) from amber(chocolate agouti) I am leaning towards the kit being amber/chocolate agouti or the doe also carries non extension and its a fawn.

Once the kits eyes open and if they are a light colour then it is chocolate.

These are bad pictures of Sarah and Argyles last litter. I have been calling them poorly colored casters or are they actually torts?

The light color/shading is actually a darker gray, the sun and the flash washed color out of the picture. My other doe that had a tort has a brilliant orange coat with gray shading.
Solid:
image.php

Poorly posed brkn caster or is it a tort?
image.php

That's what I was trying to say, not red but a more red castor, without the black band they will look lighter.
I can't see the Picts, but my amber looked purple when it was born.

Interesting.

Would a repeat breeding give wide bands if it didn't the first time?

The kit in question is the same color on its tummy if I am remembering correctly. I thought my other castors had a lighter tummy. Would the wideband carry the color throughout the whole rabbit?

Top one is a poor castor, bottom one looks more chocolatey...(so amber).

when I had kits of similar colouring that's what I was told anyways.

I've had amber that looked more reddish/brown and some that almost looked castor. Then of course I had lousy castors as well with some really nice ones on occasion.

i'd watch it grow and probably call it an amber. same with the broken one. Looks like it will grow up either a poor red (doubtful) or a reddish chocolate agouti (amber).

Now I see the picts. The baby could be n amber, the othe to are definitely castors, which are often gray on the sides until the reach their Jr prime.

I didn't know the gray would get darker. The first kit is really washed out by the light. In person it looks like a wild bunny and then the gray shading.

Castor isn't my favorite color but it is the buck that I have to work with right now. His type is really nice and his color (broken castor)is nice, I am just not a huge fan of solid castor.

I am really hoping the kit is something other than castor.

Castor is the original color I started with, but they are hard to get right on a Rex. In minis it is a much easier color to work with. But it should never be bred to tort animals, not if you are trying to get a good one. The graying is normal, and in time goes away, it's the color bands uneven growth, castor bands sometimes appear in the wrong order in a growing coat. You just have to grow out agoutis longer than other varieties.

Latest posts

Back