Favorite reasons for keeping rabbits?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just curious why other people raise rabbits, and continue raising them for years and years. I am really enjoying it, much more than chickens (which I still have, and don't plan on getting rid of them, but if I have a few minutes to just sit and watch something, I now choose the rabbits over the chickens :lol: ). Not sure why though... can't really explain it at this point.

I just love them! Was never going to have this many, but I couldn't stop myself :lol: :lol:

I started out with Lionheads because they weren't common here. Everyone who comes to purchase is just amazed by their manes and personalities. Most had never seen one before.
My favorite past time is to groom them and watch the binkies afterwards.

Then, RT is to blame for my meat rabbits. I thought, 2 does and 1 buck would work. It did. And did. And did...
My favorite reason for keeping these (other than delicious) is watching the grows outs in the large pen playing.

I still watch my lil dinosaurs (chickens), but I too finding myself just watching the rabbit antics.

jeannie":yih79nyu said:
I just love them! Was never going to have this many, but I couldn't stop myself :lol: :lol:

I started out with Lionheads because they weren't common here. Everyone who comes to purchase is just amazed by their manes and personalities. Most had never seen one before.
My favorite past time is to groom them and watch the binkies afterwards.

Then, RT is to blame for my meat rabbits. I thought, 2 does and 1 buck would work. It did. And did. And did...
My favorite reason for keeping these (other than delicious) is watching the grows outs in the large pen playing.

I still watch my lil dinosaurs (chickens), but I too finding myself just watching the rabbit antics.

OK, binkies... I have seen it a time or two but still haven't figured out what it means :oops:

Binkies... when they jump in the air and do those gleeful little side kicks, or suddenly speed up and jump around wildly :)

We were planning on ducks and one rabbit.
I bought a pregnant rabbit. We have no ducks. LOL

I love going out to the rabbitry and feeling the whole room wake up with excitement and greetings (well, except for Minnie the grumpy doe...), and just going cage to cage to say hello~ they are all so different in personality!
I am enjoying the challenge of figuring breedings, genetics and so on.
And the babies. Lots of babies.

I'm trying to be as self=sufficient as I can be while living on a golf course. I was told that I couldn't have chickens, so I reluctantly started the rabbit thing. I wanted something that I could get my 2 yr old granddaughter into, so rabbits it is.

Wow, what a blessing it was to get them!! If they laid eggs, that would be even better, lol. Like TF3 said, I love going out and watching them run around in their cages. I I also love watching the little ones growing and playing!!

That said, I want them for meat as well. Enjoyment plus food, what more could you ask for?

Bunny therapy, when I am stressed or starting to get grumpy with the grand boys nothing beats holding a bunny..even my great big F.G. is such a love..How can you NOT relax with 16 lbs of bunny resting on your shoulder.??Yep I would spend all day with the buns if I had to time. When the kids go back to school!!!Yeah one more month...kids gone their mom at work and my hubby got a wonderful job so..bunny time!!! :D :D :mbounce:

skysthelimit":1oxdegga said:
They are cute. Pretty much.

:yeahthat:
cat_nods_by_roxaspikachu-d6om31n.gif

I got into them because I wanted something my daughters and I could do together. Something that could be our own hobby/business. We homeschool and I wanted something they could help with and enjoy. With my husband being a very frugal guy I knew it needed to be something self supporting money wise. I also really wanted a type of animal but animals in the house had not gone over well. Rabbits have been the perfect fit! We all enjoy them (even the husband though he may not readily admit it). My daughters help and have learned a lot in the process. The rabbits have not only paid for themselves but provide some spending money from time to time that I appreciate!

When I went into it for all the reasons above I truly had NO IDEA how much I would enjoy it! I had never owned a rabbit or even held one. I did not know how delightful they are!

Although I hope it never happens, I have to admit to becoming somewhat concerned about the economic future of our country, based on the direction it has been going these last few years. (Under Democrat AND Republican abuse!) Last year we started keeping chickens again (Rhode Island Reds) for eggs. I began to make plans for additional animals including rabbits and quail for starters.

My wife and I both really like rabbit meat. And we also like the idea of being at least a little bit self-sufficient. So that was the initial reason.

Now, after having four rabbits for almost a month, and having two new litters in the last two days, I've got more reasons...

There's just something about having a rabbit welcome you into the rabbitry! As soon as I walk in the door the bunnies start moving. The junior doe begin hopping and kicking... Just like a little kid running to meet grandpa! It's the funniest thing. As I walk past her cage to feed the others, she'll follow me. As soon as I open the door she almost jumps into my arms. She INSISTS on being petted before I do anything else.

I started off with rabbits that had been well cared for but not really handled or given much attention. Now they all eat out of my hand. Each has it's own unique personality and quirks.

They're just plain fun and relaxing.

Now, we still plan to use most of them for meat, but I don't mind making pets out of the breeders. I tell myself it will make it easier to handle them and less likely the does will be stressed when they have kits...

I think the Rex is a beautiful rabbit, and its a hobby my husband and I are both interested in. Imagine that.
The meat is always a bonus, and I agree with having a little security in the food department, if times get tough.
The fur will make great throws or blankets, and its a hobby that allows us to be gone for a few days with
minimal care on the part of someone that will feed them when I am gone. It will be so nice to be able to go
on an overnight once in awhile without worry. Hoping to have fewer house pets, and more rabbits.

rtower":zq92ez5x said:
There's just something about having a rabbit welcome you into the rabbitry! As soon as I walk in the door the bunnies start moving. The junior doe begin hopping and kicking... Just like a little kid running to meet grandpa! It's the funniest thing. As I walk past her cage to feed the others, she'll follow me. As soon as I open the door she almost jumps into my arms. She INSISTS on being petted before I do anything else.

I started off with rabbits that had been well cared for but not really handled or given much attention. Now they all eat out of my hand. Each has it's own unique personality and quirks.
Yeah, that too!! :p After an astonishingly short time of 2 days of me training her to come when I called "Come," she figured out EXACTLY where the kitchen was. She'd stand up on hind legs and pat your leg with her front paws for food, and would scratch the fridge so I would pull out a piece of lettuce! :shock: Oh well. She was adorable...all my friends loved her. I would totally raise bunnies, if only to train them to follow me...

She'd stand up on hind legs and pat your leg with her front paws for food, and would scratch the fridge so I would pull out a piece of lettuce!
That reminds me of something that happened years ago, right after we moved onto the property where we now live. We're in a very remote area in southwest Kansas. Rolling sandhills, sage brush and yucca (no trees unless we plant them and put them on drip irrigation!) in the middle of the Cimarron National Grasslands. (We've lived here for 34 years and now have more than 3,000 trees and shrubs on the property that used to be overgrazed grass pasture.)

We had to build a road by hand, then bring in electricity underground from an oil well about a mile away. Finally drilled a well and moved in a mobile home we'd bought when we first started looking for land. Here we were, absolutely isolated. No phone lines, no TV cable (long before satellite TV), no neighbors for at least 5 miles, and 13 miles from the nearest very small town. We were in heaven!!! (Still are!)

Anyway, I built a little wood bench outside a kind of picture window in the house. Made a feeder out of an old, gray rotted tree branch. Would fill the feeder with rolled milo to feed the quail. We loved watching all the wildlife that would come right up to the house. All kinds of birds, deer and cottontail rabbits.

One evening I decided to try something. I sat on the bench, poured a little pile of milo on top of each shoe, then filled both hands with milo and bent over, holding my hands about a foot off the ground. Within minutes the cottontails started gathering. I used to have a photo my wife took... Seven cottontails eating, some off my shoes, some standing on their hind legs with their paws on my hands and arms as they all ate. And these were WILD rabbits. That was a hoot!!

Thanks for reminding me of that funnies50!

I love the challenge of genetics, of seeing my stock improve because of my decisions. The cuddly kits are a definite plus too

rtower":9ex7tqyt said:
Although I hope it never happens, I have to admit to becoming somewhat concerned about the economic future of our country, based on the direction it has been going these last few years. (Under Democrat AND Republican abuse!) Last year we started keeping chickens again (Rhode Island Reds) for eggs. I began to make plans for additional animals including rabbits and quail for starters.

My wife and I both really like rabbit meat. And we also like the idea of being at least a little bit self-sufficient. So that was the initial reason.

Now, after having four rabbits for almost a month, and having two new litters in the last two days, I've got more reasons...

They're just plain fun and relaxing.

Now, we still plan to use most of them for meat, but I don't mind making pets out of the breeders. I tell myself it will make it easier to handle them and less likely the does will be stressed when they have kits...
That all sums up our reasons, too. :)

rtower":9ex7tqyt said:
Thanks for reminding me of that funnies50!
What a cute story! :D

Honestly, besides the cute factor, it's that and chickens, can't have large livestock in the city. Tried the chickens, but they were noisy, smelly, destroyed things scratching and took up too much room. Rabbits are quieter, maybe not less smelly, but easier to conceal, and grow a lot faster (except for meat birds). I love fur, and the genetics are more interesting.

skysthelimit":3gserqo4 said:
Honestly, besides the cute factor, it's that and chickens, can't have large livestock in the city. Tried the chickens, but they were noisy, smelly, destroyed things scratching and took up too much room. Rabbits are quieter, maybe not less smelly, but easier to conceal, and grow a lot faster (except for meat birds). I love fur, and the genetics are more interesting.
My vote is rabbits are less smelly... there are a few "types" of chicken poop, and some of them are nasty! Of course, that's usually what gets on me :sick: , not the grassier, more neutral stuff.

Latest posts

Back