Favorite Breeds

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lopluvva

Reaction score
Let's get biased here for a minute and discuss how great our breeds are. ;)
Just kidding, but I would like to see which breeds are good for what reasons as I will be getting some rabbits for a small scale show rabbitry in the future. Thanks!

Thanks everyone for the replies!
So far, in order of likeliness, I'll be raising
Jersey Woolies
Mini Lops
Mini Rex
Dwarf Hotot

My favorite breed is....whatever rabbit happens to be giving me more rabbits at the time, which at the moment happens to be a cali bunny churning machine! It used to be NZW but she died so we have no more. I'd love my favorite to be SF but they really haven't been breeding well for me since...well, since I got them.

For large breeds my favorite is probably American Chinchillas. The champagne d'argent weren't bad. Despite their potential health problems out of the small breeds I like netherlands. I have had several with good personalities and no noticeable health problem. It wasn't until I ventured in to some local show lines that I had all sorts of nonviable litters and health problems. Dutch and mini rex are probably about tied. Like the netherlands the rex do give a lot of color variety even beyond what's shown. I'd like some chinchilla rex because it looks so strange on a rex coat. A wideband chinchilla rex is really interesting. They call them ghost chinchillas. Absolutely cannot find any though. http://www.pets4homes.co.uk/classifieds ... dford.html

Velveteen Lop - Love the long ears and rex fur. Sadly they are not a recognized breed yet. Main reason I prefer them over English Lops are their smaller size. I've never owned one though but they are on my list.

English Lop - I've owned one before and loved it. If space allowed for it, I'd have them in my rabbitry.

For small breeds I like Lionheads (have 4 now and have bred them for a while) I may never breed them for show as I do not like the big head manes of today's standard. I find it takes away from the beauty of their faces.

For medium breeds I like Mini Rex (never had one)

For large breeds I like Flemish Giants (never had one because of space)

For fur I'm partial to French Angoras (have a trio now, nearing breeding age). I don't like the rabbits face hidden under fur which puts the Frenchies in front. Satin would be fine too.

I don't breed meat rabbits but when I do there is only one I like and that is New Zealand Red. I'm not a fan of Hybrids, REW or Calis. I'd be willing to breed the reds until I got a great purebred meat producer as I like them that much.

My favourite small breeds are Polish, Havana, and Mini Rex. Mostly because I'm a fur afficianado, normal fur is no fun for me and neither is wool, also I prefer the non dwarf breeds.
My preference for the rest is, of course, Rex. Tons of colour to work with and getting all the traits I want in my herd is a fun challenge as well.

French angora.

Try have great wool for spinning, and they're more low maintenance than the other angora breeds. They are also built on a nice, large, meaty carriage, which makes them dual purpose. And though most people don't think of it, the hides off of them turn out pretty fun. Also, you can get nearly any color of them, though I've never seen otter or harlequin, but I wouldn't be surprised if they're out there somewhere, though they're not showable.

Also, they're the only breed I've never had to put any effort into as far as socialization. Just with as much as I'm usually out with the rabbits, all of the kits are just climbing over each other and nearly Falling out the cage door just to get pets.

English lops are my favorite show breed. Their ears are great, but I think that mandolin body is just stunning when posed. They also have great personalities. They are fun. My favorite meat breed are the rare Giant Chinchillas. Another mandolin breed, with a laid back personality like a Flemish. I have tried several medium sized breeds...and I think I finally found the one I want to work with--the Lilac, another rare breed. If the breeding goes well with them this fall and winter, I see them working with them for a long time. I think I am finally done trying out different breeds of rabbits. :)

Back