Fat Mini Rex Buck! Weightloss Log!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jessie15273

Reaction score

Look at this Fatty! He is a mini rex buck and he is HUUUUUUGE. He weighs 6.02lbs when he should weigh, 3 1/2 maaaaybe 4lbs! He is definitely a dwarf too, no brood sized here!

I can more than pinch an inch on this little sucker. He has a dewlap too!

I am trying to get him to lose some weight so he is in a really long pen with water on one end and a little bit of feed on the other, so he has to walk back and forth. He runs for a little then lays down all tired out.

Any other suggestions to get him to lose weight?

Add a small wooden box and have food on one of them and water on the other at opposite ends, so he has to jump?

put up a 2 x 2 at first for him to hop over and then increase it to 4 x 2 and then 6 x 2 over time. he'll be able to clear it eventually and it will be good exercise for him too. Then add some "stuff" for him to hop under, around, over etc.

LOL yep get a saddle and whip and getting him in a round pen! Kidding of course!

Maybe limit the pellets and lots of hay!
Good luck with his weight loss, can't wait to see him all slender and handsom!

Scatter the pellets around the cage so he must hunt for them.
Give him a companion to chase.
Put him in a rabbit roller in the yard so he can wander, although it can take a while for timid rabbits to 'un-freeze' and get going.

jessie15273":piegmxbb said:
ChickiesnBunnies":piegmxbb said:
Add a small wooden box and have food on one of them and water on the other at opposite ends, so he has to jump?

Ooooh Good idea!
This is exactly what I would suggest. I have a doe who only wanted to sit in the corner of her cage and eat, and needless to say, all she was doing was getting fat. I decided to put a shelf across part of her cage and have her pellets and water on the bottom and her hay and a little bit of BOSS (as a lure until she got the hang of it) on top.
It worked way better than I could have imagined! She started jumping up onto the shelf within 10 minutes, and after a few days I almost always found her hanging around up top instead of down in the corner like before. And she did lose weight!

Wishing you all the best in getting your buck back in shape! :clover:

Rick weighed in today at 4.65 Lbs! Still a bit to go, but he has made major progress.

He is now a very friendly rabbit. He is also a dad now! The doe that he was housed with, under the previous owner, had 5 lovely little kits sometime today! Only day 27! I was going to put the nest box in and laughed. I had a bunch of straw in there from right after I got her, since i didnt know wether she was pregnant or not, so she must have had just enough to build a nest!

Funny how dad is a Broken blue, and mom is a Solid Black, and the babies were Broken Black, and Solid blue. Probably because I was hoping for Broken blue babies!

Wow! You need to market your miraculous weight loss diet- just think how quickly people would shed the pounds on a diet of hay and pellets! :p

He looks wonderful, and I am sure he feels so much better. :)

:bunnyhop: "Look at me! I can catch some air when I binky now!" :bunnyhop:

MamaSheepdog":2j8eph7p said:
Wow! You need to market your miraculous weight loss diet- just think how quickly people would shed the pounds on a diet of hay and pellets! :p

He looks wonderful, and I am sure he feels so much better. :)

:bunnyhop: "Look at me! I can catch some air when I binky now!" :bunnyhop:

Hmm I may have to try it :lol:

Latest posts

Back