Failure to thrive, or?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fireclaws bunnbutts

Reaction score
So, my 7 babies hit 2 weeks old yesterday, however, since about a week old, one has been going down hill, super skinny but still developing. Eyes even opened along with everyone else.

Is the poor little thing just not able to keep up with it's bigger siblings or what? It's still really active, and clean, clean eyes, clean bum, clean nose etc. I have been giving it water and a little bit of sugar water, cause it's really dehydrated, I've also been trying to get it to eat the pellets I've been leaving in the box, is there something else I can give it? I think someone said soaked oats works, but I'm not sure.

2eelv1c.jpg

2mo8pwy.jpg

Should I let it keep going and see what happens or should I cull it?

Pic next to a sibling.
33ms6f5.jpg

The other babies have remained fat and healthy, I'm just not sure what's going on.

That kit is near death from starvation.
It could have something wrong with it, or it might just not be competitive.

Feeding them all old fashioned oatmeal (to reduce competition at the teat), and maybe giving Momma a bit of boss to boost milk production would be one way to go.
A slurry of oat and mashed pumpkin (both very high in soluble fiber) is also easy on a kit's digestive tract. Formula ingredients like goat's milk or egg yolk can be added and fed by dropper or dish, however kit will take it. You might have to force feed, since even kits can experience stasis.

Grass hay is great...
Pellets, no so much. The soybean hulls used for fiber in a lot of pellets is a bit harder on weanlings.

Euthanasia is another perfectly valid option.
It's probably what I'd do, in this instance.

Either way, good luck, but don't beat yourself up it expires.
With kits like this, there is always a chance it won't make it no matter what you do. :clover:

I should have added... with poor doing kits you need to look at the following

1. did they have any other issues (ie nestbox eye) which could signify a poor immune system?
2. if they aren't doing well by 3.5 weeks you might as well cull them. They won't pick up and they will generally die on you for no apparent reason.

Back