Eyelid red and swollen

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stone soup farm

Reaction score
Last night my husband moved one of our AM Chin girls to a lower and larger cage. She was fine when we moved her. This morning when I was feeding them I noticed her right eye is swollen. Upon further investigation it seems to actually be her eyelid. It is really red and bulging. Not sure what to do or if leaving it alone would be better. If often seems that the eye can heal itself pretty well from trauma, but an obstruction or infection would be a different story.

Getting pictures to show how it looks. Will post soon.

I was planning on breeding her this weekend. That plan may be shot. I am heading to work soon but my husband may be around. It looks more swollen than from when we first noticed about 1 hr ago. Pictures are about 15 minutes old.<br /><br />__________ Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:56 am __________<br /><br />Hey owned, is this what your looks like?

Attachments

• eye1.JPG
    eye1.JPG
    101.7 KB · Views: 401
  • eye2.JPG
    eye2.JPG
    42.8 KB · Views: 401
Gosh, that is odd. That is her inner eyelid... bulging. Hmmm. What does it look like when closed?

No, mine is not like that at all. It is like the bottom eyelid of mine being reddish colored...

I'd flush it with a sterile solution(I use contact lens solution), and then check to make sure she didn't get any hay or anything in there. I'd apply polysporin eye drops as well, and re-evaluate this evening, to see if swelling has gone down at all.

Thanks Bad Habit. I was thinking of saline flushing but didn't want to make it worse. I will have my husband do that. I don't have the eye drops you are taking about. Where do you get it. I do have a antibiotic powder specifically for eye of rabbits. Would that due?

Owned, she hasn't closed it all the way, only half. It actually bulges about half as much less when her eye is half closed.

I would think that powder would do. I got the polysporin drops at the local pharmacy, they're for people but I have successfully used them on cats, dogs and rabbits.

A group I am part of suggested it might be an injury from wire or feeder. I saw that we did have one of the feeder wires poking in and not turned out like normal. I have flushed it and will check later tonight. If it isn't looking better I will use the antibiotics

Back