english lop ...now I want one :/

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sinnfox

Reaction score
I'll admit it ,,I didnt particularly want/like them before. Not because I'd had one or anything rational like that. Its the way they look in pictures. the pose from show always looked like they were kinda sad depressed bunnies and I know that sounds silly >.> well I was trying to buy another holland, supposed to pair better with my buck then the doe i already have that is working through a case of the stupids. (she kill her most recent litter so yeah I'm not happy with her) So i'm in their front yard looking over my new holland and out from the back yard hopping around without a care in the world comes their english lop who it seems regularly escapes his pen. He is adorably and came right over to us. even my husband was watching him (he claims it tripped on its ears at least twice but i didn't see that) well now i want some....silly adorable friendly rabbit >.< even distracted me so i didn't notice my new little holland doe has some kind of infection :/ not happy about not seeing that but if it can be treated and she doesn't have anything worse like a case of the sneezes I'll be fine. o_O anyone with english lops know any info that would drive me away from the idea of getting them >.>because from what the breeder said they are just like flemish giants personality wise and that isn't helping me resist the erge to find a bunch and get in a lot of trouble >.>

I just butchered out our English Lop buck. He was a jerk. Not mean but just a jerk. He was loose in the yard for a while and would ram my leg with his head. He would jump at us and sometimes kick at us. We were never bit but have got scratches from him jumping for his food. We did not like him at all. His offspring were jerks also.

Demamma, I think you might have had the one and only English lop who was ever a jerk.
Yes, I'm prejudiced. I got back into rabbits and could choose whichever breed I wanted, and I went back to English lops. They are funny, friendly, goofy, yes trippy rabbits who as a general rule have never met anyone they didn't like.

At convention, when everybunny else was pouting and sullen and sitting with their butts to your face, the English lops were at the front of their cages, sticking their noses thru, begging for a petting.

Mine are consistently underfoot, underhand, under anything that may be in the cage or out of it. When loose, catching them isn't a problem, trying to walk without stepping on them is. I literally had a buck choke himself into unconsciousness because unknown to me, his head hanging out of the cage to get petted was sitting just right to keep him from breathing. Scared me to death.

The bunnies are hilarious as they try to learn to get around without falling on their ears. Usually born with over an inch of ear already, their ears and tails are the longest in the rabbit world.

The down side to owning an English lop? You have to cut his toenails.
That's it. Their ears don't require any more care than any other rabbit. Their fur is just like any other rabbit. they eat about a cup of food per day. I assume that is consistent with any rabbit their size.

Here's a few of mine, just to help you think about it.
SUNP0035.JPG
20130616_094514.jpg
20130616_094712.jpg
20131008_183929.jpg

I had one and he was so sweet! He dislocated his leg somehow, so he became unshowable and unable to breed, so I petted him out to a wonderful family and he has full run of their barn. I really wish I still had the space for one :( the only downside is that they eat 2-3 times more than a mini lop. I highly recommend them as long as you can overlook how much they eat!:)<br /><br />__________ Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:34 pm __________<br /><br />^ and yes we banded his leg and he finally healed with a gimpy walk

Well i did have flemish giants...but only have one left...so how much they eat isnt a problem...when trying to read about them I saw a website say thier tails will just break off if you mess with them to much...so I stopped reading that site (its a rabbit not a lizzard o_O)...the person that is supposed to be getting breeding stock that i planned to buy from isnt returning my text..or sending me the pedigre for the holland i bought from them...so I guess i am safe for a while since I have no other leads on where to get one....

although from the pics i so want some from luvabunny...the little tris are adorable...and Oklahoma isn't to far from Texas..~thinks~ ...how much do you charge for bunnies when you have them available luvabunny? >.> got any solid black ones normally ..>.> ok I'm gonna get myself in so much trouble o.o

Got jrs and intermediates available right now. The tri in the pic is available as well. He does have a broken tail, so not showable.

I will be in Duncan at the show Fri and Sat. Carriers all say AKF Rabbitry.

Prices range from 50.00 to 150.00 (tri's) with full pedigrees.

"If" I get solid blacks (its not common) I sell them. I don't like solid black rabbits. None available at the moment.

Come see me in Duncan. They have another show over Thanksgiving weekend, so time to plan.

see thats why I know I will be in trouble...luckly for me I guess i', pretty broke at the moment..:/ would you mind if i contact you again when I get more money available?...i think at the moment I probably don't even have the money to pay the gas to get there :p otherwise I'd call dibs on the broken tailed one and bring him home with me :p

Latest posts

Back