Easter and Pet Rabbits

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ladysown

Staff member
Reaction score
First off.... I don't breed rabbits for Easter, BUT I sell rabbits AT Easter. But I don't JUST sell rabbits at Easter. I sell rabbits consistently from the middle of September to the end of June. Consistently.

I have a name and reputation for selling quiet, friendly, make you smile at them for their silliness bunnies that grow up to be sound mature adults with a modicum of proper handling by their owners. I educate their owners as much as I possibly can. It's what I do.

I don't have a problem with people selling rabbits at Easter as long as they are consistent in what they do year round.

My prices are higher than the average "pet bunny, I've raised them, now I want to dump them on somebody and I don't much care who". (you know the free or $5-15 bunnies).

YET... people want to villify me for what I do.

I have often talked with people who ask me... where are all the bunnies? why can I only buy the bunnies I want at Easter? I don't know what to tell them. I don't get it either.

But yet the people who BUY at Easter (even if they've been looking for a while for JUST what they want) and those who sell year round are treated just like those who breed specifically for the holidays and don't really care who they sell to or why someone wants them.

This happens every year....and I don't get it.

YES...I understand the vexation of dealing with the "I want a cute bunny for Easter". These people just want to make a deal and get a cute little thing for their kids. They RARELY come to me since I don't offer that really good deal and I DON'T hold bunnies for Easter morning pickup. On the rare occasion that those folks come to me, I say is come, borrow a bunny. Pay me some rent. Enjoy bunny for a week. It's all good to me and teaches them a thing or two. They are happy, the bunny comes back healthy and life continues (and no one gets hurt). And no bunny gets dumped.

I don't deserved to "be kicked" for selling at Easter. I don't deserve to be "kicked" for responding to those emails of "I just want a cute bunny" if someone chooses to email me.

There are folks who perhaps should be encouraged to take a longer term viewpoint....but so should the buyers.
Why are the breeder/sellers villified?
Why aren't the "I want six darling bunnies to buy for the absolute cheapest price I can manage", "or get me the cutest, youngest, fluffiest bunny you can find"... Should they not be held accountable?

The Easter Season is no different (to me) than any other time of the year.

People need to make responsible decisions.
And that is ALL that should mattter.

Buyer or seller....are you making a responsible, reasoned decision regardless of the time of year?

Slight rant over now....can you tell I've had one too many "you are a horrid person" emails???

I don't sell anywhere near Easter or Christmas, way too many people buying just for kicks or gifting rabbits. I refuse to sell to people buying them as gifts to others or their kid's birthdays as well. That's rabbits and all other animals.

{{{{{hugs}}}}} Ladysown. It's the downside of the internet, IMO. I am on some Facebook groups specifically aimed at rabbits as livestock, or general livestock, and get blasted from BOTH sides. I am horrible for breeding too often (because I don't show and I eat my mistakes), or foolish for not breeding often enough, and keeping friendly ones past their "prime age". One guy even blasted me for telling a woman (whose post had been about how difficult she was finding it to steel herself for her first dispatch)that I thanked the rabbit's spirit before dispatching. If she or I couldn't just "whack them, they're dinner and have no spirits", we shouldn't be raising meat rabbits! Luckily, I have been insulted by better than him, and came back with "thanking the rabbit's spirit is my religion, and no sillier than saying grace before a meal", at which point he shut up. My point to you being, you do what is right for YOU, and ignore the folks who want to be petty.

I don't really have a problem with selling Easter buns. I treat everyone exactly the same, use my instincts and if I feel something isn't right, then I just say I don't have anything available, and offer some tips. If I don't sell them the rabbit, someone else will, and then they might not have someone telling them all the negatives before they make their choice, nor someone willing to take back the rabbit if they change their minds.

That is really disgusting, that good, honest breeders get vilified because people buy bunnies from them at Easter. Is it really ultimately the breeder's responsibility what happens to the rabbit? No. Many breeders on here have protocols in place for selling pets, to ensure as much as possible that that rabbit will have a good home. I think that's excellent! But still, they can't force the new owners to do right by that bunny.

We just let our very first pet bunny go out the door recently. We gave it to the 5-year-old daughter of the pastor up the road. They were eager to learn about caring for the rabbit, waited patiently for a couple of wounds she received being bullied in growout to heal (the wounds saved her -- we brought her inside to get her away from her tormentors until butchering day... and that's when my daughter discovered how sweet she was). We hear bunny stories regularly. Her name is Carrot. :lol:

I would not ordinarily have done this, but I knew the pastor and his wife were responsible people and that that rabbit would be well cared for. That little girl loves Carrot dearly, and Carrot is just a sweetheart of a bunny.

Ultimately, though, it is the buyer's responsibility to be sure the bunny is taken care of. The only way the seller could make sure that none of their rabbits ever ended up in a bad home would be never to sell. Which, of course, would lead to a lot less breeding. Which, of course, is exactly what these people want. :?

I find that there is no longer a big/large market for Easter Bunnies,
years ago/before computers and video games there was!
I breed Rabbits year round and I sell them for a variety of purposes.
I sell for Pets, Meat and and all the other obvious uses.
Once a rabbit leaves my rabbitry it's care is no longer my problem.
It is up to the purchaser to do their homework and provide for the
rabbits care, that includes housing, feed, and protection from the elements.
All rabbits leave after as much information as I can provide and with a care list
including my website and phone number. I am happy to help with any problem
they believe they are having with their purchase.
I can count on one hand the number of times I have been called.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

I test people no matter when they want the rabbit. If I tell the I won't sell for Easter/Christmas/birthdays/impulse, take a rain check, and they respond that they are willing to do so, make a good case for it, then that's great. If not then well, it doesn't matter. It's just so much easier to say no, with all the problems it causes.

None of the Easter bunny request I have read so far or received struck me as well thought out inquiries about getting a rabbit, just some silly impulsive person looking for a cute pet.

I just sold two pregnant MR to a lady and her daughter for 4H Monday, and to a woman who was willing to wait for a bunny for her daughter's birthday.

Both of their emails were more than --I want the cutest, fluffiest bunny ever---now that is the stupidest email I've ever received. What I have is on my site. If a person says---I want a holland lop baby, suitable for kids, to surprise my kids for Easter-- then I might give them the Easter spiel, see what their experience is with rabbits, and maybe we can work something out.

I'm curious to see how many people at the show we're going to today will have either people specifically looking for easter bunnies, or people purposely advertising to sell easter bunnies. Most of us on here are pretty good at making sure we educate pet owners and find the right fit. It will be interesting to see a week out from easter how many other Illinois breeders do the same.

A couple of years ago, I made the decision not to sell "pets". That's a personal preference. I surely don't condemn those that do choose to sell pets. But, there's other circumstances that need to be brought into consideration.

First of all: All of my stock is meat rabbits. Meaning they are fairly large when grown. They don't remain small, cute, and cuddly like a lot of the smaller breeds. Their large size "could" create a hazard for a youngster should they decide to kick. I just don't think they'd make a good pet for a small youngster.

But, most importantly, I worry over the extended care the rabbit will receive after the "new" has worn off.

grumpy.

I don't condem reputable breeders for selling a quality easter rabbit, it's the people on craigslist that breed 100+ baby rabbits to sell for easter. Seriously. The georgia craigslist market is FLOODED with these kinds of people. "We have about 100 babies to sell, so come pick one up for $15each of $10 for two!"

I just personally won't sell or breed during Easter time. I'll have them being born or bred, but I just feel strongly that if people want a quality pet rabbit, it can wait. I'm just not in a hurry to get anything out the door. Sometimes, I just go ahead and eat them if I just get one too many idiot emails.

What really irks me is when people just don't read. Before someone can send an email, it says READ THE WEBSITE IT WILL ANSWER MOST IF NOT ALL QUESTIONS. I want to make sure that people will take the time, or they get nothing. Especially when it's questions such as price and what is available or when I'll have more available. Those FAQs are already answered.

I've had people get frustrated because I just point them back in the direction of something as simple as the sales agreement page. Like reading is too much for them.

I work in a grocery store were you have to deal with cows.....I mean people. People need to slow down and not be in such a hurry. You miss things when you are in a rush. People are too used to instant gratification.

That being said, I won't sell on holidays because more often than not, in my area, they didn't realize that they are "allergic",etc.

I've had some really nice families buy from me, but I've also had a rabbit returned because their child felt he was too "grouchy" and just couldn't keep up with the cleaning. So they are getting a puppy instead....

Now I have a sweet,nuetered buck in my rabbitry that I used for Easter photos last weekend,that was a big favorite, that will hopefully be going to his forever home this afternoon.

I'll always take them back, but my concern is how they will be taken cared of long term. Even some homes I thought would be perfect, have turned out to be not as perfect as originally thought.

I have been around animals all my life- pets and livestock. My animals get treated well, for all of their lives. So much so that my brother has told me "If reincarnation exists, I want to come back as one of your animals".

You want to know who I look down on in this issue? The supposed adults who buy the animals only to see them discarded down the road. We have just gone so far down the instant gratification "me me me" road that it has extended to living creatures. "So what, I don't know anything about rabbits- just give them some carrots and they'll be fine. I just know little Susie wants one now." What ends up happening out in my rural area is the animals get dumped, and I end up picking them up and bringing them home. There is little in this life that angers me more than that.

Bless all of you who educate first, and sell second. I don't even have my first set of pet/meat breeding rabbits, and I am already working on a fact and care sheet for them. I am already thinking about HOW I want to sell them, what method to use to try and cut down on responses from those "me me me now now now" folks.

I also don't want to pet out any of my rabbit, just looking through buy and sells on FB and other online classifides it's amazing how many rabbits are sold because they "didn't have time", "kids lost intrest" etc.
I breed for food, my snakes, dogs and us. I do have a phone number for a woman who has had rabbits before and wants one from my MR x lionhead litter which is due Monday.

I was in my local pet store to pick up some crickets (never buy anything else there) and noticed they were stocking up on all things rabbit.

Tiny 12 x 18 'rabbit cages' on sale, lots of treats, a 1 pound bag of timothy for $5 (lol) and of course extra glass cages to show off their bunnies for sale.

People will do what people will do and I dont villify the breeders, they are just meeting a demand, but I personally wont add to the problem.

Likely by the time July comes around some of these ill thought out pet purchases will end up at my door and I will clean up other peoples messes as I have done for most of my life, and get a bunch of free cages, treats, toys and dog food.

ladysown":2iyuuuz7 said:
The Easter Season is no different (to me) than any other time of the year.

People need to make responsible decisions.
And that is ALL that should mattter.

Buyer or seller....are you making a responsible, reasoned decision regardless of the time of year?

Very good post!

I sell year round, I do not care what season it is.
I only have large rabbits, I breed for meat. so when some one wants a cute little bunny
they do not find any with me. I refuse to sell younger than 8 weeks, and I demand a high price.
I do not care if the rabbit becomes a pet, snake/dog food or people food.
I understand the rabbit most liky be dispatched, dose not bother me, however if I ever hear
someone abuse or mistreated one of my rabbits, they will never get another one from me. no matter how much
they offer. I do not believe in being cruel to animals.
so if someone wants to but a 5 pound bunny for Easter or Christmas I am happy to sell them one.
and if they want to pick it up on Easter Sunday or Christmas day. I am willing to do this. However they pay a lot extra for this, and they also have an appointment time, if they miss their time. they have to wait for the next business day to pick up. and no refunds.

dragonladyleanne":1xs6t05q said:
{{{{{hugs}}}}} Ladysown. It's the downside of the internet, IMO. I am on some Facebook groups specifically aimed at rabbits as livestock, or general livestock, and get blasted from BOTH sides. I am horrible for breeding too often (because I don't show and I eat my mistakes), or foolish for not breeding often enough, and keeping friendly ones past their "prime age". One guy even blasted me for telling a woman (whose post had been about how difficult she was finding it to steel herself for her first dispatch)that I thanked the rabbit's spirit before dispatching. If she or I couldn't just "whack them, they're dinner and have no spirits", we shouldn't be raising meat rabbits! Luckily, I have been insulted by better than him, and came back with "thanking the rabbit's spirit is my religion, and no sillier than saying grace before a meal", at which point he shut up. My point to you being, you do what is right for YOU, and ignore the folks who want to be petty.

..................WELL SAID.

Marinea":1xs6t05q said:
I have been around animals all my life- pets and livestock. My animals get treated well, for all of their lives. So much so that my brother has told me "If reincarnation exists, I want to come back as one of your animals".

You want to know who I look down on in this issue? The supposed adults who buy the animals only to see them discarded down the road. We have just gone so far down the instant gratification "me me me" road that it has extended to living creatures. "So what, I don't know anything about rabbits- just give them some carrots and they'll be fine. I just know little Susie wants one now." What ends up happening out in my rural area is the animals get dumped, and I end up picking them up and bringing them home. There is little in this life that angers me more than that.

Bless all of you who educate first, and sell second. I don't even have my first set of pet/meat breeding rabbits, and I am already working on a fact and care sheet for them. I am already thinking about HOW I want to sell them, what method to use to try and cut down on responses from those "me me me now now now" folks.

I took some heat from a few friends who found out I'd rather eat my culls than sell as a pet if I think they aren't going to the right home. My first "pet sale" just went through, and I was terrified I was sending a very sweet little buck to a nightmare-life. Fortunately my instincts about the new owners were right, that bunny has the good life!!! He has his own BEDROOM. :lol:

But it took a lot of dialogue from those people before I felt I could trust them. Because as you say, so many people are "instant gratification only" and then, the animal suffers. :(

They are voiceless and innocent.

That being said, I have no issues with good people who happen to have rabbits for sale around the holidays. The issues are the people who BUY at that time............the impulse-people, who know jack about rabbit care and have the foresight of NOTHING.

Wyldrose":1xs6t05q said:
I also don't want to pet out any of my rabbit, just looking through buy and sells on FB and other online classifides it's amazing how many rabbits are sold because they "didn't have time", "kids lost intrest" etc.
I breed for food, my snakes, dogs and us. I do have a phone number for a woman who has had rabbits before and wants one from my MR x lionhead litter which is due Monday.

Not to sound cruel, but.........I hate the "don't have time" ones. I'm sorry, my rabbits get a lot of attention, and it doesn't take a whole heck of a lot of time. I have, what. Eight rabbits now? Seven? Eight? Jeez I should go count, LOL. Everyone gets talked to, everyone gets petted, everyone gets checked over for condition and health.......EVERY day.

When you breed, do you work on behavior first or looks first? Some of my really sweet rabbits are rather plain looking. Should I breed them or should I just breed the good looking ones and pick the ones that turn out to be sweethearts.

breed temperament first then breed for colour. But you should already have temperament... who wants to breed a rabbit who wants to take a bite out of you for just reaching into the cage? NOT ME...

If your rabbits handle reasonably well you should be fine....then you start looking for what sells in your area. For me... my best sales are orange/fawn or sable points .. with flash thrown in for good measure. even the colourful orange/black meat kits sell reasonable well for pets...and what doesn't... well I know what a freezer is for. :)

I'd deal sooner with a not-so-nice buck than I would a not-so-nice doe... Does pass their attitudes to the kits a bit more readily, as they're actually raising the babies, and the babies learn their actions/reactions from her.

Just to share my experience :
My friend raises & breeds sled dogs. She breeds them - purposefully - once or twice a year. Maybe. Sometimes no pups that year. That said... Dogs are great at getting off their chains. Even if its 3 dogs that to off their chain in a year, that could still mean 3 litters. That and the arrangement of the dogs. Her friend has sled dogs as well, and until he arranged his dogs differently he had about a litter a month... LOL. But he has since moved them and not nearly as many pups are being born.

So back to my friend. One year she had an oops litter that happened to be selling age around Christmas. She stopped selling them. She refused to sell them around Christmas, and I respected that. When/if I sell my rabbits as pets, ill likely stop selling around Christmas, Easter, etc. just too many on-a-whim people out there. I mean, we've bought a lot of animals on a whim, but we take good care of them. And that's the difference. I don't mind impulse buying, but if you do it, treat the animal right. Don't neglect it or abuse it.
I also thank animals for dying for me. That's what's so hard about butchering your own animals. When im hunting, it's easy to become a predator, stalk the animal, chase, kill. But with butchering your own animals, you don't have any stalking, chasing, you just kill. And it's harder because you know the animal, you can get right next to it (vs a wild animal that's running away), you know the animal. That's why I'm going to have a hard time come butchering time.. :( also why my mom refuses to help me butcher anything other then a pest (ie sick animal, or aggressive)

Back