Early Nester

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rae

Reaction score
Bride is due on 4/27 but I caught her digging in her hay this morning. So I re-scrubbed and sanitized her nest box and put it into place, thinking maybe she was ready to start building. I came back something like 2 hours later and she had moved ALL of her hay into the nest box and started pulling fur. I gave her a bit more hay and she went right back to work. The nest building didn't shock me, but the early fur pulling sure did. It's been my (limited) experience that they don't pull until right before or right after kindling. Last time she pulled after. I'm hoping this doesn't mean it's a false pregnancy, I was really looking forward to some more cuteness since most of our kits are leaving in the next week or so.

Rae":vdcbegta said:
The nest building didn't shock me, but the early fur pulling sure did. It's been my (limited) experience that they don't pull until right before or right after kindling.

Mine have been doing this too! I always knew kits were on the way when the does pulled fur, but I had four does kindle today, and all had built nests early AND pulled fur, plus more kits to come on the 27th and that doe has also done both.

Maybe the gals are as confused by this crazy weather as we are, and want to be prepared for any eventuality!

True. Last night was 40 and by thursday it's supposed to be back in the 80's. There was even more fur this morning, I had to stick my fingers in to be sure there weren't any kits hidden.
I'm really proud of Bride, she did such a great job as a first time mom. Raised both litters of kits, hers and Honky's. They're now six weeks and the smallest one weighs just shy of 2 pounds.

Scream builds the nest a week in advance. She was due Sunday, but pulled fur and kindled Sat.

Latest posts

Back